Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Differential Growling

CaptainMike

Reaction score
This happened to me. My truck is currently at the dealership for the front transfer case to be replaced. Waited 2 months for parts, they had my truck for a month prior. Hopefully they fix it. I had metal shavings too

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I hope that fixes it. My dealership finally replaced the front driveshaft with a newly engineered one and that fixed my issue.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I hope that fixes it. My dealership finally replaced the front driveshaft with a newly engineered one and that fixed my issue.
I'm not sure if I received the newly engineered one or not, how to you check it? New part number. I'd like to see. But had a lot of metal shavings in the transfer case

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I received the newly engineered one or not, how to you check it? New part number. I'd like to see. But had a lot of metal shavings in the transfer case

You should get a copy of the work order from your dealer detailing what was done, that will tell you if the DS was replaced.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
This happened to me. My truck is currently at the dealership for the front transfer case to be replaced. Waited 2 months for parts, they had my truck for a month prior. Hopefully they fix it. I had metal shavings too

Hi @waveslayer,

Please send our team a private message with your VIN, and we would be happy to provide additional support alongside the dealership.

Blair
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have this exact type thing going on- 2022 ram 3500, approximately 2500 miles and noticed howl- grind type noise in front axle. Made an appointment (3 weeks out) and was told best if don’t drive it much. Stopped by schwabs and they said it’s internal in differential. Ehhhhh I bought this for my business-!!!! Driver side tire when jacked makes noise!
Hi @Rcc,

We regret to learn about your vehicle concerns. Please send us a private message with your VIN and we can look into this alongside the dealership.

Blair
Ram Cares

Aketay

Reaction score
I have this exact type thing going on- 2022 ram 3500, approximately 2500 miles and noticed howl- grind type noise in front axle. Made an appointment (3 weeks out) and was told best if don’t drive it much. Stopped by schwabs and they said it’s internal in differential. Ehhhhh I bought this for my business-!!!! Driver side tire when jacked makes noise!
After I replaced the hub assembly on both sides, I noticed a slight noise only when spinning the drivers side. At my next tire rotation the noise is the same. Sounds like it is coming from the front differential. At 440,000 miles I guess I got good use of it. My biggest new noise is the rear end shakes from 65 to 68 mph. Ujoints are good, maybe the carrier bearing?

U27380

Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie with ~ 2000 (yes, two thousand) miles and the front differential starts growling in 4WD hi or low. Take it to the dealer, they drain it and see "a lot" of metal in the oil. They are replacing the whole differential assembly and believe it or not the parts will be here next week. Funny, the day I drove it off of the lot I could feel a low vibrating hum through the steering wheel , gas pedal, and the seat of my pants. I've never driven a vehicle or operated a piece of equipment feeling something like that that didn't eventually break down. I have a feeling that hum will be gone once the diff is replaced.

I've scanned through many of the threads and have seen no one else with this issue, has anyone else here had to deal with this yet? The dealer said they had a similar job with a 2021 with 60k miles and they had to replace the spider gears. The service rep ordered the parts while I was there and he said systemwide there were 6 orders and 30 part sets on the shelf. I hope this is a limited issue and all I'll have to deal with on a BRAND NEW, EXPENSIVE truck. The world we have built for ourselves, I guess.
Curious if there were any problems afterwards? Ram just replaced my front differential and I’m curious how the longevity will be now?

RyanShine12

Reaction score
I forgot to report back for anyone needing more information. My issues seemed to come from the 6" ReadyLift install missing the index ring to clock the t case. Installer skipped that very important part. Had an offroad shop near me install that, once the TC was clocked down it returned the shafts to stock angles, which fixed my issues. The front shaft was binding, becuase the angle and because it was hardly in place (took two guys to hold it while installing for it not to slip out). Dealer replace front shaft (I think with the newer upgraded one, not entirely sure how to tell) and brand new T-Case. 100% solved my issue, no binding, no howling, no shaft popping. Drives straight as new now.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
Also, finally bit the bullet and deleted. Had a brand new DPF installed 4 months ago and it was so clogged again they were going to have to replace it, again! After the delete? Wow, no more issues. Haven't had to go to the dealer since. Cannot believe how much better this truck drives now.

Users who are viewing this thread