Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Differential Growling

CaptainMike

Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie with ~ 2000 (yes, two thousand) miles and the front differential starts growling in 4WD hi or low. Take it to the dealer, they drain it and see "a lot" of metal in the oil. They are replacing the whole differential assembly and believe it or not the parts will be here next week. Funny, the day I drove it off of the lot I could feel a low vibrating hum through the steering wheel , gas pedal, and the seat of my pants. I've never driven a vehicle or operated a piece of equipment feeling something like that that didn't eventually break down. I have a feeling that hum will be gone once the diff is replaced.

I've scanned through many of the threads and have seen no one else with this issue, has anyone else here had to deal with this yet? The dealer said they had a similar job with a 2021 with 60k miles and they had to replace the spider gears. The service rep ordered the parts while I was there and he said systemwide there were 6 orders and 30 part sets on the shelf. I hope this is a limited issue and all I'll have to deal with on a BRAND NEW, EXPENSIVE truck. The world we have built for ourselves, I guess.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It happens. Defective parts, mis-torqued fasteners. Could have been something as simple as a 5c C-clip that didn’t seat properly.

I’d expect it’s not a very widespread issue if there are a surplus of parts available. Sounds like they’ll get you fixed up pretty quick, and you shouldn’t have anything to worry about after that.

jetrinka

Reaction score
First I've heard of this. Very rare. I'd be confident you won't experience it again once its fixed.

deango831

Reaction score
I have a 22 2500 4x4 with 16,500 miles. I think I have the same problem although my noise happens when i hit the accelerator pedal but stops when i take it off and coast. it seems to be getting worse and ill be taking it in tomorrow. Does this sound like the same thing?

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have a 22 2500 4x4 with 16,500 miles. I think I have the same problem although my noise happens when i hit the accelerator pedal but stops when i take it off and coast. it seems to be getting worse and ill be taking it in tomorrow. Does this sound like the same thing?
Are you in 4wd when you hear this?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
It only happened when I was in 4WD. The dealer mechanics thought it was my front differential and they replaced the whole carrier assembly. Unfortunately, that did not fix it and now they are suspecting the front driveline. The front drivelines have been a problem with these trucks due to CV joint failure as well, with FCA at one time claiming it was due to owners lifting or leveling their trucks. Mine was not leveled at the time the problem occurred, and according to the service manager FCA is trying to come up with a solution.

If you're not in 4WD I don't know that that would be your issue. And generally, driveline problems are more pronounced when letting off the throttle or coasting. I hope yours is an easy fix.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie with ~ 2000 (yes, two thousand) miles and the front differential starts growling in 4WD hi or low. Take it to the dealer, they drain it and see "a lot" of metal in the oil. They are replacing the whole differential assembly and believe it or not the parts will be here next week. Funny, the day I drove it off of the lot I could feel a low vibrating hum through the steering wheel , gas pedal, and the seat of my pants. I've never driven a vehicle or operated a piece of equipment feeling something like that that didn't eventually break down. I have a feeling that hum will be gone once the diff is replaced.

I've scanned through many of the threads and have seen no one else with this issue, has anyone else here had to deal with this yet? The dealer said they had a similar job with a 2021 with 60k miles and they had to replace the spider gears. The service rep ordered the parts while I was there and he said systemwide there were 6 orders and 30 part sets on the shelf. I hope this is a limited issue and all I'll have to deal with on a BRAND NEW, EXPENSIVE truck. The world we have built for ourselves, I guess.
It's turning out that this is not rare and becomming quite common. Same issue in my 2019 2500. I had failures on both ends, bearing failure in T-Case (replaced), and front shaft CV joint came apart (replaced). Tech saw pitting on spiders and has a new carrier on order. Grinding in 4WD is gone, but the hum you speak of in front diff I still have. So he's pretty conviced it's from the pitting in the spider gears. Tech said 3 other 5th gens are in for the same issues, and Chrysler Engieering is aware of the problem. In speaking with the tech, his opinion (not RAMs) is that the new CV style front shafts they put on these trucks aren't durable enough for what the trucks designed to do. These shafts aren't meant for trucks. When I pulled him aside and said take your dealer hat off, he recommended replacing with a double cardan style shaft. Just FYI for those having this issue.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
It's turning out that this is not rare and becomming quite common. Same issue in my 2019 2500. I had failures on both ends, bearing failure in T-Case (replaced), and front shaft CV joint came apart (replaced). Tech saw pitting on spiders and has a new carrier on order. Grinding in 4WD is gone, but the hum you speak of in front diff I still have. So he's pretty conviced it's from the pitting in the spider gears. Tech said 3 other 5th gens are in for the same issues, and Chrysler Engieering is aware of the problem. In speaking with the tech, his opinion (not RAMs) is that the new CV style front shafts they put on these trucks aren't durable enough for what the trucks designed to do. These shafts aren't meant for trucks. When I pulled him aside and said take your dealer hat off, he recommended replacing with a double cardan style shaft. Just FYI for those having this issue.
The dealership replaced the original driveshaft with an updated and newly engineered one a few weeks ago and that solved my issue. So far. Replacing the front carrier made that low hum go away as well. Ram is producing garbage at this point, but charging for gold.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
Good to know, and agreed! It's getting harder to defend our trucks against my GM buddies when mine is in the shop every 3-4 months for major repairs. We still have Ford beat though. Thanks for the info, I will update my tech on the carrier bearing fix. I don't think he put in a updated front shaft (looks the same as the old one), but I have 6" lift so I need at min a lenghtend one anyhow. Looking at upgrading to an Adams 1410.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Good to know, and agreed! It's getting harder to defend our trucks against my GM buddies when mine is in the shop every 3-4 months for major repairs. We still have Ford beat though. Thanks for the info, I will update my tech on the carrier bearing fix. I don't think he put in a updated front shaft (looks the same as the old one), but I have 6" lift so I need at min a lenghtend one anyhow. Looking at upgrading to an Adams 1410.
Check out Drivelines Plus as well, that's who I was going to use if Ram didn't come through.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
I have, they look like the same shaft, quality as well. I guess it'll come down to availability and install options. I don't want to drill and tap if I don't have to.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Unless there’s some defect in the manufacture or it’s massively undersized then I doubt the issue is because it has a CV vs double-cardan joint drive shaft. CV joints are actually much stronger than U-joints, and are subjected to less abuse because they aren’t being subjected to rapidly changing force each revolution. The only weakness to CV joints is if the boot gets damaged and the joint gets contaminated.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Unless there’s some defect in the manufacture or it’s massively undersized then I doubt the issue is because it has a CV vs double-cardan joint drive shaft. CV joints are actually much stronger than U-joints, and are subjected to less abuse because they aren’t being subjected to rapidly changing force each revolution. The only weakness to CV joints is if the boot gets damaged and the joint gets contaminated.
According to the tech who swapped out my old DS for the reengineered one it was the spline shaft receiver of the driveline on the transfer case side that was the problem. I asked about the TC output shaft and he said it was fine, I hope he wasn't BS'ing me.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
From what the tech I spoke to is saying, you are correct.. there is a defect in the manufacture of these drivelines and Chrsyler knows about it. Which is why I am going to swap it out with aftermarket. I am not going to sit around waiting on Ram to fix this issue, it only took 2 years to get a CP3 swap from them...

CaptainMike

Reaction score
From what the tech I spoke to is saying, you are correct.. there is a defect in the manufacture of these drivelines and Chrsyler knows about it. Which is why I am going to swap it out with aftermarket. I am not going to sit around waiting on Ram to fix this issue, it only took 2 years to get a CP3 swap from them...
Especially with a 6" lift. My tech showed me the new driveline and the respec'd splines and there was a notable difference. If I might suggest, if you're still in warranty then contact your dealer about this and see if you can get a new driveshaft. It shouldn't cost you anything and it might fix your issue without having to fork over some big bucks for a custom one. If you're not in warranty then it wouldn't be worth to even try, just upgrade.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
Not a bad idea! I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer, they bend the rules quite a bit to take care of me. It is in warranty still, power train for another year, and I bought the extended bumper to bumper to 100k. I am going to ask them about this upgraded shaft. They did put a new one in, but I didn't know to ask if it was a newer designed one, or same replacement one.

Rcc

Reaction score

I have this exact type thing going on- 2022 ram 3500, approximately 2500 miles and noticed howl- grind type noise in front axle. Made an appointment (3 weeks out) and was told best if don’t drive it much. Stopped by schwabs and they said it’s internal in differential. Ehhhhh I bought this for my business-!!!! Driver side tire when jacked makes noise!

waveslayer

Reaction score
This happened to me. My truck is currently at the dealership for the front transfer case to be replaced. Waited 2 months for parts, they had my truck for a month prior. Hopefully they fix it. I had metal shavings too

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread