Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame rail compatibility bracket ?

purebred

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2WD 6.4 and would like to remove the front bumper air dam from my truck. I noticed two brackets that stick down aways and they are called frame rail compatibility brackets. Exactly what are these used for? And would it hurt to take them off? We don't drive our truck off road and bought it to pull our full time 5th wheel. Any information would be great. I also would like to eliminate the air dam on the front bumper so i can change oil and inspect my engine better. Thanks

purebred

Reaction score
So far after googling for a 1/2 hour i have found these brackets might be for smaller cars bumpers to match up to the front end in case of an accident or to mount snow plows ? Who knows? Maybe someone out there knows and can spread a little info this way. Thanks.

Darkone

Reaction score
They are used for snow plow brackets and you can take them off. I’m surprised a 2wd has them but a 3500 does not..

jadmt

Reaction score
they are called compatibility brackets and you are correct they are so if you rear end a small car they help protect the small car passengers. it is an NHTSA deal. I think plenty take them off without ever rear ending anyone.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Mine fell off when I installed my new bumper

Some people on this forum get triggered when parts fall off of other peoples trucks.

So, I’ll include a picture to make sure I offend as many people as possible.

View attachment 30053

I just melted into a puddle of snowflake. I need my safe space!!! NOW!!!!!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Another option is adding the cjc off road intercooler guard. It uses those brackets to mount to,

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They are used for snow plow brackets and you can take them off. I’m surprised a 2wd has them but a 3500 does not..
There is no snow plow mount that uses them they are not for snow plows

el_barto

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2WD 6.4 and would like to remove the front bumper air dam from my truck. I noticed two brackets that stick down aways and they are called frame rail compatibility brackets. Exactly what are these used for? And would it hurt to take them off? We don't drive our truck off road and bought it to pull our full time 5th wheel. Any information would be great. I also would like to eliminate the air dam on the front bumper so i can change oil and inspect my engine better. Thanks
Let me start by saying I removed the Dam from my Power Wagon shortly after buying it.
But: If you just use the truck to tow and never go offroad, wouldn’t you want the air dam? It’s mostly there for aerodynamics. Even if it’s only a little tiny bit better, the range already sucks on these Hemi trucks you wouldn’t want to intentionally reduce it?

As far as changing the oil, it’s easiest to access the drain plug from the side of the truck behind the front wheels. Filter access is from the front but I have a hard time picturing the dam being in the way of accessing the filter.

As far as the comparability brackets. As others noted, they are designed to act like fangs to prevent a smaller car from submarineing in event of an accident. They don’t bother me, they serve a safety function, and someday they might protect my smartbar or winch from rocks offroad…so they stay.
745CB9BD-D580-4E96-990D-47B872CD4E90.jpeg

jadmt

Reaction score
I like others have went the cjc offroad route and when removing the damn air dam :)...well not a skid plate per se it does offer some protection against road debris and helps keep slop and crap off the winch. And it looks pretty nice too.
5EF3CE8F-A5F8-43E8-880B-5222AEE8EF27.jpeg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
There is no snow plow mount that uses them they are not for snow plows
Ignorance is bliss. Lol.
I legitimately thought they were snowplow mounts when I removed them. I later learned what they’re for, but They went to scrap long ago with the stock bumper and tow hooks.

Fwiw, the factory tow hooks are designed to shear and punch into the frame rail in an accident. I noticed that when I removed mine.

purebred

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I removed the Dam from my Power Wagon shortly after buying it.
But: If you just use the truck to tow and never go offroad, wouldn’t you want the air dam? It’s mostly there for aerodynamics. Even if it’s only a little tiny bit better, the range already sucks on these Hemi trucks you wouldn’t want to intentionally reduce it?

As far as changing the oil, it’s easiest to access the drain plug from the side of the truck behind the front wheels. Filter access is from the front but I have a hard time picturing the dam being in the way of accessing the filter.

As far as the comparability brackets. As others noted, they are designed to act like fangs to prevent a smaller car from submarineing in event of an accident. They don’t bother me, they serve a safety function, and someday they might protect my smartbar or winch from rocks offroad…so they stay.
View attachment 30287
Yea it is easiest to get to drain plug from side if your truck is 4WD. Mine is 2WD and i also have running boards so as much as id love to go that way its impossible to squeeze under the boards.

purebred

Reaction score
After careful consideration i might not remove the air dam (valance) and compatibility brackets. Last time I changed my oil I was able to squeeze under the valance to do it. If i don't get any bigger i might not worry about it. Like others have said the 6.4 doesn't get super good mileage and every little bit helps. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread