Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fords Super Duty Tremor VS Ram Power Wagon:

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tremorvswagon.jpg

Ford Launches A Truck Aimed At The Power Wagon, But Is It Enough?

Yesterday, Ford surprised everyone by announcing a new off-road package for the F-250 and F-350 pickups aimed squarely at Rams Power Wagon. The new "Tremor" off-road package gives buyers the choice of Fords new 7.3 liter overhead valve V8 gas engine or the 6.7 liter Powerstroke diesel both backed up by Fords 10 speed automatic. Horsepower and torque ratings for both engines are currently unreleased by Ford although they do say the 7.3 will have best in class gasoline engine performance.

2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor (Ford)

The Ram Power Wagon gets by with the tried and true 6.4 liter Hemi V8 developing 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque backed up by the new to the Ram HD for 2019 TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. While a lot of people criticized the power delivery of the 6.4 in the Ram Heavy Duty in previous years almost all of that was to blame on the transmission gear ratios, the 6.4 with the eight-speed feels like a completely different truck. Unfortunately, the Cummins is still unavailable in the Power Wagon due to a variety of reasons. One being Ram can't fit the big inline six Cummins powertrain under the hood of the Power Wagon while retaining the winch which has long been a Power Wagon staple. Another reason it is would require a stiffer suspension that would inhibit articulation. It is worth noting that while the Tremor has a diesel option, it does not have a winch as the Power Wagon does.

2019 Ram Power Wagon (Ram)

Both trucks only come as crew cab 4x4 short beds. Ford is offering the Tremor package on XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels, while the Power Wagon is available as an option on the Tradesman trim as a more bare-bones off-roader or the more luxurious standalone Power Wagon trim.

The Super Duty Tremors off-road kit includes:

• Tremor specific 18-inch wheels wrapped in 35 inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires
  • 2-inch front suspension lift
  • Larger Tremor specific shocks
  • Shorter Tremor specific front air dam
  • A new rock crawling drive mode and Fords trail control system
  • Skid plates from the FX4
  • Unique running boards that sit tight against the body to help with ground clearance

2019 Ram 2500 Power Wagon. (HDRams)

The Ram Power Wagons off-road kit consists of:

• Articulink Suspension
  • Front/Rear Bilstein Shocks (Power Wagon Tuned)
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Tow Hooks
  • Fuel Tank Skid Plate
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • Warn Zeon 12,000-lb. Winch with a synthetic winch cable
  • Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar
  • 17-In. X 8.0-In. Cast Aluminum Power Wagon Wheel
  • LT285/70R17D OWL Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac All-Terrain Tires
While the Tremor is a nice package, it is obviously not as comprehensive as the Power Wagon. One area that I do feel that the Tremor wins is in the tire department. It was a smart move by Ford to put a 35-inch tire on the Tremor and is something that I think Ram should do on the Power Wagon.

2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor (Ford)

Comparing approach and departure angles the Ford has a slight advantage in approach angle at 31.65 degrees compared to the Power Wagons 29.4 degrees, but the Power Wagon bests the Tremor on departure angle with 26 degrees compared to the Fords 24.5.

Ford says that the Tremor will tow and haul more than Rams Power Wagon and that payload and towing numbers will come in just slightly below a regular Super Duty. Max payload on the Power Wagon is 1,660 lbs while max towing comes in at 10,620 lbs. Pricing is currently unknown for the Tremor while the Tradesman with Power Wagon Package starts at USD 50,085 after destination and the standalone Power Wagon trim starts at USD 55,045 after destination.

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That article is going live on the main page in a few hours but I thought I'd share it on the forums first.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I am just anxiously waiting for the Rebel Subbrand, and the TRX and Powerwagon will have 37 inch tires.

The torque wars are over...my tires are bigger than your tires.

A diesel truck with a limited slip front axle...that sounds like breakage to me.

I would buy this before the GMC/Chevy.

Now if RAM would build my Outdoorsman package

Ford would be beat.

D

Deleted member 80

I don't view this as a competiror for the PW. Now that the 6.4 is the base engine they do need to have a step up gas option, in general. Then, offer a Rebel HD, even with a Cummins, and maintain payload and towing.

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it's definitely not up to the level of the Power Wagon, it's more of a Sierra AT4 competitor if anything or a slightly more capable FX4. Them putting 35s on it from the factory though was a smart move and is something that I would really like to see Ram do with the Power Wagon.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I watched the TFL video about this truck and was appalled at the hack job they did on it. That video was very much below the quality of thdirbusual stuff. I understand brand loyalty, wow, that video was full of misleading statements, commissions, and outright untruth......really bad.

Now that's out of my system...I think competition is good, but to think this truck is in the same league as a Power Wagon, really ignores what the PW is about. It's about off road ability and not much else. It doesn't tow much, it doesn't have much payload, and it doesn't have/need a diesel. Comparing this new Ford to a PW is like comparing a Rebel to a PW. It's a noncomparison......two completely different vehicles.

Now, what do I like about the new Ford.....? Not much. I see NOTHING that makes me want to even look at one except..... I think they are really on the right track with the 7 liter gas motor. I think more and more people are considering large displacement engines as an alternative to diesel and Ford has stepped to the front of the class with this new engine. GM has lost the race before it started with their new 6.6.

I hope FCA does indeed come out with the 426....they need to. The new 7 liter gas engines should allow towing capability up to the 20,000# range I would think. This would give the consumer a good alternative for medium weight towing.

My opinion I if course.

Last edited:

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched the TFL video about this truck and was appalled at the hack job they did on it. That video was very much below the quality of thdirbusual stuff. I understand brand loyalty, wow, that video was full of misleading statements, commissions, and outright untruth......really bad.

Now that's out of my system...I think competition is good, but to think this truck is in the same league as a Power Wagon, really ignores what the PW is about. It's about off road ability and not much else. It doesn't tow much, it doesn't have much payload, and it doesn't have/need a diesel. Comparing this new Ford to a PW is like comparing a Rebel to a PW. It's a noncomparison......two completely different vehicles.

Now, what do I like about the new Ford.....? Not much. I see NOTHING that makes me want to even look at one except..... I think they are really on the right track with the 7 liter gas motor. I think more and more people are considering large displacement engines as an alternative to diesel and Ford has stepped to the front of the class with this new engine. GM has lost the race before it started with their new 6.6.

I hope FCA does indeed come out with the 426....they need to. The new 7 liter gas engines should allow towing capability up to the 20,000# range I would think. This would give the consumer a good alternative for medium weight towing.

My opinion I if course.

I agree wholeheartedly that the 7.3 gas was a good move from Ford, GMs new 6.6 gas does nothing for me and I would really like to see the Ram HD get the 426. While things have been changing rapidly over at FCA last I heard was that the 426 was off the table (for the trucks at least) for now. Although things are changing almost weekly so we will have to wait and see.

Randy M

Reaction score
Having the Tremor come to market is good for those who want more power in the PW. Ram just took that 7.0/426 off the shelf for another look. A PW with a 426...!!! That's the stuff of dreams for many.

Users who are viewing this thread