Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog lights

Robtheelder

Reaction score
Interesting thread

I live in Douglas County Colorado. Parker.

I bought the least expensive 2500 I could find on the lot that had the Cummins and the 8.4 screen. I have been building it the way I want it. Traded my 2015 RAM 1500 for the 2500 so I can continue to haul my two car gooseneck cross country without having to listen to the drive train slowly committing suicide and having to stop every 100 miles to refuel.

I had a hell of a time finding replacement headlights for my 21 but eventually got them from Amazon. They have high, low and surrounding LED lights. The LEDs are white for running lights - always on - and turn amber and sequential with the turn signal.

I went everywhere and could not find a set of LED tails that I liked. Finally I ordered a pair from CarID but while they fit mechanically and are designed to replace non-LED tails, I ended up building my own cable to get them to connect to the truck.

The fogs were a giant pain. The truck came with solid bezels that blocked off the bumper fog light locations but that was all. No brackets at all. I spent a lot of time doing research, ordering parts that did not fit and finally found a pair of bezels that fit my Baja yellow fogs. I ended up fabricating my own mounts from aluminum stock. Mine are aimed very low and while they are visible from the front naturally, they basically concentrate their lighting below any fog layer on the pavement in front of the truck. They provide great light out about 40 feet.

I don't mind people who drive with their fogs on as long as I am not blinded. Most drivers get into the truck, turn on the lights and drive without thinking about it at all. Its nice to see that people here do have consideration for others.

I also have a 30 inch light bar mounted at the intersection of the front grille and the top of the bumper.

My fogs and the light bar are controlled by my SwitchPro so I turn them on when I need them. Generally at 4am in Colorado, I don't see but one or two other vehicles on my 15 mile trip to the factory. And there are a lot of critters out there trying to get in front of my new truck so more lights are mo better for my needs.

Here in Colorado I have noticed a new trend where Jeeps and wannabe SUV drivers are putting 12 or 24 inch LED light bars low on the front of their vehicles and using them as their driving lights. They leave the headlights off and drive with the light bars only on front. I think that is a dumb idea but live and let live. :)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I get a little angry when people drive with their high beams on. Light bars as well, those are for off road use.

Fog lights look good and let me know that the person does not have their high beams on

But to answer the question. I used Baja Designs kit and factory parts to add fogs to mine

Jgouldski

Reaction score
I had 2 big spot lights mounted to the front of my old '09 1500 that I would turn on at the same time as my high beams because the visibility with all that light was just amazing. There were a few times that I forgot to turn them off when I switched to low beams though, and couldn't figure out why I was getting flashed from oncoming vehicles... SMH. Sure felt like an idiot. Should've just rigged it up to a relay, but didn't know much about that back then.

Back on topic though, fogs on at all times during the night is definitely warranted in my books. Although, I have relied on the "Their high beams aren't on because I can see their fogs. They must just have bright/badly aimed lows or are hauling a trailer." until realizing through this forum that that setting can be changed to leave them on with the highs too...

Nd79

Reaction score
Interesting thread

I live in Douglas County Colorado. Parker.

I bought the least expensive 2500 I could find on the lot that had the Cummins and the 8.4 screen. I have been building it the way I want it. Traded my 2015 RAM 1500 for the 2500 so I can continue to haul my two car gooseneck cross country without having to listen to the drive train slowly committing suicide and having to stop every 100 miles to refuel.

I had a hell of a time finding replacement headlights for my 21 but eventually got them from Amazon. They have high, low and surrounding LED lights. The LEDs are white for running lights - always on - and turn amber and sequential with the turn signal.

I went everywhere and could not find a set of LED tails that I liked. Finally I ordered a pair from CarID but while they fit mechanically and are designed to replace non-LED tails, I ended up building my own cable to get them to connect to the truck.

The fogs were a giant pain. The truck came with solid bezels that blocked off the bumper fog light locations but that was all. No brackets at all. I spent a lot of time doing research, ordering parts that did not fit and finally found a pair of bezels that fit my Baja yellow fogs. I ended up fabricating my own mounts from aluminum stock. Mine are aimed very low and while they are visible from the front naturally, they basically concentrate their lighting below any fog layer on the pavement in front of the truck. They provide great light out about 40 feet.

I don't mind people who drive with their fogs on as long as I am not blinded. Most drivers get into the truck, turn on the lights and drive without thinking about it at all. Its nice to see that people here do have consideration for others.

I also have a 30 inch light bar mounted at the intersection of the front grille and the top of the bumper.

My fogs and the light bar are controlled by my SwitchPro so I turn them on when I need them. Generally at 4am in Colorado, I don't see but one or two other vehicles on my 15 mile trip to the factory. And there are a lot of critters out there trying to get in front of my new truck so more lights are mo better for my needs.

Here in Colorado I have noticed a new trend where Jeeps and wannabe SUV drivers are putting 12 or 24 inch LED light bars low on the front of their vehicles and using them as their driving lights. They leave the headlights off and drive with the light bars only on front. I think that is a dumb idea but live and let live. :)
Sounds like you have the lighting set up pretty well on your truck.

Adding fogs and possibly redoing the headlights are on my list for my tradesman with the same blank out plates in the bumper as yours. I'd be interested to see what your headlights look like, if you could post some pictures!

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
There are a handful of those over in my area as well. A few in beater Jeep GCs but most with Raptors.

As much as I want to light up their world with all my aux lighting, I know it won't do any good.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Holy Heck! Not sure how I missed the escalation on this one.

BTW - I guess they are only fogs if you use them in the fog. For the record, mine are now called driving lights LOL.

Scary to say, I almost want to get banned just to see what good profile quote Brutal comes up with. He has been on a roll!

Linked4door

Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried Diode Dynamics S3 pods in the fog light location? They have pretty bright DOT pod lights...
Ordered some s3 sports to run as ditch lights last week but they haven't shipped yet. Its a race to see what arrives first, the lights or the ordered truck stuck at the port lol

Grayson

Reaction score
I've had my Baja squadrons fog lights along with all my other stuff waiting, collecting dust. My truck has been sitting at the rail distribution center since 11/25. A whopping 39 miles away

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Wow. What a clown that dude was.
Anyways, CJC Offroad has a neat kit for them.

Double-check, but I believe this would be the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread