Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fix for A/C issue??

wowens79

Reaction score
I keep reading about the A/C issues on these trucks, and living in GA, staying cool is important. It is actually the thing that is holding me back from buying the Ram at this point.
I read on one of the forums about people putting a valve in the heater hose on the 1500’s to keep the hot water out of the heater core, and that made a big difference. Has anyone tried this on the HD’s?? If that does work, would it be possible to put in an electronic valve wires to the up fitter switches? We haave so many days you need heat in the morning, and A/C in the afternoon, it would be a pain to be opening the hood to mess with a valve all the time.

U

User_1648

I bought my truck last December ('19 3500 SRW), and just started using the AC intermittently here in southern Indiana. So far, I have not experienced the problems others have encountered with the AC. Works as advertised...that is until I just jinxed myself! Personally, I wouldn't let that hold you back...but...it's your money as they say. Good luck!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
No 'fix' as the FCA stance is that it is 'working as designed'.
I live in FL and I have a 30 min drive to/from work...the AC is just getting comfortable as I'm getting home.

wowens79

Reaction score
I bought my truck last December ('19 3500 SRW), and just started using the AC intermittently here in southern Indiana. So far, I have not experienced the problems others have encountered with the AC. Works as advertised...that is until I just jinxed myself! Personally, I wouldn't let that hold you back...but...it's your money as they say. Good luck!
No offense, but May in Indiana is a little different than August south of ATL. When it's mid to upper 90's and humid, a strong A/C is your best friend. Y'all can add layers in the winter, in the summer you can only take off so many layers. :D

ITGuy

Reaction score
I live in Southern California, it was over 100 today and AC was not an issue at all. I read the same thing and was nervous but it hasn’t been a problem.

now, the wood steering wheel On the longhorn gets surprisingly hot if left in direct sun, but a window shade cured that.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I live in Southern California, it was over 100 today and AC was not an issue at all. I read the same thing and was nervous but it hasn’t been a problem.

now, the wood steering wheel On the longhorn gets surprisingly hot if left in direct sun, but a window shade cured that.

Do you even know what humidity is bro? ;)

woody284

Reaction score
I think it is one of those personal opinion things. I’m from SW Kentucky. We see our upper 90s days with 90 percent humidity for feels like temps of 105 plus in the summer. My truck is black as well. I have not had a problem with my AC. Have I had better A/c or heat in other cars? Sure but I can’t say the AC in my Ram is bad, I stay comfortable and cool all summer long. I had never even gave my AC a rating or thought about it until I read on the forum, all the complaints. Then I wondered was there something wrong.

ITGuy

Reaction score
Do you even know what humidity is bro? ;)

Humidity? What's that? I just meant it seems to keep up in absolute terms, there were a bunch of posts about problems keeping up even in dry climates like CA & AZ.

g00fy

Reaction score
I think it's important people note whether they have a tradesman with Single zone manual controls, or a higher trim level with dual zone controls. I have a suspicion more people will be unhappy with the performance of the dual zone auto system, than those with the single zone manual system.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I think it's important people note whether they have a tradesman with Single zone manual controls, or a higher trim level with dual zone controls. I have a suspicion more people will be unhappy with the performance of the dual zone auto system, than those with the single zone manual system.

Good point... mine is a dual zone... driver side also blows warmer than passenger side.

g00fy

Reaction score

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen it, but in trying to retrofit a 12" UAX radio into my tradesman I think i stumbled across why this is, in this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/constantly-adjusting-heat.1138/post-25113 I just need somebody with a factory UAX system to take the same logs to confirm whether or not there's a programming issue in the climate system.

Have not...hopefully someone with an AlphaBod can help to figure this out... the AC is really my only complaint.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
I posted the following in another thread, but thought it may be helpful here.

Decided to take the plunge today and temporarily bypass my heater core. 2019 2500 6.7l diesel. There was a significant difference in the performance of the A/C and its ability to cool the cabin.

Before the temporary bypass I was seeing on average 56* vent temps with an outside temp anywhere between 60*-80*.
Bypass installed today, I was seeing 43-44* vent temps with an outside temp of 86* and ALFAOBD showing an EVAP temp of 37-40*.

A 12* vent temp difference is very significant and makes a very noticeable difference in the amount of time the cab takes to cool down. It is unacceptable to be hacking a valve in the cooling system of an $80k truck, just to have adequate A/C performance. Anyone else want to take the plunge and temporarily bypass your heater core in the pursuit of adequate A/C? And is there any speculation as to why RAM is unable to come up with a simple solution of using a small 12v coolant shutoff valve and a little programming to make it work seamlessly with the HVAC system?

IronByron

Reaction score
No offense, but May in Indiana is a little different than August south of ATL. When it's mid to upper 90's and humid, a strong A/C is your best friend. Y'all can add layers in the winter, in the summer you can only take off so many layers. :D

I have used my truck in August in Indiana. We got heat and humidity a plenty. My truck AC works just fine in the heat. I think a lot of people can’t accept that not every Ram has this perceived cooling issue.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I read on one of the forums about people putting a valve in the heater hose on the 1500’s to keep the hot water out of the heater core, and that made a big difference. Has anyone tried this on the HD’s?? If that does work, would it be possible to put in an electronic valve wires to the up fitter switches? We haave so many days you need heat in the morning, and A/C in the afternoon, it would be a pain to be opening the hood to mess with a valve all the time.

I am willing to do that experiment for science. Do you have links to the other forum threads? Has anyone identified a good electronic valve that is compatible with hot coolant and is made of the the right metal?

2019_Ram

Reaction score
I have been looking for an electronic valve, but not comfortable with the temperature ranges they list for the solenoids. They seem to top it around 190*, for the ones I have seen, and are rather large and heavy - over 1lbs

I am currently looking at a cable operated one by Four Seasons, which I believe would be small enough to put in line just as the hose comes off the engine head. Then a cable can be run to the engine compartment or even in the cab to block the flow when desired, and this one appears to only weigh 4 ounces.
Screenshot_20200529-103026.png

thestuarts

Reaction score

thestuarts

Reaction score
I reached out to the VintageAir company about their heater valve. This is how it would be wired to a switch, like an AUX Switch or any other switch. Battery power (or ignition power) should be connected to the red wire. The on/off switch should be connected to the blue wire, and black is ground.

The valve is normally closed, so supplying power to the blue wire opens the valve. If you connect it to an AUX button, you would turn on the AUX button to enable water to flow through the heater core.

1590778139441.png

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Did they happen to give any specs on the valve in regards to size and operating temperature range?

Users who are viewing this thread