Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow with New 3500

JasonLVNV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So towed my boat home from storage to clean it before we go out this weekend on Lake Mead. Towed fine as I expected. However, I experienced something I never experienced before. My hitch on the boat trailer for my pontoon sits pretty low, so on my 2018 2500 I would select Alt Trailer Mode and it would lower a couple inches and I could hook up easily. Today on my 2019 3500 I tried to lower to Alt Trailer Height and it would stop and say that it would not lower due the load. What load?? I was not hooked up yet. Is it detecting my camper-shell and refusing to lower itself?? WTF? The cap weight like 200lbs or so. Not exactly a huge load and my 2500 didn't care if there was a shell on it or not. I'm confused and irritated because the Alt Trailer Height option was amazing on my 2500. On a side note, I hit the Lower Bed button in the Apps menu and it said it lowered the back end, but honestly I couldn't tell if it lowered. I had like 1/4 inch of clearance to get the boar on the hitch. I know I can buy a different more flexible hitch than the cheapy 2 inch drop ball from AutoZone, but man this should work like my 2500 did. I didn't expect this. Now I've scared to try and hook up my travel trailer. That one is also a pain due to a low hitch.

Does anyone have any thoughts or other experiences? And no, I haven't read the manual yet. LOL I figured this being my third RAM with air ride I knew how it worked.

Jason

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
not sure how that system works, but the rear looks low to me. I would think that the air system would level itself out, so maybe the alt height is working.

JasonLVNV

Reaction score
For some reason it looks low in the pic but in person it looks quite level. I’ll have to measure to be double sure. I tested the air when I bought it and it worked, but that was before the shell was put on. I’m 99% sure it’s working to level, it just won’t drop. I’ll keep investigating.

Update: I measured and it's level and I found in the manual where it says a light load may prevent you from entering ALTTH. WHY?? So damn dumb. My first real complaint about a RAM pickup.

Jason

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

It is because it is not full air ride. It has leaf springs, plus air assist. Without some weight in the bed it can't make the springs bend.

maxsteel

Reaction score
I agree, I don’t know what the intended purpose of this feature is. Why would I want to lower the back after my trailer is already on the truck?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3500 has leaf springs with air assist.

The 2500 replaces the springs with the air bags.

Therefore the 2500 can just drop.

The 3500 needs weight in the bed to get the leaf springs to compress as @1HasBeen just said.

So like you may have to load your wood or cooler first. Or stand in the bed.

I have no experience with it so I am just assuming from what I read.

Don-T

Reaction score
You need a good bit of weight in the bed to get the lowering option to work on the 3500 because of the leaf springs. It won’t lower so you can back under a trailer like the 2500 will but it is good for getting the camper level when towing. I am not sure it is a useful option on the 3500 but it is there.

maxsteel

Reaction score
Yeah I understand why it has to work the way it does, I’m just saying that I haven’t been able to figure out when it would ever be a useful feature.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Then i guess you have to consider that for the 3500...it is just for load leveling.

If you want the full use you will have to get the 2500.

Or I am just out of touch with the whole process

JasonLVNV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So took it out to the lake as planned. Truck pulls nicely as expected. Now about the Alt. Trailer Height and Bed Lowering. Here's what I am experienced.

1. When I got the truck I tested the ALT. feature and the Bed Lowering Feature. Both worked straight away and felt and though it worked just fine so I took it home.

2. When I went to hook up the boat it would not lower by pressing the Alt. button and the way the message is stated on the dash it implies that the small load (truck cap) is too much thus preventing the lowering. They really need to change the wording! The Bed Lowering Option did seem to work a little, but at least I didn't get a message saying I could not.

3. I managed to hook up the boat with about half a inch to spare which obviously put a fair amount of weight on the back end, but Alt. Trailer Height option still gave me the same damn cannot do due to load message. So annoying. Why won't it lower? At this point I didn't try the Bed Lowering option because I was afraid of breaking something.

4. Flash forward to stowing the boat in storage and I tried Alt. again and still no luck. So I tried Bed Lowering and it seemed to lower a little bit with no message and I was able to unhook the boat successfully.

5. Leveling is fine as the boat was level the whole time.

So, I think RAM needs to explain better how the heck Alt. Height and Bed Lowering works on the 3500s. It clearly has limits and minimums for working. The manual is quite useless and vague in this department.

Anyone else out there have these issues? Maybe Alt. Trailer Height only works with a 5th wheel connected ad the weight it in the bed and not on the hitch??

I have to go to the dealership on Tuesday, I will ask the techs. Maybe they know something.

Jason

jpaeth

Reaction score
Yeah I understand why it has to work the way it does, I’m just saying that I haven’t been able to figure out when it would ever be a useful feature.
Alt trailer height makes the truck sit perfectly level. In "normal" mode, the self leveling will keep it at about a 1" rake. Alt trailer height drops the rear when loaded 1" to sit level.

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
There is software to fix this condition on all 2500 and 3500 with rear air suspension. Trust me if you ignore update, it WILL disable suspension. Take to dealer to get it updated. Also there is PCM software update to correct DEF usage.

Don-T

Reaction score
What does the paperwork show the problem is? Is this a TSB, if so what number. My dealer says I have all the latest software updates.

jpaeth

Reaction score
What does the paperwork show the problem is? Is this a TSB, if so what number. My dealer says I have all the latest software updates.
@RamCares can you speak to this question? My truck just had 3 software updates done, the air suspension module, the def system, and one for the transmission/exhaust brake. can you shed light on what was fixed in these updates?

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
It was released as a RRT. Have them physically hook up pod to your truck and verify software versions

Ramit530

Reaction score
On 5thgen forum there is a TSB post that shows all current and dated TSB's... It there one for the HDRams?

Omarf4

Reaction score
The alternate trailer height should only be used after you hook up the trailer. It’s a very useful feature if you have a trailer with an already low tongue (like a motorcycle trailer or a tandem u-haul trailer). The purpose there is to lower the trucks rear so that both wheels of the trailer are leveled out vs being raked. Brakes on such trailers are only in the front wheels and surge coupler operated. You want those wheels low to the ground or leveled out. This is for folks without an adjustable drop hitch in their receiver.

The bed lowering mode should be used for when you want to hookup using the backup screen. Lower, align hitch ball with trailer tongue and then raise. All without exiting the vehicle or lowering the trailer tongue.

If you put the vehicle in park, then go lower the trailer tongue after the bed has been lowered, then come back and press the bed lowering button, it will take a few minutes to raise the bed and pickup the trailer as the sensor now has to factor in your tongue weight and ensure it’s not heavier than what the air bags can handle. It could take awhile or require you to force it by putting the truck in Drive from Park before it raises again.

Yes, little is documented on the features but the two modes serve completely different purposes.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
What’s the deal with the def usage? Can someone copy and past the tsb I couldn’t find it.

Users who are viewing this thread