Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow Report for the 6.4L Hemi - 4k lbs

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
32C59691-404F-40F8-A891-BAC93804B44C.jpegJust went on my first towing trip with my 2021 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4x4 6.4L Hemi. I was towing a Big Tex 70PI-X flat deck trailer and a Can Am X3 Max Turbo RR (about 4k lbs combined.)

The route was basically from Phoenix, AZ to St George, UT and then back home to PHX. We went up there for UTV Takeover. St George is 450 miles from my house so about 900 miles round trip.

In terms of MPG, I averaged 11.5. This is pretty good considering on the way back we hit 25mph constant winds and 40 mph gusts. The way there was a solid 11.9 average going off the trucks calculation. If you’ve driven this route, you know it’s a climb for a lot of the drive. Both directions have some good climbs.

The power was great going up hills. It never struggled (it’s only 4k lbs so I would hope not) but I was giving it some rpm to get through the winds. I can see that some people don’t like revving this engine out but I had no problem leaving it at 3k rpm climbing hills.
The 8 speed transmission is amazing and helps with power delivery. It holds the perfect rpm in tow haul mode. Compared to the 7 speed in my old 2018 Titan, I was throughly impressed.

The tires did well. I feel like if I had some better off-road All Terrains it may have been more stable in the high winds but you can’t do much about 40mph gusts.

I use a B&W Tow and Stow drop hitch (7.5 in drop) and my trailer sits on the lowest setting. The truck didn’t squat at all when hooking up the empty trailer. It squatted maybe an inch with the Can Am on there.

I’m happy with the 31 gallon gas tank size. I expected to be stopping to fill up with gas much more often than we did. We only stopped once for gas between PHX and ST G. At full tank, i was seeing about 329 miles DTE. Filling the tank was $80-95 dollars depending on where we stopped. Picture of the dash below is during the intense winds on flat ground. 1AF479CB-0D99-4238-BD5A-5B5829CA8B30.jpegFF90D585-E832-44A7-AA69-7A5A07A347B8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread