Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change

Nick

Reaction score
You leave yourself wide open on this forum with a when should I and what do you use question . You will just have to make the final decision based on what you read . As others have said and your manual states use synthetic oil . Believe me the engine manufactures are conservative on their change intervals . They have a vested interest in your engine lasting as long as possible . This ain't your Daddy oil ! You read the back of any of the mentioned oils and they will essentially say the same thing . Meets or exceeds manufactures specifications . The brand is your choice .

MtnRider

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old

thread here but why should it not get 15w-40? Looking at my first oil change and finding info about these trucks is like sifting through sewage….everyone has an opinion and they all think there’s doesn’t stink.

There should be no opinions on this, it's spelled out in the manual. For a 22 it is 10-30 or 5-40 depending on the temps at your location.

Riddick

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old

thread here but why should it not get 15w-40? Looking at my first oil change and finding info about these trucks is like sifting through sewage….everyone has an opinion and they all think there’s doesn’t stink.

In 2019 Cummins switched to a hydraulic lifter which requires a thinner oil.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
. As others have said and your manual states use synthetic oil .

The only grade that requires synthetic is 5w-40. 10w-30 does not have to be synthetic.

It's really a mute point thou as every 5w-40 is synthetic, and most 10w-30's are a sythetic blend.

buzzuti

Reaction score
For explicitness, CTRL+C, CTRL+V 2022 manual.

Diesel;

Frequency;
“Change engine oil every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months or 500 Hours or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system, whichever comes first.”

Oil type;
“In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 10W-30 engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins® CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend using 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar®, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets the manufacturer Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required”

Gas Engine;

Frequency;
“Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first”
Oil type;
“We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark Ú page 381.”

CdnHO

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old

It is written on the oil fill cap as to what you should use.

Reactions: CFE

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Guys, calm down. Yes, I’ve read the owners manual, come on.

What I was looking for was a technical description, not a redirection to the manual.

Thank you to the guy who posted the service bulletin, that was exactly the explanation I wanted.

Wasn’t looking to start arguments.

Dave01

Reaction score

I was kind of chuckling. Everyone seems to want to discuss oil on every car, truck, tractor, or boat forum I've ever been on. Then when someone discusses oil or asks a question there's a "not this again, why are you asking" response from somewhere.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

What I was looking for was a technical description, not a redirection to the manual.

Thank you to the guy who posted the service bulletin, that was exactly the explanation I wanted.

Wasn’t looking to start arguments.

It was more the way you asked.

I have yet to see any BS or opinion on why you can't run 15w-40 in the 19+ trucks, on any forum. It's a cut and dried issue and a little research will show you why. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, since it's not a grade of oil listed for use in the owners manual or on the cap.

Based on the vast possibilities of oil brand war threads there were zero arguments started here. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread