Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIRST DRIVE: 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
FIRST DRIVE: 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually:
We Got Our Hands On Both The HEMI & Cummins Powered Models...

This is the first of three first drive articles, coming throughout the day...

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Truck looks grest inside and out. The whole luxury truck thing is amazing. These things are loaded.

I an really impressed with the 6.4l Hemi. Can not wait to try one with the 8speed.

Anxious for camping season to see these trucks working...

Jugular

Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing more about your impression of the 8 Spd 6.4 Hemi vs. the 6.7 Cummins. Maybe we need a separate thread for that discussion? I'm having a tough time with that decision. Should get more interesting as we hear reports of folks towing with the 6.4.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing more about your impression of the 8 Spd 6.4 Hemi vs. the 6.7 Cummins. Maybe we need a separate thread for that discussion? I'm having a tough time with that decision. Should get more interesting as we hear reports of folks towing with the 6.4.

In the same boat here. Any articles on a mega hemi out there? Getting a travel trailer and am curious on how it would pull in the mountains now with the new tranny. I dont think a cummins is necessary for a 8k pound trailer but also dont want to be lacking power with horrible gas mileage.

D

Deleted member 80

It will be interesting to see how the 6.4 performs with the ZF. As a 6.4 owner, the 66RFE is such a poor match to the 6.4. I pull heavy and average 6.5-8.5 mpg. I will be going back to a Cummins, hopefully spoon.

Don-T

Reaction score
I had a Ram 3500 with the 6.4. I like it as long as I am not pulling my camper as it weighs just over 15k. It’s ok on secondary roads but on the freeway, especially hills, not so well. I have a Ram 3500 on order with the 6.7 and Aisin.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Our writer Mike Volkmann, said that the 6.4-liter HEMI and the ZF 8-Speed is night and day different than the 2018 Ram 2500. The HEMI seems more responsive now that it has the 8-Speed. While people were upset about his feedback saying that the HEMI was his choice over the Cummins, it was mainly because the HEMI was so much more impressive than what he expected going into the driving event. The Cummins is known for its raw torque and it was expected... but the HEMI was a real eye opener. Mike also said no matter what choice of powertrain you go with gas or diesel... new owners won't be let down.

Users who are viewing this thread