Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filled DEF for first time - DEF gauge shows zero then 100 percent and check engine light on

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Some seals are broken, but I think some of it is splash from the fill process, and I know for sure some of them that are properly sealed break just by unscrewing and removing the lid when I check them.

Agree, if I couldn't find one unbroken, I'd probably just grab one that didn't have any crust on the neck.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Some seals are broken, but I think some of it is splash from the fill process, and I know for sure some of them that are properly sealed break just by unscrewing and removing the lid when I check them.
Thats what I was wondering, I was like, am I the one taking the seals of these things every time I unscrew a cap. I did feel kind of bad about it , but I got over it pretty quick . I did finely find one with a good seal, but thats kind of my point to on the good quality brands. You get what you pay for. After that experience, it does make me believe that when you pay for a premium product, it's more than just the product, its the product, the packaging, the seal, the storage, the care and peace of mind. I don't want the product I buy to be sitting on a shelf for the general public, like some turkey like me who unscrewed caps and screwed everybody else. The price was like 1/4 of the price of mopar and it was very convienantbut the stress of wondering if someone tampered with each bottle I checked isn't worth it to me. I'll continue to throw my money at the ram backed product until I'm a dumb @$$ again an run low when parts and service are closed.

AKDoug

Reaction score
I've never seen a broken cap on a bottle. I don't shop at Walmart, so maybe that's it. I buy mine at my local truck stop. They go through the stuff by the pallet and I've never seen a 1 gal or 2.5 gallon jug over 2 months old. Get used to the consumption on that new truck Rich. My update fixed it a little, but it's still over a gallon per 600 miles.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a broken cap on a bottle. I don't shop at Walmart, so maybe that's it. I buy mine at my local truck stop. They go through the stuff by the pallet and I've never seen a 1 gal or 2.5 gallon jug over 2 months old. Get used to the consumption on that new truck Rich. My update fixed it a little, but it's still over a gallon per 600 miles.
Like I told the wife, it costs money to operate these things and it will cost more money if we don't maintain them properly. I honestly don't stress at all about it sucking down the def, I find comfort in knowing the system is doing it's job and working. When that gauge quits moving, i start getting nervous. I guess I get that from driving commercial. When you live in a rig, you learn and know every little thing about it and how is going to react and you start sweating bullets if the def gauge doesn't move or it doesn't heat up or you can't smell it, and it doesn't self regen itself and forcing it won't do anything, or you feal like it's losing power. Now I'm having flash backs, thanks Doug. I think I lost my mind in that rig, I know I lost my back and bowels. TMI, I know. . The only thing that was worse than worrying about that dang regen system was the drive cam recording system. My wife said i wouldn't have to worry about it if i followed the rules, like I told her , we don't have all this stuff in our lives from me following the rules. Ok, I'm getting off topic

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Actually the video says the DEF tank has a "large amount of full reserve" which I took to mean you really can't over fill it save having it over-pour down the side of the truck. Hell, you don't do that when filling any liquid vessel in cars/trucks. Of course if it spills out from the DEF fill neck, that's plainly operator error. Video says nothing about a fault code.

Users who are viewing this thread