Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth Wheel Clearance

Red Rider

Reaction score
I know this may not be the best place to ask this question but you folks are a fountain of information and I thought I would give it a try.
Is there a standard dimension for a fifth wheel trailer from the ground to the bottom of the front section (the part that is over the bed) when the trailer is level? I understand that there needs to be a 6” or so clearance from the top of the bed but I’m considering getting a fifth wheel trailer and wondering if the height of the top of the bed is too high to provide the proper clearance. I know there are adjustments in the pin box and fifth wheel hitch but you still need to get the trailer reasonably level.

Thanks for any input.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know this may not be the best place to ask this question but you folks are a fountain of information and I thought I would give it a try.
Is there a standard dimension for a fifth wheel trailer from the ground to the bottom of the front section (the part that is over the bed) when the trailer is level? I understand that there needs to be a 6” or so clearance from the top of the bed but I’m considering getting a fifth wheel trailer and wondering if the height of the top of the bed is too high to provide the proper clearance. I know there are adjustments in the pin box and fifth wheel hitch but you still need to get the trailer reasonably level.

Thanks for any input.
You can always lift the trailer to be level my 5th wheel plate height in the truck unloaded is 56”. But my hitch is about 2-3” taller than the avg hitch height

Surgdoc4

Reaction score

Thanks for any input.
Just went through this yesterday. Pin box on lower holes adds 2.5 inches. The 30K hitch is adjustable from 14” to 17”. Clearance should be at least 5.5”. I didn’t like the idea of raising the hitch to the top holes so adjusted the pin box to lower holes (you need to use all 6 bolts). That alone should give the needed clearance but if not I still have 3” more by raising the hitch. Options all depend on the type of hitch, pin box, and truck. If short bed you absolutely need a sliding hitch which is usually taller. I still have a Pull Rite Super Glide 24K hitch used 3 times before my new truck arrived. 3500 long bed DRW (no need for slider) and came with a 30K hitch.

CharlieL

Reaction score

Thanks for any input.
I don't think there is a "standard dimension" for the height of the trailer to the ground for a fifth wheel when level. There are just so many manufacturers & designs I can't imagine all would be the same. But as pointed out already, the pinbox can be adjusted if you have an issue, and if you have an issue will depend upon the hitch you use & how the pinbox is set up. Like surgedoc4, I have a PullRite SuperGlide 24k, which fits with about 2" clearance under the Retrax cover. It works perfectly for my needs & I have not adjusted the pinbox from how it came from the factory. See pics attached, fyi.

Attachments

• 2500 Hitch.JPG
    2500 Hitch.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 5th wheel clearance.JPG
    5th wheel clearance.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Camper Clearance.JPG
    Camper Clearance.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 84

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
I don't think there is a "standard dimension" for the height of the trailer to the ground for a fifth wheel when level. There are just so many manufacturers & designs I can't imagine all would be the same. But as pointed out already, the pinbox can be adjusted if you have an issue, and if you have an issue will depend upon the hitch you use & how the pinbox is set up. Like surgedoc4, I have a PullRite SuperGlide 24k, which fits with about 2" clearance under the Retrax cover. It works perfectly for my needs & I have not adjusted the pinbox from how it came from the factory. See pics attached, fyi.
I agree. The only important distance is between the box sidewall and the trailer. If a large Starbucks cup fits you are golden. When I got my new truck I immediately noticed how much shorter the 30K hitch was compared to the slider. Hmm, raise the hitch, lower the pin box, both?? Called my RV service manager, he said whatever works just make sure to use all the bolts.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
I agree. The only important distance is between the box sidewall and the trailer. If a large Starbucks cup fits you are golden. When I got my new truck I immediately noticed how much shorter the 30K hitch was compared to the slider. Hmm, raise the hitch, lower the pin box, both?? Called my RV service manager, he said whatever works just make sure to use all the bolts.
BTW how do you like the Retrax cover?

CharlieL

Reaction score
BTW how do you like the Retrax cover?
Love it. Had one on my 2013 1500 from when it was brand new. Still in superb condition when I sold it to upgrade to the 2500. A really great feature is the ability to close it to any position, as in holding a ladder in place, etc. Very durable, locks & tailgate can be opened/closed with Retrax staying shut & locked.

BTW - I didn't have a ruler/tape measure with when I took the pics - but Starbucks cup worked just fine for perspective.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
another thing to remember if you are just a highway hauler 5.5-6 inches is plenty between the top of the rails and the trailer but if you are like me and venture off in to the bush you want closer to 8” clearance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Even fully on-road, 5.5" is pretty skinny in some cases. Cut one fuel stop drive a little tight and drop a wheel just a few inches and you could be filing a bodywork claim on both truck and trailer.

I prefer to tell everyone 6-6.5" minimum, 7" if you can swing it. Like H3LZSN1P3R said, 8" if you venture off-road any, even just dirt roads.

Diesel42

Reaction score
These new trucks sit so tall that I had to do a axle flip to get the clearance over my bed

Reaction score
Good info
I am due to install my hitch on Monday.
My pin height on the RV is 49"
My bed of the truck is 39"....
Looks like I will be doing a pin box adj.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I pushing 9” and don’t have clearance issues side to side, I max the hitch out first, but can have longitudinal clearance issues if I’m not careful.

I’d like to life the 5th wheel another 1”.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
I pushing 9” and don’t have clearance issues side to side, I max the hitch out first, but can have longitudinal clearance issues if I’m not careful.

I’d like to life the 5th wheel another 1”.
Initially I thought 10” clearance might be overkill then I looked closer at your truck with SRW, chains, & winch. Dropping the pin will give you another 2 1/2” just use all the bolts.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Initially I thought 10” clearance might be overkill then I looked closer at your truck with SRW, chains, & winch. Dropping the pin will give you another 2 1/2” just use all the bolts.

Trailer is level now, and it’s been lifted just under 1” at the suspension and running larger tires. Any more clearance means an unlevel trailer or lifting the trailer more.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
I am running with 5 - 5 1/2 inches of bed clearance, I couldn't get more than that keeping the trailer level. I am a full-time RV'r and have not had any issues in the past 2 1/2 years. Now, my real limiting factor is really the trailer. It has a drop frame so there is not a lot of clearance between the ground and the bottom/landing gear on the front of the trailer. I am VERY conscientious of driveway angles when pulling in/out of locations, (a lot of scouting/planning stops with Google earth street view), and if one looks bad, I go somewhere else. If I hit one with a whoop de doo or dip big enough to have the trailer hit the bed rails, I am probably going to rip the underbelly out of the trailer and get high-centered next! Obviously, I am not venturing far off smooth blacktop EVER! Heck, that Starbucks cup would be tall enough to high-center the front of the trailer! LOL!

20221105_104432.jpg

Diesel42

Reaction score
I am running with 5 - 5 1/2 inches of bed clearance, I couldn't get more than that keeping the trailer level. I am a full-time RV'r and have not had any issues in the past 2 1/2 years. Now, my real limiting factor is really the trailer. It has a drop frame so there is not a lot of clearance between the ground and the bottom/landing gear on the front of the trailer. I am VERY conscientious of driveway angles when pulling in/out of locations, (a lot of scouting/planning stops with Google earth street view), and if one looks bad, I go somewhere else. If I hit one with a whoop de doo or dip big enough to have the trailer hit the bed rails, I am probably going to rip the underbelly out of the trailer and get high-centered next! Obviously, I am not venturing far off smooth blacktop EVER! Heck, that Starbucks cup would be tall enough to high-center the front of the trailer! LOL!

View attachment 48503
Have you considered a axle flip, I did it when I bought my 33' 5th wheel toybox last year. Gives you at least 6" of ground and bed clearance.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Have you considered a axle flip, I did it when I bought my 33' 5th wheel toybox last year. Gives you at least 6" of ground and bed clearance.
The springs are already on top of the axles, plus these are already at 13'5" at the top of the A/C's

superjoe83

Reaction score

View attachment 48503
Those TH momentums do sit low in the front, is that a 397?
I definitely wouldn't be able to go where I do with my 395 if it had a drop frame.
20220716_132219.jpg

44Dan44

Reaction score
Plenty of people with lifted trucks towing 5th wheels, its all about choosing the right hitch and right pin box to find the best balance for your particular RV and truck to achieve a level tow and the bed clearance you need. Some have higher levels of adjustment than others. There is no simple answer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Plenty of people with lifted trucks towing 5th wheels, its all about choosing the right hitch and right pin box to find the best balance for your particular RV and truck to achieve a level tow and the bed clearance you need. Some have higher levels of adjustment than others. There is no simple answer.
Its about choosing the right trailer these days as There are lots of factors such as legal max height that make it where you can not tow with a lifted vehicle and have proper bed clearance and the trailer ride flat, i have lifted enough trailers and now these new trailers a lot of them can not be lifted due to the manufactures building them so close to 13’6”.

I was looking at a new 40 footer this year it was almost max hight and sitting level there would be almost 0 bed clearance on my truck i would have to run a flat bed to tow it and it would still not be level…

Users who are viewing this thread