Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory puck install and what hitch for Turning Point pinbox?

Wileykid

Reaction score
Unlike when I built the truck and now looking forward I think I am going puck style. The pucks don't seem too bad install wise and I know there are varying opinions both ways but I feel the 4 points are better. Open to discussion!

Reminder....our Reflection has the Turning Point pinbox with GenY making the only replacement as of now and not approved by Lippert from what I have seen. Being a new coach I am committed to using g it for a few years at least.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
The reason the Gen-Y is not approved by Lippert, is they have a major investment and development with Reese. Gen-Y has said the approval process is overly expensive, and Lippert has expressed that they are not interested. A lot of people are using the Gen-Y, and any frame failures, Lippert would have to prove the hitch caused it.

I would have a Gen-Y if I had a long bed, or my driveway wasn't on a hill such that the angle backing in from the level road brings the nose cap down to where it is not scalloped.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The reason the Gen-Y is not approved by Lippert, is they have a major investment and development with Reese. Gen-Y has said the approval process is overly expensive, and Lippert has expressed that they are not interested. A lot of people are using the Gen-Y, and any frame failures, Lippert would have to prove the hitch caused it.

Thats stupid there is no way a frame failure would be caused by a pinbox anyway

whitexc

Reaction score
Way too much reading on all the hitches, turnover balls, goose jobbers. I am back to thinking of going with rails in the bed for the small chance a truck change happens. I could then take my hitch to the next truck with new rails. If I go OEM puck style I am stuck there sort of.

The install of the pucks doesn't look so bad. Same with the turnover ball. Just undecided still and with no real discounts out there make it easy to keep looking.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Way too much reading on all the hitches, turnover balls, goose jobbers. I am back to thinking of going with rails in the bed for the small chance a truck change happens. I could then take my hitch to the next truck with new rails. If I go OEM puck style I am stuck there sort of.

The install of the pucks doesn't look so bad. Same with the turnover ball. Just undecided still and with no real discounts out there make it easy to keep looking.

Cost wise the rails are the cheapest and so quick to install

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

If you’re concerned about the next truck, I wouldn’t be as the oem stuff sells quick on Craigslist, then get a turnover ball and the lower rated companion. I wouldn’t go rails.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you’re concerned about the next truck, I wouldn’t be as the oem stuff sells quick on Craigslist, then get a turnover ball and the lower rated companion. I wouldn’t go rails.
Why there is nothing wrong with rails if you dont mind them being in the bed. I have run rails for decades before the pucks came out there is nothing wrong with them….

whitexc

Reaction score
Why there is nothing wrong with rails if you dont mind them being in the bed. I have run rails for decades before the pucks came out there is nothing wrong with them….
I was originally trying to keep the bed clean when not towing. That is why was shooting for the factory puck system. Maybe the turnover ball is best for me.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Simply an antiquated that isn’t nearly as clean, with or without the hitch installed.

They work, and were the only option for years. But there are much better options now.

Nothing wrong with embracing new and improved technology.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Simply an antiquated that isn’t nearly as clean, with or without the hitch installed.

They work, and were the only option for years. But there are much better options now.

Nothing wrong with embracing new and improved technology.
I have the pucks i like them but i guess for me its not a big deal to have rails as my hitch stays in the box of the truck 99% of the time

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the pucks i like them but i guess for me its not a big deal to have rails as my hitch stays in the box of the truck 99% of the time

My hitch is always in and out depending on what I’m doing with the truck or what I’m towing.

I probably wouldn’t have gone with a 5th wheel if rails were the only option, I just do too much other stuff with my truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My hitch is always in and out depending on what I’m doing with the truck or what I’m towing.

I probably wouldn’t have gone with a 5th wheel if rails were the only option, I just do too much other stuff with my truck.
Fain enough, I have a 5th wheel dump trailer and 30ft flat deck so my hitch is always getting used lol

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
Keeping this alive...anyone running PullRite Super rails, the removable ones? I like the idea. Rail style hitch that can go truck to truck and removable rails for the clean look and use of the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread