Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory puck install and what hitch for Turning Point pinbox?

whitexc

Reaction score
After many years owning TT's we are going 5'er behind the Hemi powered Ram. Short of turning this into the weight debate....my truck (2500 BH CCSB) will do fine with this coach. I am going to install the factory puck system soon. Doesn't look like a horrible job. Measure lots/drill once. Any pointers are appreciated.

Our 150 series Reflection 298BH has a Turning Point pinbox for use with short bed trucks. I want my truck bed at times so removable and clean (no or removable rails) are musts. I am leaning towards a B&W Companion although heavy and cumbersome to take out often. The dealer is pushing PullRite 1900 series. It looks nice as well.

I have until April to figure out the hitch, bags/springs (coil support) and possibly a cargo cam if it helps with hitching and isn't all grainy. Any tips or pointers are welcome from those who have ventured down a similar path.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I’m not an expert but you don’t really need the entire puck system. Get the B and W companion hitch and then all you need is the B and W turnover ball. You’ll only have one hole in your bed, plus it’s stronger I believe.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I'll suggest another option to think about.
Convert the rv to a gooseneck setup with either a reese goosebox or gen-y gooseneck conversion, then get the gen-y 5 inch offset ball for the puck system.
This will help save some payload, and offset the trailer for more cab clearance, and you won't have a heavy hitch to take in and out

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Any puck system hitch will be adequate as long as you can get the proper wedge for the pin box

whitexc

Reaction score
I'll suggest another option to think about.
Convert the rv to a gooseneck setup with either a reese goosebox or gen-y gooseneck conversion, then get the gen-y 5 inch offset ball for the puck system.
This will help save some payload, and offset the trailer for more cab clearance, and you won't have a heavy hitch to take in and out

This looks nice. Being new(er) to this stuff. How is the install on the goose ball setup? Bed off and moderate install? The puck system is loosen some bed mounts and you can get the brackets in. Drivers side is worse than the passenger from what I see.

Not sure I could change the pinbox on the brand new coach without affecting warranty. That's a question for now and I want to do this once and be done with it.

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
I’m not an expert but you don’t really need the entire puck system. Get the B and W companion hitch and then all you need is the B and W turnover ball. You’ll only have one hole in your bed, plus it’s stronger I believe.
You have at least 3 holes in the bed from what I see. Ball and chains on each side.....correct? School me but how is the single point in a crossmember stronger than 4 frame attachments? Not being a wise guy.

I'm doing my best to learn and take in all the info I can. I also want to stay away from the dealer for cost and the narrow perspective they seem to have. They are pushing specific parts and they aren't bad parts but they aren't the only parts out there that will do the job.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with the B&W puck system. It’s a solid setup that will last a long time.

The quickest and cleanest option to remove would be a B&W turnover ball and a Reese goosebox, if your trailer warranty allows it.

I’ve thought about converting to a goosebox, but have decided to stick with my B&W Companion, for now.

The B&W for the pucks is stronger (i.e. rated higher) than the B&W companion. It takes 5 holes, not 1, but 4 of them are smaller.

I’ve been around both and prefer the pucks.

whitexc

Reaction score
What are the 5 holes you say for the Companion? Looks like the 4 pucks and maybe a 7 way plug relocate? Maybe it uses the middle goose ball hole too?

Dealer is @ $2800 for the PullRite 16k with removable rails installed. Looks like I can get the Companion, OEM puck system and a plug kit to put one in the bed and not drape the cord down to the bumper for around $1600 +/-. Save myself $1200? Sounds good to me and I like a challenge.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the 5 holes you say for the Companion? Looks like the 4 pucks and maybe a 7 way plug relocate? Maybe it uses the middle goose ball hole too?

Dealer is @ $2800 for the PullRite 16k with removable rails installed. Looks like I can get the Companion, OEM puck system and a plug kit to put one in the bed and not drape the cord down to the bumper for around $1600 +/-. Save myself $1200? Sounds good to me and I like a challenge.

For the OEM pucks it's 4 holes, unless you add the GN hitch which isn't required.

For the B&W turnover ball it's the main turnover hole, plus 4 holes for the safety chain brackets.

Wiring would be another hole, and I would go with the OEM stuff on that one regardless of what hitch you choose.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
@whitexc hopefully you got my reply. Currently there is no option other than GenY if you wan to covert from kingpin to goose. I was hoping the 3rd Gen Reese Goosebox would accommodate the Turing Point bolt pattern but it does not. I went the GenY route and love it but be warned, GenY isn’t approved by Lippert.

The 150 series from Grand Design were “designed” for 1/2 trucks with short beds in mind (full disclosure , no way in hell I’d tow one of these with a 1/2 ton). Having said that, the pin weights are comparatively low and more importantly, the front caps have a tighter profile to accommodate short beds typically found on 1/2 tons (5.5’ or so). With this in mind, I have not needed to offset my connection with my 6’4” bed and can get darn near 90*. Sliders are nice but you probably won’t ever need it with your current setup so skip it unless you just want the peace of mind. Oh ya, if you keep the Turning Point and want to utilize the rear pivot point you will need a hitch that connect via the 4 pucks, not just the goose ball. Any hitch on the market that drops in and attaches to only the goose ball explicitly states any pin box that has a rear pivot point must be locked out.

We have very similar setups, let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit: forgot to mention my truck didn’t have the factory 5th wheel/goose prep so I installed a B&W turnover as well as the factory pucks. Job wasn’t horrible, I was able to do it on my own in my garage.

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
Thanks Grateful Dad. I did get your response and must have been putting out fires, failing to respond. I have been reading and reading and writing trying to figure this out. I appreciate all the input.

Still leaning towards the B&W from all that I have read. One guy had a comment about hiw it was tough to lock in but other than that people really like how they hitch and how they ride. As stated, I can do the puck, hitch and wiring install and save at least $1k. I don't feel bad for the dealer. They got Reflection money from us lol.

tchur1

Reaction score
Stupid question - whats the install process like on the turnover if you have a gooseneck prepped truck from the factory?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Stupid question - whats the install process like on the turnover if you have a gooseneck prepped truck from the factory?
Unbolt and bolt, it can be a bit of a pain but its not hard.

whitexc

Reaction score
Unlike when I built the truck and now looking forward I think I am going puck style. The pucks don't seem too bad install wise and I know there are varying opinions both ways but I feel the 4 points are better. Open to discussion!

Reminder....our Reflection has the Turning Point pinbox with GenY making the only replacement as of now and not approved by Lippert from what I have seen. Being a new coach I am committed to using g it for a few years at least.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I much prefer 5th wheel (mainly my air ride hitch) but its just so much nicer to pin up and legal to tandem tow with… also the B&W sucks here as the ball seizes in so easy if left in the stowed position and its only benefit is if you were using an offset ball which you don't need because you are running a turning point pin box which works really well in my experience

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I much prefer 5th wheel (mainly my air ride hitch) but its just so much nicer to pin up and legal to tandem tow with…

Where do you double tow at?

I’ve never double towed anywhere that requires the 1st trailer to be a 5th wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread