Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory orders waiting lounge, settle in and kick off your shoes

jebruns

Reaction score
Reading these forums makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I have a 22 on order to replace my 18 (loaded, 40K miles). I ordered basically the same truck, but with all the newer tech stuff. Only reason I'm doing it is because my 18 is worth so much more than I paid for it. I bought it as a Certified Pre-Owned at the very beginning of the Covid lockdowns and got a really smoking deal on it. And it's been a great truck which I love to drive. Reading the forums about some of the uConnect 5 issues, service issues dealers can't or won't solve, parts unavailability, low mileage breakdowns, etc makes me wonder if I should just keep what I've got. I totally get that folks usually only come to forums when they have a problem and that tends to blow them out of proportion. But it's still worrisome to sell a known reliable truck and spin the wheel.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Reading these forums makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I have a 22 on order to replace my 18 (loaded, 40K miles). I ordered basically the same truck, but with all the newer tech stuff. Only reason I'm doing it is because my 18 is worth so much more than I paid for it. I bought it as a Certified Pre-Owned at the very beginning of the Covid lockdowns and got a really smoking deal on it. And it's been a great truck which I love to drive. Reading the forums about some of the uConnect 5 issues, service issues dealers can't or won't solve, parts unavailability, low mileage breakdowns, etc makes me wonder if I should just keep what I've got. I totally get that folks usually only come to forums when they have a problem and that tends to blow them out of proportion. But it's still worrisome to sell a known reliable truck and spin the wheel.
One guy’s $0.02….keep what you have if you like it. 40K miles on an 18 is barely broken in - you can ride that thing in to the ground after 250-300 thousand miles…

You could also find ways to integrate tech that replicates or beats what’s in the 22s for a lot less money and keep your sure thing. Manufacturing during COVID is a bit of a crap shoot. I think I got lucky with my gasser (but who knows). Judging from what I’ve been reading - if I were in your shoes I’d stick with the sure thing….

Again - one guy’s $0.02. Your mileage may vary….

99mo

Reaction score
While the market seems to be cooling some for the used truck market, I would keep my 22 order. Never know, but the value you are going to get now for your 18 is probably the best you will get going forward. Inflation has really hit the new trucks. the 23's will probably also increase in price. How much? Who knows? Also, you are price locked with the 22. For me, I need a bigger truck. No debate. Yes, I have read those threads on issues for all the Big 3. I will deal with it if I have to. For you, you already have the truck capability. Tough choice.

tchur1

Reaction score
Ive had a 22 for about 4 months now and love it. I think a lot of the complaints are way overblown and I (knock on wood) have had very minimal issues at most. That said, if you ordered the same truck just for the hell of it, id probably keep the '18 if I were you.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
was in a somewhat similar situation...had a 2016 dually and a year ago it was worth $33-35k..checked the book value at the end of last year and it was more than what I paid for it...paid $42.5k new in 2016 and it was worth $44-48k...went down the rabbit hole on here finding Mark Dodge with their discounts...ran the numbers and was like, if there was a time to buy again, might as well be now. My truck before the 2016 was a 2003 so it'd been a few years since I bought one....

I ended up going from a Tradesman to a well equipped bighorn...financed a year shorter than the 2016 but still had a lower payment

To me it's about what your objective is...keep your truck, get it paid off and then deal with issues as they come up or just plan on a payment and have something newer while pushing the paid off days a few years down the road. Then again that's one of the main deciding factors in any vehicle purchasing decisions....already budgeted for that monthly payment and keep it going or strive to get things paid off. We are still in a place where we are putting 30-45k miles a year on multiple vehicles so keeping the vehicle lineup as reliable as possible is our objective now...

The only thing I'd probably do different is to not get caught up in the what I can afford vs what I "need"... would've been fine just going back with the tradesman as it's mainly only driven when we're pulling (have 7k on it and bought it in late Feb)...have a second car for daily driving...if I didn't have that, I'd probably have bumped up another trim level

jebruns

Reaction score
Ive had a 22 for about 4 months now and love it. I think a lot of the complaints are way overblown and I (knock on wood) have had very minimal issues at most. That said, if you ordered the same truck just for the hell of it, id probably keep the '18 if I were you.
It wasn't just for the hell of it. 2 reasons really. First being the truck is worth so much more than I paid for it and that is the only way to realize the "gain". Second is that the wife got a new Pacifica Limited last fall and it has all the safety bells and whistles, lane keep stuff, etc. She wants my truck to have all of those features as well. Stepping up from a really loaded up Laramie to a Longhorn Limited too.

Whether I go through with it not (using Granger) will depend on what my truck is worth whenever the new one finally shows up. And probably how hard the wife pushes me to do it. She can be pretty persuasive. ;)

tchur1

Reaction score
If the wife is already on board do it! When I was ordering my truck I was between the laramie and a limited but couldnt. get all of the safety features on the laramie due to parts shortages. Went with the limited and am so glad I did. The trailer blind spot alone is awesome IMO. With the extra context you provided id get the new truck! Plus, why not, you cant take the mone ywith you when youre dead.

jebruns

Reaction score
If the wife is already on board do it! When I was ordering my truck I was between the laramie and a limited but couldnt. get all of the safety features on the laramie due to parts shortages. Went with the limited and am so glad I did. The trailer blind spot alone is awesome IMO. With the extra context you provided id get the new truck! Plus, why not, you cant take the mone ywith you when youre dead.
Yeah, most likely the wife will get her way. Time will tell.

I went with a Longhorn Limited because I wanted the better ride of he 18" tires. They force you into 20's on the Limited.

Lst1504

Reaction score
I
I'm driving a 96 8.0 ltr 2500 never had a minute of trouble till 6 month ago, think it's intermittent pcm issue but no parts available so ordered 22 2500 gas engine in July but gonna keep old one for backup

Users who are viewing this thread