Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory off-road package vs auto leveling

KB RAM

Reaction score
I’m buying a gas 2500 this weekend and I’ve narrowed the search down to 2 trucks. Both have all the options I want including ext/int color but one has off road package and other has auto leveling air rear. I’ll be towing as much as I go off road which is minimal.

My question is, which suspension will offer better ride quality unloaded on the highway?

Thanks!
Kris

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would offer a different viewpoint.

I traded a 2018 Rebel with air suspension on my 2019 2500 gas coil spring truck. I can really tell no difference in tbe ride on the highway. Both trucks ride well on the highway. Where I notice the difference is around town. The Rebel was terrible on speed bumps, but good on regular in town roads. The 2500 is better over speed bumps, but not as good on city streets at 30 mph.

From my perspective, the 2500 is overall better for my useage today.

But that is my opinion and everyone has one! In the end you pay your money and take your chances....but, there are no losers with these new trucks!

Nightrain

Reaction score
I’m buying a gas 2500 this weekend and I’ve narrowed the search down to 2 trucks. Both have all the options I want including ext/int color but one has off road package and other has auto leveling air rear. I’ll be towing as much as I go off road which is minimal.

My question is, which suspension will offer better ride quality unloaded on the highway?

Thanks!
Kris
I test drove both with the Cummins and felt the off-road package was a much better ride. The air suspension felt more jumpy to me.

KB RAM

Reaction score
I test drove both with the Cummins and felt the off-road package was a much better ride. The air suspension felt more jumpy to me.
I actually read that the off road was tuned to soak up more so it would more compliant. I drove the offroad and felt fine to me but can't seem to test drive both back to back as no dealers close to me have both on the lot.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The best ride with a Heavy Duty is going to be with a load. Unloaded it is really going to be the opinion of the driver.

If you do not need the benefit of the air suspension and do not need what the offroad package offers...the best ride will just be the regular suspension.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the air suspension even do anything for unloaded ride.

I know it lowers for hitching and then levels the load/tongue weight, which is more than enough reason to get it.

The offroad package offers the hill descent which is another goodreason to get it.

Can you get both?

Can Powerwagon get the air?

D

Deleted member 80

In the 3500 it does, as the leaf spring pack is reduced, so there is more compliance. My buddy recently got a 3500 SRW with air ride, and he had driven both versions.

KB RAM

Reaction score
Found this on the 2500 press release
Suspension:
Heavy Duty trucks generally have a suspension equipped for constant, heavy payloads. A byproduct of that is a harsher ride when unloaded. To combat that Ram is using Frequency Response Damping (FRD) shocks on all four corners. The valves of an FRD shock automatically adjust for the type of vertical wheel input, allowing the Ram Heavy Duty to have a stiffer suspension feel for handling and a supple suspension feel on rough terrain. Engineers added progressive springs and upgraded bushings to the suspension system, including the exclusive five-link coil design on Ram 2500, providing better load-carrying characteristics and improved articulation over obstacles when compared to a leaf-spring system.
A class-exclusive Active-Level rear air suspension is available on both the Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 and includes some ingenious features. Controlled via an in-cab mounted toggle switch you can put the rear air suspension into bed lowering mode to lower the rear of the truck for easier loading or trailer hookup, normal/payload mode or a trailer-tow mode.
The 2019 Ram 2500 uses two air bags to replace the coil springs. Load capacity is not sacrificed, and the Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil with an air suspension option).

KB RAM

Reaction score
So I bought a new Ram 2500 Longhorn with rear air suspension on Friday. I was able to test drive 3 trucks with all 3 suspension options and in my opinion the air ride rear is by far the smoothest riding truck of the 3. The trick is and I'm unsure why the dealership can't get this right but the air pressure needs to be adjusted off the transport truck. All 3 trucks were still at the psi used in transport of 88psi upfront and 85psi in the rear. Ram recommends 65psi upfront and 70psi rear cold, this info is found right in the door. Once we adjusted the PSI I drove each on the same 10 mile loop at the same speed and there as an obvious difference in the 3 suspensions, but before we adjusted the PSI I could not tell one from the other, all 3 rode equally rough.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Found this on the 2500 press release
Suspension:
Heavy Duty trucks generally have a suspension equipped for constant, heavy payloads. A byproduct of that is a harsher ride when unloaded. To combat that Ram is using Frequency Response Damping (FRD) shocks on all four corners. The valves of an FRD shock automatically adjust for the type of vertical wheel input, allowing the Ram Heavy Duty to have a stiffer suspension feel for handling and a supple suspension feel on rough terrain. Engineers added progressive springs and upgraded bushings to the suspension system, including the exclusive five-link coil design on Ram 2500, providing better load-carrying characteristics and improved articulation over obstacles when compared to a leaf-spring system.
A class-exclusive Active-Level rear air suspension is available on both the Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 and includes some ingenious features. Controlled via an in-cab mounted toggle switch you can put the rear air suspension into bed lowering mode to lower the rear of the truck for easier loading or trailer hookup, normal/payload mode or a trailer-tow mode.
The 2019 Ram 2500 uses two air bags to replace the coil springs. Load capacity is not sacrificed, and the Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil with an air suspension option).
Just be careful when towing in the bags. Too much can and will blow airbags if you hit a big enough dip in the road. Happened to me with first 2 weeks. $2400 fix, but got warranty to cover it.

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
Can the Off-Road shocks be put on a truck with the standard suspension? My 2500 has regular suspension, but I drove one with the Off-Road shocks and it rode much nicer...

Users who are viewing this thread