Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory brake control

htrotte

Reaction score
Has anyone added the factory trailer brake controller to their 2019 2500. Just bought the truck and it has everything I wanted except the brake control. Is the control for the 1500 the same?

Demaggg

Reaction score
Has anyone added the factory trailer brake controller to their 2019 2500. Just bought the truck and it has everything I wanted except the brake control. Is the control for the 1500 the same?
I got my 2019 tradesman to months ago. The truck I wanted to buy had everything I wanted but came with the 4.10 gear ratio. What I bought was the same truck give or take a few options. It did have the bright factory side steps but not the trailer bake control or the tow mirrors. I told the sales person I wanted to add them and was told no problem. At paper work time they " didnt have the numbers yet" As several people had stayed after hrs so I could pick the truck up at 9:00 pm I just signed and figured I would add the stuff when I took it back for my first oil change. I received a call a few days later telling me both the mirrors and tow controler are not available as a add on. It's not that the parts dont exist but that the build code needed to be changed so these things would function properly. I was told the same thing when I asked about remote start. I ended up putting in a Reese unit in. In the past I have added what ever I wanted with out issues. I even called the manufacture and was told I'm out of luck. Sorry for the long story and not being any help. I got the plug and play jumper for the Reese controler and other than finding the plug. The installation was cake. My thoughts were to use it like this until I could work out how to install the factory unit. I probably wont bother now as the after market unit works great and is hidden in the center storage cubby. Good luck!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
FWIW folks over on the 1500 board have been able to add OEM parts after the fact through the dealer (not all dealers are willing, however).
And yes, for many add-ons the computer needs to be flashed to accept the part being installed.

I'd say look around for a dealer who is will to do the work for the sale...

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
If these trucks are "programmed" the same as the 2018s, both of these options should be able to be added and programmed on your own with AlfaOBD. Once I recoup some funds, I will purchase the $50 AlfaOBD program and play with it to see.

Albert193500

Reaction score
I added the oem unit to my 17 3500 with no issue. After I installed it I took it to the dealer and they programmed for 1 hour labor. I cant say for sure about the 19s as mine came with it.

Users who are viewing this thread