Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory air suspension operation

kxnate

Reaction score
I have read numerous times on this forum that the factory air suspension system is completely sealed and intakes no outside air, nor discharges any air to atmosphere. If that is truly the case, than please explain this line which comes off the compressor, runs up the inside of the front of the box on the passenger side, which connects to a filter, and in which the end of the hose off the filter is wide open to atmosphere???20211126_095256.jpg20211126_095327.jpg20211126_095351.jpg

tnpete

Reaction score
Wish I had a link to the Answer. But feel the sealed system. Is for the 1500's with front and rear bags. I have read where a couple of people. Had there air line unplug. They plugged it back in, thus would not be sealed.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I don't have air. In cold climates I've heard it's a little problematic. I do know it's a closed system and uses nitrogen. So like you I'm confused. My guess is it's possibly taking in outside air to offset pressures on one side of the system to force the nitrogen down the other side of the system? Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Diegosando

Reaction score
Back in August, I had the driver side airbag burst pulling out of my driveway after hooking up to my travel trailer. It was fixed by the dealer under warranty. Fast forward to december, driving down the interstate completely unloaded and the same bag blew out again.. So I checked it out and saw that the air line had come undone from the bag...dealer cant check it out for another week, so im thinking ill hook the air line back up and see what happens when I start the compressor.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Diegosando

Reaction score
Back in August, I had the driver side airbag burst pulling out of my driveway after hooking up to my travel trailer. It was fixed by the dealer under warranty. Fast forward to december, driving down the interstate completely unloaded and the same bag blew out again.. So I checked it out and saw that the air line had come undone from the bag...dealer cant check it out for another week, so im thinking ill hook the air line back up and see what happens when I start the compressor.

Update* I plugged the fitting back in to the top of the air bag but it never really felt like it got tight. I fired the truck up and the compressor kicked on and inflated the suspention like normal. Well, at first it was lop sided until I moved the truck from its parking spot then it leveled out better.. Seems like its not a sealed system but I cant say for sure.. Still taking it in monday to get checked out.
d66d89774440b5912daed43774a01605.jpg

tnpete

Reaction score
Did they have to vacuum the system out? Then add the nitrogen back to the system? My 22 ram 3500 with air assist. Had the line blow away from the push in fitting on the drivers side air bag. Pushed it back into the fitting. But not sure its in there good enough.
I have delt with these push in airlines for years in Semi trucks. Always feel them snap when its in the fitting. But now mine is back to working. Will get it into the dealer and see what they say. Hauled our 2016 Eagle Cap Truck camper back home 650 miles. Went to move it in the shop and a giant gush of air came out.

Users who are viewing this thread