Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory air filter (2019+ Hemi/Cummins)

Madland

Reaction score
I've always been partial to WIX filters

^^^ This. Used Wix in my 2006 Duramax as well. Stay away from the aftermarket oiled air filters out there. Everything I've seen reveals no benefits or gains in any category and usually leads to codes being thrown. Stock paper filter works just fine. If you open the air box regularly you can remove the filter..a few light taps to knock out any debris and dirt and extend the life of the filter a bit. My .02

el_barto

Reaction score
so my 6.7 HO threw an under boost code. Apparently aftermarket STP filters, regardless of their 1:1 replacement from mopar will kick your truck effectively out of warranty. I asked the dealer and mopar for the ISO filtration and flow requirements to call their bluff as I don’t believe the “glue strips” have any effect…crickets and “we rely on the dealer”… but word to the wise on replacing with non mopar filter.
Huh…that’s wild. I wonder if they will go back to the non-glue version then.
Sounds like the issue would only effect the Cummins not the Hemi, so I’m not personally concerned the new filter I put in has the glue.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
Fleetguard for the WIN!
After I compared the Oem, wix, and Fram, against the FG the choice was simple. The FG is way heavier, more pleats, and no plastic bands. Genos garage sells them.

Truckman

Reaction score
Use only factory filters and won't have a warranty problem as long as it was serviced properly. How can you prove that any aftermarket filter is equivalent? Are the Fram and other aftermarket filters really much cheaper? I had a friend and he went to Auto Zone or Advance and was paying more for Fram than Genos wanted for Mopar. After I showed him the Genos catalog he returned the one he bought and placed an order.

Wileykid

Reaction score
so my 6.7 HO threw an under boost code. Apparently aftermarket STP filters, regardless of their 1:1 replacement from mopar will kick your truck effectively out of warranty. I asked the dealer and mopar for the ISO filtration and flow requirements to call their bluff as I don’t believe the “glue strips” have any effect…crickets and “we rely on the dealer”… but word to the wise on replacing with non mopar filter.

I was running the STP filter also, but on my last towing trip, the truck also did the P0299 code, although it felt like is was running fine. Dealer mechanic said they have seen enough of them that RAM now considers it a "rapid response" issue. This was my second STP filter, and last one had no issues, even towing over 4K miles with it in. Read about the aftermarket filter/OEM, and being 600 miles from home, bought a OEM and put it in. STP, which had about 800 miles on it, looked great. No code since though, so who knows.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
index.php

1633928457691.png

Users who are viewing this thread