Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Exhaust System Service Required - See Dealer" Message - Had to have the truck towed

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Yesterday I had to run to the city to run some errands. Got on the county road and was cruising at about 65 when something slammed and red-lined the RPM's and promptly slowed me down to 30mph. It felt like a 3 or 4 gear downshift in a tractor, bout lawn darted me. The message "Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer" popped up and I could not get the truck to accelerate over 40. Even going from 30-40 was a chore and just racked the RPM's up. Had to keep going cause I was in an area with no service so I limped it for a minute and then it started to shake/vibrate like an old 3rd gen death wobble any time I was in the throttle, even the slightest bit. Shaking/vibrating would stop as soon as I let off of it. I just filled the DEF up 2 days prior so it wasn't that. I called the dealer, they said it sounded like a turbo and to have it towed. I have roadside assistance and was only 3 miles from home so I limped it home to tow it from there. The problem is the message went away and the truck started acting normal about 200 yards from my house. I already had the tow on the way so I went ahead and had them take it. Still haven't heard from the dealer.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's a 2020 3500 SO diesel. I've got a 2022 on order so this thing doesn't have to last me much longer but I'd like to know how it's going to affect my trade.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
could be a fuel pump. maybe an actuator..? I wouldn't think turbo necessarily, unless it bellowed black smoke at all.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
could be a fuel pump. maybe an actuator..? I wouldn't think turbo necessarily, unless it bellowed black smoke at all.

Nossir no smoke whatsoever. I thought the same thing about the fuel pump but they said the message would have said something about the fuel system in the message. It did say “service fuel filter” once along with the other message but immediately went away and dealer said it was just because I needed a service. Hoping they know what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
good luck with that. keep the thread updated with what ends up being the issue. maybe a weak in tank pump..?

leeparnell89

Reaction score
So it’s been about a month and I’m just now getting around to an update. Originally my truck was at the dealership for a week with no update. It was towed in on a Monday morning and I called Thursday evening to inquire about it. When I called, their excuse was that they could not get the truck to replicate the issue. Unfortunately the truck had worked itself out and quit acting up right as I got back to my house to have it towed. They said they’d been driving it around for days and nothing. Ok, that sucks but I’ll come get it. Showed up to get it and find they’ve only put 1.5 miles on the truck. It was functioning and I was irate so I just left to avoid a confrontation. Fast forward a week and I’m dragging a trailer into town to pick up deer corn and passing a slow moving 18 wheeler. Truck goes into limp mode again leaving me exposed and limping into oncoming traffic. I was able to avoid disaster but now I’m having trouble not being a hinderance to other drivers. Anyone who knows 281 north of Stephenville knows what I’m talking about. Nowhere to pull over, basically just white knuckle it to town. Made it to the dealer while the truck was still acting up. Talked to the original tech and managed to only have a small come apart when he told me he only drove my truck once the week before and it was after I called to ask about it. Thankfully this go round they jumped on it and had it diagnosed to the DEF pump by that afternoon. Got it replaced and the truck serviced and was able to pick it up within 2 days. Picked it up the day before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day we had a 200 mile round trip to see family. Made it about halfway there and the truck threw the same “exhaust system service” message and went into limp mode again. At this point we are in the middle of nowhere on a holiday with my infant daughter and had no choice but to keep driving. Made it to my aunts house and spent the day there, fired the truck up to leave and no warning but have check engine lights. Truck seems to be functioning but isn’t happy about it and is drinking fuel. Drove it for a couple days because I had to have it and it worked itself out and lights went away. Has yet to do it again and my ‘22 is scheduled to be delivered on the 27th. At this point I’m just crossing my fingers til I can get out from under this thing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im gonna guess its the DPF not the DEF pump as if it was the pump it usually will just throw a limp mode in amount of miles warning, i say this because i had a broken wire for the DEF pump and thats all it did

fossfactor

Reaction score
So it’s been about a month and I’m just now getting around to an update. Originally my truck was at the dealership for a week with no update. It was towed in on a Monday morning and I called Thursday evening to inquire about it. When I called, their excuse was that they could not get the truck to replicate the issue. Unfortunately the truck had worked itself out and quit acting up right as I got back to my house to have it towed. They said they’d been driving it around for days and nothing. Ok, that sucks but I’ll come get it. Showed up to get it and find they’ve only put 1.5 miles on the truck. It was functioning and I was irate so I just left to avoid a confrontation. Fast forward a week and I’m dragging a trailer into town to pick up deer corn and passing a slow moving 18 wheeler. Truck goes into limp mode again leaving me exposed and limping into oncoming traffic. I was able to avoid disaster but now I’m having trouble not being a hinderance to other drivers. Anyone who knows 281 north of Stephenville knows what I’m talking about. Nowhere to pull over, basically just white knuckle it to town. Made it to the dealer while the truck was still acting up. Talked to the original tech and managed to only have a small come apart when he told me he only drove my truck once the week before and it was after I called to ask about it. Thankfully this go round they jumped on it and had it diagnosed to the DEF pump by that afternoon. Got it replaced and the truck serviced and was able to pick it up within 2 days. Picked it up the day before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day we had a 200 mile round trip to see family. Made it about halfway there and the truck threw the same “exhaust system service” message and went into limp mode again. At this point we are in the middle of nowhere on a holiday with my infant daughter and had no choice but to keep driving. Made it to my aunts house and spent the day there, fired the truck up to leave and no warning but have check engine lights. Truck seems to be functioning but isn’t happy about it and is drinking fuel. Drove it for a couple days because I had to have it and it worked itself out and lights went away. Has yet to do it again and my ‘22 is scheduled to be delivered on the 27th. At this point I’m just crossing my fingers til I can get out from under this thing.

I got a message 5 mph in 125 miles. My dealer is 90 miles away so this is scary. Reading other threads I guess it is either the def or the pump. I only have 20K miles on the truck and this should be covered. Waiting for a call back.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
I got a message 5 mph in 125 miles. My dealer is 90 miles away so this is scary. Reading other threads I guess it is either the def or the pump. I only have 20K miles on the truck and this should be covered. Waiting for a call back.

This sounds similar to what H3LZSN1P3R was saying above. May be something along those lines. Did you make it to a dealer?

fossfactor

Reaction score
at the deeper and they are charging me 75.00 to clear the DPM. They call it a flash. They saw Chrysler cannot be responsible for frozen def. My question is how do they know it is frozen? Working on setting up a 12 volt RV water tank heater to avoid this problem.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
In all honesty if it were me I’d find a new dealer. DEF is 2/3 water but should be able to freeze and thaw in the tank without much issue. If it froze in the lines that may be a different story though. I’m in Texas and rarely get an opportunity to freeze though so take that for what it’s worth lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread