Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Brake Acting Up

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Knowing the difference between “auto” and “full” for the diesel exhaust brake, is it normal for it to NOT engage when braking? I noticed between 25-30 MPH it would sometimes quit or not initiate, even though I was still braking (8% descent). I also noticed it wouldn’t engage randomly at higher speeds (45+ MPH) but if I hit the gas briefly (can you still say that in a diesel?) it would THEN engage once lifting the foot off...

My first diesel... normal behavior?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Knowing the difference between “auto” and “full” for the diesel exhaust brake, is it normal for it to NOT engage when braking? I noticed between 25-30 MPH it would sometimes quit or not initiate, even though I was still braking (8% descent). I also noticed it wouldn’t engage randomly at higher speeds (45+ MPH) but if I hit the gas briefly (can you still say that in a diesel?) it would THEN engage once lifting the foot off...

My first diesel... normal behavior?
That sounds normal. It is affected by your level of braking pressure and works better in tow/haul mode. Takes a little practice to get used to.
It gets more aggressive with a load and your brake foot.

D

Deleted member 80

Also, it cuts off based on RPM, in the 800-1000 range I'd say, so if you are not in Tow/Haul, it's pretty easy to be rolling along at a pretty good clip and have no ex brake. Press the T/H button, and it will wake up.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Also, it cuts off based on RPM, in the 800-1000 range I'd say, so if you are not in Tow/Haul, it's pretty easy to be rolling along at a pretty good clip and have no ex brake. Press the T/H button, and it will wake up.
THIS. When RPM is below 1000, EB will not engage to not choke the motor. Check RPM when you feel like it should have engaged and it did not.
When Tow/Haul mode is ON, transmission will downshift when you slow down, so it will bring RPM up and therefore EB will engage.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Anyone figure how to get brake to come on everytime you start truck? I always forget till i am miles into trip.

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Just to clarify, this was all whilst in Tow/Haul and with a 10k lbs trailer attached.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone figure how to get brake to come on everytime you start truck? I always forget till i am miles into trip.

Nothing to be found in AlfaOBD,

Need to simulate a trailer brake connection. 12 Ohm 10W resistor from brake-ground on a 7-pin plug adapter and set the gain to 0. I used a 7 to 6 pin adapter that I never use for anything else.

I suppose one could get creative and setup one of the Aux switches to connect the trailer brake circuit to a load through ground and set the switch to be sticky (last set). I assume the circuit would need to have a diode in it to prevent issues when a trailer is actually connected. So to prevent all the, the dummy plug is just easier and more KISS.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
People say to have it all the time to keep the ring moving...etc.

I'm starting to wonder how this affects the 68RFE though. I thought I read somewhere that the early exhaust brakes were hard on the thrust bearing or output shaft bearing. In my truck, I can feel the surges with it in auto unloaded and slight bucking with it working. I like the braking performance and keeping the turbo moving but wonder if the trans is getting the short end of the stick with this logic.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've decided that being unable to engage the rear park sense with a trailer sim plug isn't worth it. I'll just keep pressing the button when I fire it up.

CanadianIronhead

Banned for flashing
Reaction score
Maybe your TC was unlocked and the transmission coasting? If so your EB will not kick on, at least that's what happens with my truck.
Little blip in the throttle and voila TC locked up and EB on.

Users who are viewing this thread