Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge EZX info.. good or bad?

Riddick

Reaction score
I reached out to Duramax tuner to see if they can provide some info. For those worried about warranty they are using a modified ECM, please read below for their explanation. They seem to have great customer service and I have read tons of positive review on their tuning.

"Leonard, yes, we are currently working on support for remote tuning. Now, the 22's are going to be a little different than years past. We are going to have to provide a UNLOCKED ecm for you to install and flash w/ the hardware provided. This system is going to be supported through HPTUNER's. The package price to do this truck between the hardware , credits, tuning, unlocked ecm ect is $3020.00 + Shipping. "

Cheapest option currently on the market for actual "Tuning" on 22s. From the sounds of it, once you receive a unlocked ECM you can change tuners if you choose to as long as they use the same interface which is HP Tuners in this case. This is important to point out because some people may choose to put their trucks on a weight loss plan in the future. Duramax tuner will only tune emissions equipped vehicles so those choosing to remove them will have to find a different tuner.

Still a tad expensive for my blood and I am more interested in non emissions tuning but its great to see more options for the newer trucks. I am hoping the more vendors that support these trucks the cheaper the tuning will be. However, since we will need a different ECM I don't see pricing getting much cheaper that want duramaxtuner is currently offering.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
I will certainly let you know. I really want to get it on and see but let's just say a good "friend" who may or may not have the means to tune 22s opened my mind to the differences between my experiences and this box. Not enough to completely sway me but enough to go on the side of caution.

Any update on the unit and performance? Did you end up putting it in?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I ordered one just for the T/H and E/B recall. I’ll play with it and see how my gauges respond after a while, but it’s a short term thing until ‘22 tuning is figured out. I’ll likely stay away from level 5 and mostly play with 1-3.

Much like the past with other things in this realm I’ll likely sell it once I settle on some custom tuning in the future.

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Couldn't help my self playing with level 5 once it was warmed up. Rolling into it from 35MPH my traction control went nuts so it is doing something lol. Egts don't look crazy empty on level 5, 600 - 800, haven't done enough gauge watching to drive pressure and FRP Actual vs Commanded. I'll be playing with it more to see how it runs and then decide on where to run it day to day.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Couldn't help my self playing with level 5 once it was warmed up. Rolling into it from 35MPH my traction control went nuts so it is doing something lol. Egts don't look crazy empty on level 5, 600 - 800, haven't done enough gauge watching to drive pressure and FRP Actual vs Commanded. I'll be playing with it more to see how it runs and then decide on where to run it day to day.
Any new updates to the edge ?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Any new updates to the edge ?

Eh it’s a box tuner so it’s nothing super impressive after the new toy feeling wears off. It seems to like throwing the EGR code I would get with the Banks CAI on any level beyond 2 in certain conditions, but I have the S&B, boost tubes, and the monster ram. I’m sure on a stock truck it would be fine. Primary benefit to me is the T/H & E/B recall, but I have been daily driving it on Level 2 which seems to spool up a little better. I haven’t noticed anything off with temperatures and pressures and no noticeable additional DPF loading. That said I’ve never had DPF issues always treating my fuel and avoiding short tripping it as much as I can.

For me it’s a nice stopgap solution until 2 things happen - The recall for the missing DPF sensor is issued/completed like the C&C guys and custom tuning is a smoother process. It’s nowhere near a good custom tune with trans tuning. I’m sure I’ll eventually do calibrated power SOTF tunes at some point down the road.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think the EZX is doing in lieu of the missing sensor?

What are you monitoring rail pressure with?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What does the missing sensor actually control or monitor?

That’s the $64,000 dollar question.

It’s a particulate matter sensor, but Ram literature makes it sound like it deals with SCR. So who knows.

I’ve read unofficial claims the 22’s are burning a lot more DEF without it, but I haven’t seen any data to actually support that.

My 22 burns about the same amount of DEF as the 19-21’s, so I’m not buying the added burn rate. The rest of the 22’s I’ve seen data on are the same.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
What do you think the EZX is doing in lieu of the missing sensor?

What are you monitoring rail pressure with?

I don't really care so much about the sensor itself, but rather the re-calibration that comes with it. AFAIK the '22's have the same CM2450 as the 19-21, but its the flash on it that's got the updated encryption locking it out. If I did end up PCM swapping it I'd be pretty ticked about getting it re-locked after the fact. If they are able to bench unlock '22 PCM's I wouldn't want to have to get it unlocked again just due to getting a recall taken care of.

For the rail pressure I've just been watching FRP-A vs FRP-C comparing what the EZX is doing to the FRP-A result back from the sensor. In the lower levels I haven't really seen it trying to add much at higher rail pressures, but when you get on it from a stop or low speed it does seem to add some fuel earlier. Being completely honest I'm not a fan of box tuners, but they can have their place if you don't just jump to the max setting and not watch gauges. I don't have the version of the banks guages that datalog and I've slept since the last time I watched it closely, but I didn't see anything that really concerned me about the pressure bump the way I use the truck.

If the truck was gonna have parts fall off then I wouldn't give a damn about the missing DPF sensor and it would already be tuned via a PCM swap. That said I'm aiming to keep it emissions compliant as long as I can since I don't put a ton of miles on it and when I do put miles on it it's usually a driving style that's friendly to the emissions bits - I haven't had a single active regen that wasn't the 24 hr one yet.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
I don't really care so much about the sensor itself, but rather the re-calibration that comes with it. AFAIK the '22's have the same CM2450 as the 19-21, but its the flash on it that's got the updated encryption locking it out. If I did end up PCM swapping it I'd be pretty ticked about getting it re-locked after the fact. If they are able to bench unlock '22 PCM's I wouldn't want to have to get it unlocked again just due to getting a recall taken care of.

For the rail pressure I've just been watching FRP-A vs FRP-C comparing what the EZX is doing to the FRP-A result back from the sensor. In the lower levels I haven't really seen it trying to add much at higher rail pressures, but when you get on it from a stop or low speed it does seem to add some fuel earlier. Being completely honest I'm not a fan of box tuners, but they can have their place if you don't just jump to the max setting and not watch gauges. I don't have the version of the banks guages that datalog and I've slept since the last time I watched it closely, but I didn't see anything that really concerned me about the pressure bump the way I use the truck.

If the truck was gonna have parts fall off then I wouldn't give a damn about the missing DPF sensor and it would already be tuned via a PCM swap. That said I'm aiming to keep it emissions compliant as long as I can since I don't put a ton of miles on it and when I do put miles on it it's usually a driving style that's friendly to the emissions bits - I haven't had a single active regen that wasn't the 24 hr one yet.
Mine regens every 7 days, roughy 400 to 500 miles. I burn a 2.5gal keg of def every 6 weeks, and Chrysler calls it normal, a little excessive but within sepc.
Y’all may know this, may not, didn’t find out till the nephews had emission problems. The standard 100,000 mile warranty doesn’t cover the emissions at all. Emission warranty isn’t but 50,000 miles

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Mine regens every 7 days, roughy 400 to 500 miles. I burn a 2.5gal keg of def every 6 weeks, and Chrysler calls it normal, a little excessive but within sepc.
Y’all may know this, may not, didn’t find out till the nephews had emission problems. The standard 100,000 mile warranty doesn’t cover the emissions at all. Emission warranty isn’t but 50,000 miles
Mine can be a bit DEF thirsty, but I’ve noticed that it doesn’t command nearly as much EGR as the older trucks. If that’s the trade off for it not to eat it’s own filth when being emissions compliant I’ll take it even though I hate dealing with DEF. I do also agree that the short emissions warranty is complete BS. Also for those claiming we should all run to gas instead of finding other ways to keep our equipment working there's a problem with that ... GPF's do exist and they're already being mandated in the EU, it's only a matter of time before they make it to this side of the Atlantic. If you look at DTC's for GPF equipped stuff it's gonna have the same problems we got going on...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
There was a new update I got today, but I wasn't able to install it until after I got back from taking the family about 100 miles round trip. It seems to be "better", more composed I'd say. Also they allow you to disable throttle boosting so it stacks better with my pedal monster - I found I like the pedal monster much better for the low speed trim you can setup over the pedal boosting from the EZX in everyday driving.

I'll try to take it out some tomorrow, if not this weekend, to see if higher power levels no longer trip the EGR code like the Banks CAI does as well as see if I notice any different datapoints such as EGT or reported boost.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Looks like the update lowered the modified signal to the PCM MAP sensor input on the higher levels so it's getting more air which is backed up by slightly lower EGTs going up a hill with my foot in it (Maybe 50-75 degrees). Seems to pull harder on level 5 more consistently fooling around on some back roads and it didn't throw the EGR code again, but time will tell on that. On level 3, where I typically keep it, it seemed to be about the same. Biggest thing out of the update for me is the increased adjust-ability of the pedal booster to totally disable it and let my pedal monster do all the pedal boosting again. The pedal monster just seems to do it better for drivability under all conditions as that low speed trim and the reverse mode are very helpful when maneuvering into tight spaces.

Also to note I have the pedal monster before the EZX pedal T as I figured it was also using the pedal position as one of its parameters, but who knows if its that "intelligent".

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
So you have the peddle monster in the port first and the edge after?

I just installed with the cts3. On power 3 I notice a sizeable difference in pedal response and power on the low end from zero. No more lag at all which when I first got the truck really pissed me off. Will report back after a few hundred miles on mpg but after a week I’m at 15.5 on 37.5x13.5s with a 3.5” lift. I also have a ****ing sail on the top that includes a hard top tent and lightbar/rack

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score

I just installed with the cts3. On power 3 I notice a sizeable difference in pedal response and power on the low end from zero. No more lag at all which when I first got the truck really pissed me off. Will report back after a few hundred miles on mpg but after a week I’m at 15.5 on 37.5x13.5s with a 3.5” lift. I also have a ****ing sail on the top that includes a hard top tent and lightbar/rack
I’ve got the pedal monster before the EZX yea. I never cared for how the EZX boosted pedal sensitivity as the banks has backup mode, but I have not tried it in a while. Pulling about 10k over the 4th weekend on level 3 I couldn’t get it above 1k EGT1 going up a 15% grade at 70 so I’d say it’s not overly aggressive.

Enve46

Reaction score
I sold the unit and the truck shortly after buying it. Now in a 2019 so don't need this box tuner. I was intrigued to buy it and install however.

hookedup2407

Reaction score

Any updates after a few more weeks of use?

flashman252

Reaction score
@joshuaeb09 as mentioned in another post, I have the pedal monster here tomorrow. Plan on installing it this weekend. I looked at the Edge EZX, but really all I am trying to get out of my truck is less pedal lag. I dont think I really want/need all the other stuff the EZX comes with. What is the main advantage for having both on the truck? I have a 40 mi round trip daily to work, not much stop and go, and I travel 300-600 mi damn near every weekend to get a line wet or shoot a duck. So I have never had issues with regens or DPF. What was your reason for getting both systems?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
@joshuaeb09 as mentioned in another post, I have the pedal monster here tomorrow. Plan on installing it this weekend. I looked at the Edge EZX, but really all I am trying to get out of my truck is less pedal lag. I dont think I really want/need all the other stuff the EZX comes with. What is the main advantage for having both on the truck? I have a 40 mi round trip daily to work, not much stop and go, and I travel 300-600 mi damn near every weekend to get a line wet or shoot a duck. So I have never had issues with regens or DPF. What was your reason for getting both systems?

I had the pedal monster already and compared to other pedal boosters/adjusters I've used on other vehicles I really do like its adjust-ability as well as other features like reverse mode (pedal back to stock when backing up). It helps a lot with the pedal on these trucks and if that's all you're after then I'd say only go that route. I ended up buying the EZX for a little more power and to play around with since tuning for '22s is still a meh situation. I was going to play with the derringer since it can plug into the Pedal Monster as an extension of the banks canbus system(I also have some iDash gauges), but as it has been "coming soon" for an eternity I gave up on that route lol. I have also played with the pedal boosting in the EZX, but I just don't like it compared to the pedal monster. This being the case I have the EZX setup to leave the pedal stock and handle pedal adjustments via the pedal monster. So far as power I run the truck on lvl 3 which has given me a small increase in hwy mpg, a bit more get up and go, and doesn't seem to adversely affecting anything other than mildly increased DEF consumption.

The other features of the EZX are going to be achievable through AlfaOBD like disabling the foglight dropout, changing tire size/gear ratio, and enabling the current gear display in the instrument cluster. I had already done all of these things via AlfaOBD so I'm only using it as a box tuner adding a little bit of power.

Eventually once tuning is in a better place for the '22s I'll be ripping the EZX out and going with proper SOTF tuning. I've been talking to a few folks who work with some folks that are actively working on being able to bench flash a '22 PCM so that we don't have to do a PCM swap. Once that process is worked out I'll get some SOTF tuning for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread