Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dually tire pressure

Lunge Motorsport

Reaction score
Greetings
I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading through the posts so far. I am a new owner of a 2020 3500 DRW but have owned a Ram dually in the past so have a little background to reference. My post today concerns empty tire pressure setting on my new truck and the procedure I have used on all my vehicles since the 80's to obtain the desired pressure. My experience was formed by setting up the chassis on an old BMW road race car back in the day. I use a digital laser thermometer that I also use for checking temps over a wide variety of applications. My truck is a heavily optioned Laramie Night Edition Cummins with air suspension, this is a completely stock truck with 500 miles. I will recheck after 1000 miles to see if there is any change due to break in of the suspension components.
Basically I run the vehicle for about 15 miles at highway speed until I achieve a stable tire temp, I choose a flat and straight road to avoid outer tire edge temp increase due to cornering. Prior to the testing I prepare a chart that I can record temps of all the tires in their proper location on the vehicle and across the tread of the tire in 3 locations inside, middle, and outside. I set and record the outside air temp and starting tire pressures prior to the start. After the tires reach temperature I will pull over to a safe location and log all the temps for analysis. My goal is to achieve equal tire temps across the tread of all tires. Starting pressure was measured with outside temperature at 53 deg F, front tires set to 75 cold, inside rear tires set at 55 and outside rears set at 50. I knew from my last DRW pick up that the inside rear tires loaded heavier than the outside so I started with a 5 psi differential. My ending pressures were still 75 psi on the fronts and the rears were 40/45 respectively outside and inside...I was never able to achieve an absolute even temp across the front tires but was looking for consistent, repeatable numbers, camber and toe settings are a strong influence on the tires. I was able to get good solid and even temps across the rears.
I have not yet had the opportunity to check loaded pressures but will record and report for those interested.
I welcome any comments.

Cheers

jeffn

Reaction score
I just fill mine up to the door sticker and forget about it.

With solid axles, the camber is not adjustable. Toe angle is a subject of debate.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I gotta admit. That is one hell of a way of determining tire pressures. LOL Gonna be a bit of a pain to do that with a load on it. Hope you are not pulling a fiver. BTW I have also noticed the inner dual runs a bit hotter but attributed it to less airflow over the tire.

jeffn

Reaction score
to give OP credit, that is exactly how I adjust pressure on my race car at the track. Hot lap, temperature gun the outside, center, inside zones on the tires. Adjust pressure, repeat until you get that temp the same across the entire surface of the tire.

I just wouldn’t bother doing this on my truck or everyday cars. Tire pressure will change with altitude and ambient temperature, in addition to how you are driving. Getting it just right will only be just right until conditions change. But if someone wants to go through all that effort, I won’t be one to criticize the pursuit of perfection.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You have way to much pressure up front there is a tire placecard for a reason, 60 front and 50 rear loaded is a great setup for a stock dually

Jerrybs

Reaction score
So the door sticker sez front 80 and rear dually’s- 65 see any problems with this?
I tow a large 5 th wheel.

Jerrybs

Reaction score
Oh forgot the pressure on the tires is 80?
I have 16 k miles no problems and before towing I set the pressure to 80 on all 6 tires.
Even the inside dually tires that are a hassle with the funky rubber stems.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oh forgot the pressure on the tires is 80?
I have 16 k miles no problems and before towing I set the pressure to 80 on all 6 tires.
Even the inside dually tires that are a hassle with the funky rubber stems.
Way to much unless you are over max payload

Users who are viewing this thread