Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drove a new Dually today.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I went to my local candy store today to look at some trucks. I've been having some health issues, bad knees and back, that have made increasingly difficult getting in and out of my truck. I made the statement several months ago that I thought this new 2500 was as tall as my old Power Wagon was and since I put the 35" tires on, it seems taller. It has become an issue.

So you may wonder why I don't use my side steps and enjoy the truck.....? Well, I'm 6'8" tall and with the combo of my height and an arthritic back, they are unuseable for me. I cannot bend my back enough to get inside the truck from the side step. I have been looking for a way to it easier to get in and out.

This got me to wondering how much, if any, was the floor height of a dually different from a SRW truck?

I went to the candy store and drove a new 3500, DRW Longhorn. It of course had all the bells and whistles including a console and sunroof. Each of these 2 items, by themselves, are a deal breaker to me......remember, I'm 6'8" tall. But I did manage to take a short test drive. The truck had the non HO engine, 68RFE, and 4.10 gears, which is the combo I'm interested in. As expected it drove well, had plenty of power, and was very quiet.

So, FWIW, here are my thoughts in no apparent order:

1. The adjustable pedals improve legroo and add a small amount of clearance. between my right knee and the rotary shifter bump on the dash. I know the diesel does not have the rotary shifter, but the bump is there. That bump is an irritant to me in my truck.

2. The console sucks for someone with long legs. You already know this if you are my size. and have tried one...

3. I really like the 12" screen, but probably would not buy one due to cost....but I really like it!

4. The climate control worked great, once I figured out how to turn it on. This learning process really should take place on the lot rather than negotiating 4 lanes of city traffic!

5. I sat in a Laramie with a bench seat and no sunroof. This combo is much more like my truck, but with power seat and adjustable pedals. I have more room in this truck than mine and it will probably be what I look for over the next few months.

6. As I stated earlier, the diesel seems to have very smooth power and would pull our 19,000# trailer well. But for a DD, I still prefer a gas engine. I've been driving them for years and that's what I like. That being said, this Cummins would be 'da bomb for towing heavy.

To sum up, I'll probably continue to drive my present gasser until spring, but the start looking for a replacement.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Too bad a 1500 wouldn't work for you. The air suspension makes the truck squat down like an elephant so you can get on.

Is the dually easier for entry?

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad a 1500 wouldn't work for you. The air suspension makes the truck squat down like an elephant so you can get on.

Is the dually easier for entry?

Much easier. We are not towing our 5th wheel right now, and that's another story, so the dually also more fits those needs.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I hear you with the knee and leg room, and I'm only 6'2". I find my right knee hits the dash more but I feel id be too far back if I moved the seat anymore

The one thing I kind of miss from my old 1500 Laramie was the easy entry/ exit from the seat automatically moving back when you shut the engine off.

1st world problems....

AndyS

Reaction score
6'7" here. Yep no full console for me, gotta go with the bench. I have the rotary knob for shifting, it's no big deal other than getting used to using it. I keep reaching for the traditional stalk. Lol. I have way more headroom than I had in my 2011 1500 or 2000 2500. Legroom is also a bit better too. The truck sits a bit higher due to the off-road package so I added Luverne running boards so my wife could get into the truck easier. I find myself using them too. Love the truck so far!

TexMarQue

Reaction score
The one thing I kind of miss from my old 1500 Laramie was the easy entry/ exit from the seat automatically moving back when you shut the engine off.
Not sure what trim level you have now, but my 19 2500 Laramie has the easy entry/exit. It’s buried in the settings, but it’s there.

ahhhr

Reaction score
@hutchman
I got my truck last week and was noticing today how easy it is to get in and out of the truck with the OEM retractable running boards.
Make me think of this thread. Not sure if you tried them...
I think I have the same 35"s you do

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
@hutchman
I got my truck last week and was noticing today how easy it is to get in and out of the truck with the OEM retractable running boards.
Make me think of this thread. Not sure if you tried them...
I think I have the same 35"s you do

I've had Amp steps on a couple of trucks and they are nice for my wife. However, I'm 6'8" and stepping on the Amp steps puts me too high. I can't get my back to bend enough to get through the door. My back is getting worse and it is harder than ever to find a vehicle that works.

Heckyl

Reaction score
I went to my local candy store today to look at some trucks. I've been having some health issues, bad knees and back, that have made increasingly difficult getting in and out of my truck. I made the statement several months ago that I thought this new 2500 was as tall as my old Power Wagon was and since I put the 35" tires on, it seems taller. It has become an issue.

So you may wonder why I don't use my side steps and enjoy the truck.....? Well, I'm 6'8" tall and with the combo of my height and an arthritic back, they are unuseable for me. I cannot bend my back enough to get inside the truck from the side step. I have been looking for a way to it easier to get in and out.

This got me to wondering how much, if any, was the floor height of a dually different from a SRW truck?

I went to the candy store and drove a new 3500, DRW Longhorn. It of course had all the bells and whistles including a console and sunroof. Each of these 2 items, by themselves, are a deal breaker to me......remember, I'm 6'8" tall. But I did manage to take a short test drive. The truck had the non HO engine, 68RFE, and 4.10 gears, which is the combo I'm interested in. As expected it drove well, had plenty of power, and was very quiet.

So, FWIW, here are my thoughts in no apparent order:

1. The adjustable pedals improve legroo and add a small amount of clearance. between my right knee and the rotary shifter bump on the dash. I know the diesel does not have the rotary shifter, but the bump is there. That bump is an irritant to me in my truck.

2. The console sucks for someone with long legs. You already know this if you are my size. and have tried one...

3. I really like the 12" screen, but probably would not buy one due to cost....but I really like it!

4. The climate control worked great, once I figured out how to turn it on. This learning process really should take place on the lot rather than negotiating 4 lanes of city traffic!

5. I sat in a Laramie with a bench seat and no sunroof. This combo is much more like my truck, but with power seat and adjustable pedals. I have more room in this truck than mine and it will probably be what I look for over the next few months.

6. As I stated earlier, the diesel seems to have very smooth power and would pull our 19,000# trailer well. But for a DD, I still prefer a gas engine. I've been driving them for years and that's what I like. That being said, this Cummins would be 'da bomb for towing heavy.

To sum up, I'll probably continue to drive my present gasser until spring, but the start looking for a replacement.

The shifter bump is what bothers me the most about my truck. I have adjusted the petals and seat and steering wheel angle to make it fine.... but a telescopic steering wheel would allow me to drive the seat back further to where my right knee is not hitting the bump.
I have talked about the height of the different trucks in another thread ( all SRW ). The 2500 rear spring trucks are the tallest, followed by the 3500 rear spring trucks, followed by the rear air suspension trucks. I did not measure any dually trucks. But for daily driver trucks, the dually was and is too wide for me. I am just the opposite from you in the fact that I like tall trucks with lots of rear rake. That’s why I added 1 inch blocks to the back of my 3500 rear spring truck to get it up to where the 2500s are.

Users who are viewing this thread