Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivetrain rubbing / grinding sensation at slow speed from launch

Snagster123

Reaction score
2020 Power Wagon (all stock) about 32K miles: I continue to have this problem only at slow speed 0 to 4 mph. it is like a rubbing sensation and significantly worse with the wheels turned left or right. Dealer can diagnose. So far they have replaced the rear diff carrier, and changed the fluid in the front diff. After the fluid change in the front diff the problem seems to be more pronounced. Dealer says since they cant diagnose there is nothing more they can do for me. I have had the truck in 5 different times for this problem since I purchased it back in Oct 2021, and at two different dealership service departments, Anyone else have a similar problem and how did you fix it or what was the problem?

techman

Reaction score
Do you have the rear locker option on your truck? That sounds like rear end locking up prematurely when turning. Not sure why the front diff oil change would make it more pronounced. You are in 2 wheel drive mode when this happens, correct?

1964PW

Reaction score
My 2020 does the same thing. I have not changed the diff fluids yet but the dealer did change the front passenger side wheel bearing after diagnosing it. No change.

Snagster123

Reaction score
Do you have the rear locker option on your truck? That sounds like rear end locking up prematurely when turning. Not sure why the front diff oil change would make it more pronounced. You are in 2 wheel drive mode when this happens, correct?
All power wagons have the rear diff locker (elocker) and also a front diff locker. when the front is not diff locked it is a positrack. Yes, in 2 wheel drive.

Snagster123

Reaction score
My 2020 does the same thing. I have not changed the diff fluids yet but the dealer did change the front passenger side wheel bearing after diagnosing it. No change.
yeah... it does not feel like a bearing.. it is more like a rubbing, brake grabbing, or something binding... feeling. diff clutch discs rubbing? Not sure but I am getting tired of Chrysler / Ram not being able to diagnose it. I am still under the drivetrain warranty but they simply can't diagnose the problem. They just want to give it back to me at this point.

jadmt

Reaction score
All power wagons have the rear diff locker (elocker) and also a front diff locker. when the front is not diff locked it is a positrack. Yes, in 2 wheel drive.
that is not correct. the front is an open diff when not locked. the rear however is a lsd when not locked..maybe that is what you meant to type. sounds like maybe you have a brake hanging up.

akguy09

Reaction score
@Snagster123 just because you are posting in the Powerwagon forum, we can't assume you have a PW unless its in your signature, many people with other types of Ram vehicles post in here unknowingly

Snagster123

Reaction score
sounds like maybe you have a brake hanging up.
Dealer said they checked the brakes and they are fine. I'm not so confident that they actually checked the whole system, as in pulled the calipers checked the pistons and slides...etc.

Snagster123

Reaction score
Thanks for the vid... that sounds very different from what I have going on. My issue has almost no noise.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dealer said they checked the brakes and they are fine. I'm not so confident that they actually checked the whole system, as in pulled the calipers checked the pistons and slides...etc.
You dont need to pull anything off of the brakes to check for a seized/stuck caliper just a small prybar and you can check for proper movement.

AMDPSU

Reaction score
Both my 2019 and 2022 PW have the same noise/vibration when taking a turn from a stop. It never got worse over time on the 2019 so once I felt it on the 2022 I figured it is just a quirk of the design.

1964PW

Reaction score
Do you have lane keep and radar cruise? Turn both off and see if it makes a difference. I have a right turn with a large hillside right off the side of the road. It also has a slight step to get up onto the main road. That corner is the only corner that it grinds on right hand turns.

AMDPSU

Reaction score
Do you have lane keep and radar cruise? Turn both off and see if it makes a difference. I have a right turn with a large hillside right off the side of the road. It also has a slight step to get up onto the main road. That corner is the only corner that it grinds on right hand turns.
Neither of my trucks had/had lane keep assist or adaptive cruise.

On my trucks, the feeling is there on a level surface at any degree of wheel input.

It is worth nothing that the 19 did not have adaptive steering and the 22 does so that is not a variable in this equation.

Snagster123

Reaction score
My truck has a lot of options.. Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Hill Decent, Collision Avoidance. They are all turned off though. Perhaps there is flaw in the software that is slightly activating the brakes at low speeds? Or maybe a valve that is not working right in the braking system the lets pressure bleed off from the brake lines? Not sure at this point, but the truck is still with the dealer (three weeks now) and no fixes at all. They opened a star case, and have been talking with RAM master techs. They said something about getting some measurements on the tires.

1964PW

Reaction score
I bought my truck at 7k miles. Had the issue then with stock tires/rims. Put new 35" on around 45k with stock rims and no change. I'm at 50k now with different rims. I also have Nokian winter tires in the stock size and still had the issue. I think I'd be throwing a BS flag on the tires.

1964PW

Reaction score
I did change my pads and rotors at 45k to pass an inspection as they had rust and a ridge around the outer diameter. It was maybe a little odd to have that ridge that pronounced at that time but I'm pretty hard on brakes.

Snagster123

Reaction score
I bought my truck at 7k miles. Had the issue then with stock tires/rims. Put new 35" on around 45k with stock rims and no change. I'm at 50k now with different rims. I also have Nokian winter tires in the stock size and still had the issue. I think I'd be throwing a BS flag on the tires.
yeah.. i dont think its the tires either... but what master techs want they get...

Snagster123

Reaction score
I did change my pads and rotors at 45k to pass an inspection as they had rust and a ridge around the outer diameter. It was maybe a little odd to have that ridge that pronounced at that time but I'm pretty hard on brakes.
I'm leaning more towards the electronics on the truck activating the brakes or there must be a master brake control valve/mechanism hooked into the computer that may not be functioning correctly.... ???

Users who are viewing this thread