Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivers A-pillar rain water leak.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
My truck was financed through Chrysler capital, which is owned by FCA and all subdivisions. So in my opinion RAM owns my vehicle until I pay it off. I do understand your statement in reference to financing. Hopefully I get some answers this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Hello,
Just an update on my truck, still waiting for the RAM engineers to contact the dealership. It’s hard to get things done over the holidays. The truck is in pieces at the dealership. Going on week 4 at the dealership and no progress and no answers yet. But they will be asking for my payment.

Hello All,
I have an update on my 3500 Ram limited. After filing a claim with Ram Care last week they started to ball rolling a little faster. After conversations with the dealer and Ram care it was decided that the sunroof frame can not be repaired and since it’s part of the actual roof panel, they have now transported the truck to a body shop to replace the roof and all supports and sunroof frame. Major work for a water leak is now being preformed. This situation has caused me some real concerns since they are removing the largest body panel on the truck that provides the most body structural support. I can only hope the job is completed with 100 present satisfaction. Very concerned about body rattles and Interior rattles when completed. This is my 4th Ram truck and obviously the most expensive. We will see what the future brings over the next 2 to 3 weeks of additional labor repairs. Either way Ram needs to look into making this particular body part more robust because it’s obvious that there metal work has become too weak and susceptible to warpage and excessive metal flex
due to metal thickness issues.

Last edited:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Hell All,
I have an update on my 3500 Ram limited. After filing a claim with Ram Care last week they started to ball rolling a little faster. After conversations with the dealer and Ram care it was decided that the sunroof frame can not be repaired and since it’s part of the actual roof panel, they have now transported the truck to a body shop to replace the roof and all supports and sunroof frame. Major work for a water leak is now being preformed. This situation has caused me some real concerns since they are removing the largest body panel on the truck that provides the most body structural support. I can only hope the job is completed with 100 present satisfaction. Very concerned about body rattles and Interior rattles when completed. This is my 4th Ram truck and obviously the most expensive. We will see what the future brings over the next 2 to 3 weeks of additional labor repairs. Either way Ram needs to look into making this particular body part more robust because it’s obvious that there metal work has become too weak and susceptible to warpage and excessive metal flex

Boy am I glad I haven’t bought a new truck. FCA needs to pull head outta their kiester!

Snaps3500

Reaction score
This truck was a huge decision I had to make. To purchase an item this expensive and not be a actual piece of real estate where I could actually maintain positive value. I purchased this truck as a retirement gift to myself for future traveling plans pulling my RV. I am hopeful things a will end in a positive matter, however I probably will not spend this amount of money again for a new vehicle that should not have this major of a problem based on poor engineering and material defect issue. Simply not acceptable in my opinion. This goes for any manufacture, put your money where it should go, into the product and not into pockets.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Right there with ya Snaps....after all the bs with dealers, I made the decision to forego a purchase another year and remain active in real estate game. My 17 just hit 19k with zero issues and I like it so onward with my new project refurb. Trucks are not investments but mere expenses. When I fully retire(who knows when, these days) I will treat myself......to something new, whether new to me or new off factory floor.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Right there with ya Snaps....after all the bs with dealers, I made the decision to forego a purchase another year and remain active in real estate game. My 17 just hit 19k with zero issues and I like it so onward with my new project refurb. Trucks are not investments but mere expenses. When I fully retire(who knows when, these days) I will treat myself......to something new, whether new to me or new off factory floor.

2017 w/ 19K for me would still be a new truck with the way I hold on to my vehicles..... LOL

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
2017 w/ 19K for me would still be a new truck with the way I hold on to my vehicles..... LOL
That’s me......usually. I have an 01 3500 with 250k, 09 ranger with 115k(traded a 1994 with 290k in on it). I usually strive to roll em over twice if not problematic.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Hell All,

UPDATE...
I visited the body shop my truck is at. Independent, not the dealership. Very nice company and staff. I actually spoke to the technician who is working on the truck and he provided the following process. Good news. The roof panel does NOT need replaced ,however the panel is slightly out of shape where the sunroof meets the roof panel. He indicated that the roof panel really needs additional metal support panels/posts, which he is going to install to stiffen up the roof so the roof panel does not flex like it is doing now. The sunroof frame is NOT part of the roof panel as the dealership told me. It is a separate piece of framing that is complete with the motor assembly. 4 nuts , one electric connection and 4 drain tubes that need to be disconnected and the entire system is out. To work on the system the headliner had to come out, which includes the windshield so you can take out the headliner. This however means the windshield needs replaced due to it cracking while removing. . Hopefully it will be repaired and completed by next week. Will keep you posted.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
UPDATE...
I visited the body shop my truck is at. Independent, not the dealership. Very nice company and staff. I actually spoke to the technician who is working on the truck and he provided the following process. Good news. The roof panel does NOT need replaced ,however the panel is slightly out of shape where the sunroof meets the roof panel. He indicated that the roof panel really needs additional metal support panels/posts, which he is going to install to stiffen up the roof so the roof panel does not flex like it is doing now. The sunroof frame is NOT part of the roof panel as the dealership told me. It is a separate piece of framing that is complete with the motor assembly. 4 nuts , one electric connection and 4 drain tubes that need to be disconnected and the entire system is out. To work on the system the headliner had to come out, which includes the windshield so you can take out the headliner. This however means the windshield needs replaced due to it cracking while removing. . Hopefully it will be repaired and completed by next week. Will keep you posted.

All the more reason I opt out of sunroofs. I have had cars with them, still do, but I hardly use them.

Last edited:

Snaps3500

Reaction score
I agree, first vehicle I ever had with a sunroof , never wanted on for this very reason. But I did not have a choice when the rebates and 0% financing was offered. I traveled several hundred miles to get it because availability was running out fast.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Wow Snaps, that is a bunch of work that is needed to fix your leak. I hope that all goes well for you! Luckily my fix was way less of a pain to do in order to stop my leak but it has been taken care of. No more leaks for me.

rsday75

Reaction score
Wow, I had the leak in the A pillar handle. Dealer said there was a TSB for the sunroof and replaced it......still leaked....
I had mentioned to the dealer there was fog in a couple of the cab lights.....they listened the second time and replaced those. No leak since.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Wow, I had the leak in the A pillar handle. Dealer said there was a TSB for the sunroof and replaced it......still leaked....
I had mentioned to the dealer there was fog in a couple of the cab lights.....they listened the second time and replaced those. No leak since.
The cab lights on my truck is where my water leak was. It wasn't that hard to figure out with all the condensation in some of the lights. I fixed mine myself. No leaks since and I have a sunroof. No way would I have taken it back to the dealer as I have no faith in these so called technicians today.

Pronto

Reaction score
The cab lights on my truck is where my water leak was. It wasn't that hard to figure out with all the condensation in some of the lights. I fixed mine myself. No leaks since and I have a sunroof. No way would I have taken it back to the dealer as I have no faith in these so called technicians today.

What did you do to fix it? I'm debating whether I should take preventative measures on mine.

Desertduler

Reaction score
What did you do to fix it? I'm debating whether I should take preventative measures on mine.
I carefully removed all of my cab lights and I dried out the cab lights using a hand held hair dryer and I cleaned the cab light gaskets and the roof area where the cab lights mount with a rag and then I applied a thin amount of RTV silicone to the gaskets one at a time and reinstalled them. I also added a small amount of RTV silicone to the base of the heads of the mounting screws because there is a very small sealing gasket located there and I just wanted to make sure that the screws were sealed so no water would enter there too. I have blasted all of that area with a pressure wand at the car wash in order to double check that I indeed had repaired the leak and I have no more leaks. I have pressure washed my truck many times since the repair and still no leak. The first time I discovered my leak was after I had washed my truck at the car wash and I was cleaning around the cab lights and roof area and when I got back in my truck to move it I saw water streaming down the pillar handle on to the floor.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Final Update
After 2 months of my truck being at the dealership for the leaking sunroof issue, I finally got it back. I was satisfied with the completion and the work that was performed. The final assembly of the interior panels and fit were performed very well and I could not tell they were even removed. If anyone else experiences this type of problem I would recommend that the vehicle be taken to a body shop to be repaired. I believe the repairs would have been completed sooner. I think a mechanic with limited experience with body panels and issues like this my be better served working on mechanical repairs instead. The body shop straightened the roof panel and attached a material that was a solid rubber and foil backing that they used to stiffen the roof panel to prevent any future metal flex. The roof panel was not replaced and the roof did not have to be repainted after “flexing” the roof back to original shape. The sunroof frame and motor assembly were replaced due to the frame and sunroof attachments that were damaged. So glad I got everything finalized and back in my possession.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Well, as the original poster, I am back to say that I pulled the truck out of winter storage and last weekend we had a really wet weekend.... the leak is still there. I had water once more coming in to the drivers side grab handle on the A-Pillar. I think at this point that I will forgo the dealership and remove and seal the roof clearance lights myself. At least then I'll know that the job is done correctly and with care. My truck is a garage queen, so it sits in the climate controlled shop most of its life unless I have a trailer pulling need or if I just want to drive it.

Last year I took it in and had the dealership do work on the truck for this leak and they did some TSB updates to the sunroof that were supposed to address this issue. That was not my issue from what I am seeing. After they worked on it, I didn;t really have it exposed to rain much, and this issue only makes itself visible when you get rain that is fairly steady over a few hours or more. Since the truck stays inside most of the time and is locked away all winter, it never reappeared until now. I know my sunroof drainage is fine since I do not let the truck sit out or get dirty. So I will attack the stupid lights and if that doesn't fix it... I guess I will have to go back to the dealer for additional help. I don't think anything else could cause this though......

Desertduler

Reaction score
Well, as the original poster, I am back to say that I pulled the truck out of winter storage and last weekend we had a really wet weekend.... the leak is still there. I had water once more coming in to the drivers side grab handle on the A-Pillar. I think at this point that I will forgo the dealership and remove and seal the roof clearance lights myself. At least then I'll know that the job is done correctly and with care. My truck is a garage queen, so it sits in the climate controlled shop most of its life unless I have a trailer pulling need or if I just want to drive it.

Last year I took it in and had the dealership do work on the truck for this leak and they did some TSB updates to the sunroof that were supposed to address this issue. That was not my issue from what I am seeing. After they worked on it, I didn;t really have it exposed to rain much, and this issue only makes itself visible when you get rain that is fairly steady over a few hours or more. Since the truck stays inside most of the time and is locked away all winter, it never reappeared until now. I know my sunroof drainage is fine since I do not let the truck sit out or get dirty. So I will attack the stupid lights and if that doesn't fix it... I guess I will have to go back to the dealer for additional help. I don't think anything else could cause this though......
That is exactly why I chose to find and fix the leak myself. I have no faith in the dealership to repair such a simple problem as most of the technicians don't take the time to diagnose the problem correctly! They spend most of their time messing around with their cell phones! I have not had any more water enter my cab since I sealed my cab lights and I just repaired a wind leak at the passenger side lower rear window that I most certainly would have not taken it back to the dealer so that they could rip my truck all apart, molest it and not fix the problem. I know how the job was done because I did it myself. I care about my truck, they do not!

CdnHO

Reaction score
The roof lights on my 2003 leaked down the A pillar on the passenger side. Dealership replaced the lights. Still leaked. I took them all off and sealed the gaskets and screws with silicone. Fixed. Will probably end up doing the same thing with the new one on order. FCA hasn't learned much in 18 years. Most of the trucks for the big three have sun roof issues. Main reason I left that option OUT of the new one.

Lary0071

Reaction score
This was what I had this past weekend when I had the truck out in the driveway during the hours of rain.
2281e3b99cf7c7b686024a73f9189be3.jpg
613e1cf948a9fc48635bfb92ef80691c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread