Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drag Link

jetrinka

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else’s trucks drag link does this. My entire drag link tends to roll towards the front of the vehicle under its axis. Neither the inner or outer part of the drag link are out of alignment with each other and when I orient the pitman side perfectly straight up and down the outer link also looks perfectly straight up and down so it’s not twisted. I have marked the drag link and ensured it is not “adjusting” itself.

I am likely describing a non issue but just curious if anyone else has noticed this with theirs.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If you’re describing what I think you’re describing.. TRE rolling is what I’m picturing… it’s totally normal and extremely common. It happens because of the bend/curve in the TRE. It’s not loaded in a straight axis. It has the bend in it to clear bracketry on the axle, most likely.

Some fixes in the jeep world include replacing the dust boot on the TRE with a spacer made of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene to try and curb the roll. But their drag link connects to their tie rod, so it rolls the tie rod when it occurs which creates a dead spot where the steering input is just rolling the tie rod and not moving it left to right

Our drag link connects to the knuckle with a wheel to wheel tie rod so no problem with the TRE rolling. So, no need for a fix on our trucks, imo

Edit: here’s an old pic of my truck i found on my phone with an arrow to the bend in the drag link
23381499-5B64-43F8-987F-CE6B82EC582A.jpeg

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yup that is what I am describing - a forward roll on the drag link. I can set it straight on both ends, drive the truck and it’s rolled again. Glad to hear it’s common and a non issue. I thought the same about the bend on the outer drag link coupled with the fact that the pitman angles slightly that would make the weight of the drag link want to roll forward.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If desired, I can set up a camera and video mine to see if it rolls. I haven’t paid attention to its spatial orientation but I’m pretty sure it would roll as well.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Well if it is like mine it would roll forward and just stay there. Never seems to roll back. In fact in that picture you posted earlier it appears it has rolled forward if my eyes aren’t deceiving me.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I would think it would roll down (top toward the front) when turning right and roll back up when turning left. Because the drag link pushes the passenger knuckle and then pulls it back

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've never watched mine in real time. All I know is I can orient it so each drag link ball stud is perfectly straight off its base (up and down) and by the time Im done driving home from work (10 miles) the whole thing has rolled forward. I believe that since it doesn't intersect the tie rod like a jeep, gravity just takes over and with the combined weight of the "hoop" on the front side of the outer link and the upward angle of the pitman arm it just tends to roll forward.

Keep in mind I am not thinking this is a problem at all - just a byproduct how how the steering linkage is designed. Was more just curious as to why and how is all. My steering feels fine, doesn't make any noises and is always straight and true to the road I'm on.

Users who are viewing this thread