Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyones 8.4 reboot for no reason or get stuck on "waiting for connection"?

snayte

Reaction score
Same here. Same resetting/blue/frozen screen issues. It’s getting frustrating.
I have a 2019 Wrangler Sahara with the 8.4 and it does the same thing. Have about 6 months left on the warranty then I guess it is my problem.

60_Driver

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Wrangler Sahara with the 8.4 and it does the same thing. Have about 6 months left on the warranty then I guess it is my problem.

The other day I plugged my iPhone 12 in with the usb-c cable & got the “device not supported” message. Odd. The phone works fine and is running the most current software.

60_Driver

Reaction score

Snayte, quick update. I brought my truck to a dealership for an oil change/tire rotation and mentioned the freeze/reboot issue to the advisor. I emailed the shop manager two pictures and a short video of the frozen screen.

I was mowing my lawn and got a text a few hours later asking for my permission to have them replace the 8.4 radio for free under warranty. No questions asked. I’m tentatively impressed with this situation. I’ll let you know what happens next…

snayte

Reaction score
Snayte, quick update. I brought my truck to a dealership for an oil change/tire rotation and mentioned the freeze/reboot issue to the advisor. I emailed the shop manager two pictures and a short video of the frozen screen.

I was mowing my lawn and got a text a few hours later asking for my permission to have them replace the 8.4 radio for free under warranty. No questions asked. I’m tentatively impressed with this situation. I’ll let you know what happens next…
Good to hear. I will have to try an push them a little harder.

60_Driver

Reaction score
Good to hear. I will have to try an push them a little harder.
Install day update: big old fail.

I went to the dealer this morn for the one hour warranty radio swap. When they gave me the truck back Apple CarPlay didn’t work at all and I had a cool new dancing squiggly light present in my backup camera. I navigated my way to the dealership using CarPlay with the oem usb-c lightning cable and it worked fine. iPhone 12 is on the current iOS.

I walked back in and spoke with the service advisor. We tested a regular usb - lightning cord and it didn’t work either. She apologized and said she’d order a new replacement radio. Not her fault, but it’s frustrating to say the least. To her credit, she agreed to have the dealership pay to fix the door ding my truck inherited when it was there for an oil change a few weeks ago.

I love my truck overall but this consistently subpar quality of the 8.4 Uconnect concerns me. I don’t imagine it’ll get more reliable with age… Fingers crossed that the 3rd one will work as advertised!

60_Driver

Reaction score
7 weeks later & I haven’t heard back from the dealer. Supply chain problems, I’m sure. Weirdly, the CarPlay function of the Uconnect started working again randomly 2 weeks ago. I’ll probably still elect to have them replace it with a new one since it wasn’t working as advertised for a month.

Grayson

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck yesterday. Screen is wavy and so dark I can't see it. Pretty disappointed after almost a 6 month wait. I have 70 miles on it

60_Driver

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck yesterday. Screen is wavy and so dark I can't see it. Pretty disappointed after almost a 6 month wait. I have 70 miles on it

I’d lose my mind. It sounds like the 8.4 issues are not so few & far between.

Ed95pont

Reaction score
My 8.4 sucks. I added mine. Stock was the little 5 inch. It random reboots when ever you use android auto. When it does it drops the Bluetooth connection and you must re-pair. This is the non nav version The same phones work fine in my wife's grand cherokee. They also wok in the new Uconnect wide screen in a Pacifica we have at work. It works fine on carplay or when I do not plug in an android phone. Of course when not plugged in I have no Android auto which I like. I spent hours searching vins and using the Uconnect software search tool. Everyone comes back up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread