Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do my wheels need to be rebalanced at each rotation?

dm6

Reaction score
I was just going to rotate my tires myself for the first time because I don't want to deal with bringing it in, and worrying about someone messing it up or scratching my wheels, but was wondering about the balancing. I never thought about that but I guess they check that when a shop does rotations. Do I need to worry about that and just have a shop rotate them, or do I just need to worry about rebalancing if there is a vibration I notice and go ahead and rotate myself since everything seems fine?

Darkone

Reaction score
I think most shops just rotate they don’t check the tire balance. Unless the owner says something about a vibration.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Have balance beads put in the tires and never worry about balancing again. :cool:
Then all you have to do is rotate every 5K miles.

While a lot of people dont balance, or even rotate, you will keep a good ride and tire wear if you do.

I didnt think it necessary either. Till I got a bad vibration in my sports car. Was told to vet the tires balanced and rotated. Seemed to show up again about 5K miles. So I did it again and cured the problem.
Been a believer ever since.
And balance beads came from the trucking industry. As many miles as they drive, I'm sure they do it for a good reason. ;)

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I was just going to rotate my tires myself for the first time because I don't want to deal with bringing it in, and worrying about someone messing it up or scratching my wheels, but was wondering about the balancing. I never thought about that but I guess they check that when a shop does rotations. Do I need to worry about that and just have a shop rotate them, or do I just need to worry about rebalancing if there is a vibration I notice and go ahead and rotate myself since everything seems fine?
Place I bought new tires for the wife's car does free balance/rotation, I plan on going there every other rotation to see if they need balancing or not.

Users who are viewing this thread