Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling tailgate lock

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how to disable the locking tailgate feature on my new 21 ram?
not looking for solutions in my daily habits. would like to disable the tailgate from locking up when I lock the truck.
I already attempted by unplugging The harness with no success all this does is disable electrical switch from allowing you to open the tailgate. I’m sure this isn’t a big deal for most, I work out of my truck and tailgate needs to be opened and closed many times throughout the day while the truck remains locked.

Last edited:

@JC

Reaction score
Keep your key in your pocket, opening the tailgate with the handle doesn't unlock the doors.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
When the doors are locked the tailgate is locked that is the problem here.
I’m guessing you don’t have passive entry equipped on your truck? What @JC was referring to is how the passive entry system works- you keep your fob in your pocket, and when you get close enough to the tailgate antenna, the tailgate handle will be ready to release the latches without unlocking the rest of the truck.
Otherwise, there is no way to accomplish what you are trying to do without changing your habits.
It’s fairly simple and cheap to add the factory passive entry feature to a truck that wasn’t equipped with it.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Nope I ordered the bare-bones package hoping to stay away from all the electronica gizmos but yet they still gave me a locking tailgate. It’s pretty aggravating having to pull my keys out of my pocket just to get into my bed and then have to remember to lock it again too secure the cab of the truck while my hands are full of tools. We are constantly in and out of the bed of the truck at our jobs.

Last edited:

rickyg811

Reaction score
Try manually locking the cab doors when you exit the truck. Tailgate should still be unlocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you are going to keep the tailgate unlocked why not just leave it down or keep the truck unlocked…

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Lol I do live two hours from the border if I leave my tailgate down it will be gone along with my tools.

Squatch

Reaction score
Did they change the tailgate with the 4th to 4.5 conversion? When was the last time they had a regular latch on these trucks and not a button?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did they change the tailgate with the 4th to 4.5 conversion? When was the last time they had a regular latch on these trucks and not a button?
2018 was a latch i thought the hinges were different though

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hoping you could just snag a junk yard tailgate and just put it on there.
A pre-2019 tailgate swap would be quite a bit of messing around. The current camera won’t mount correctly in the old tailgate handle, as it’s bigger than the previous analog camera. Different circuits need to be run to the BCM, and AlfaOBD will need to be used to enable the secondary lock/unlock drivers, and disable the tailgate handle switch sense and latch release driver. Then, the passenger side hinge mount on the tailgate will need to be drilled out and re-tacked because the gender is reversed between the two tailgates. D0E2C6BF-40EC-4C04-AB40-175883644B90.jpeg5EF54725-3D07-41D5-AD35-03AB1DFDFB2C.jpeg

Squatch

Reaction score
A pre-2019 tailgate swap would be quite a bit of messing around. The current camera won’t mount correctly in the old tailgate handle, as it’s bigger than the previous analog camera. Different circuits need to be run to the BCM, and AlfaOBD will need to be used to enable the secondary lock/unlock drivers, and disable the tailgate handle switch sense and latch release driver. Then, the passenger side hinge mount on the tailgate will need to be drilled out and re-tacked because the gender is reversed between the two tailgates. View attachment 19630View attachment 19631
You’re a machine man! Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread