Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

spib

Reaction score
My truck has about 8000 miles now. I think the guage showed a little like about 15% when I first got it, not sure though. I never saw it above 0% again, until today. It started out at like 10%, and after a long slow trailer turn around, went up some more. This could be due to my driving habits changing. I had not been using the truck around town until the past few weeks, before that almost all highway travel.

So I had some doubt that the gauge ever showed above zero, until today.

mruysch

Reaction score
Mine gose up and down quite frequently

Attachments

• 20220628_111754.jpg
    20220628_111754.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210420_152828.jpg
    20210420_152828.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 52

Will_T

Reaction score
Just an update to my last post on this kind of confusing topic. As I noted last week in post #55, my evic DPF screen showed something more than 0% for the first time recently when it jumped to about 25%. Then after towing our TT about 40 miles it was back to zero again. So, the towing must have done that. However, the two DPF related parameters shown in the attached photo of my Banks iDash at startup did not change in the same way:

The PM1% (particulate matter%?) has never left zero, even when the evic DPF went to 25%. So not sure what that is reading?? If it never changes, I guess I will take it off the display as it is useless. Unless it is sensing something that should always be at zero% in which case I will leave it. I think I have asked about that parameter before but I don't recall anyone saying definitly what it is. Does anyone know for sure?

The DPFRG parameter (DPFRegen?) has just continued to climb 1% at a time regardless. I thought that was probably just the percentage of the time passed until the next scheduled regen. But I don't think so now as my engine hours are at 143 so it will do the next 24 hour regen in one hour. It has gone 23 of 24 hours which is 96%, not 75% so I don't know what that one is sensing either?? Does anyone?

Thanks.

DPF.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Will,
I monitor some of the same stuff as you but I use an Edge CTS3. My % PID is % soot (first column, second PID, PF REGEN). I only started recording regens data the last two regens. In both cases, the % soot went to 100% and then the regen started. The first one completed in 6+ miles and went to 10%. The second completed in 10+ miles and went to 9%.

Edge CTS3 Ram 3500 PID Data.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 19 almost bever showed anything now at 53000km its bouncing between 1/4-3/8 full so it does work just the SO seems to be cleaner running than the HO which does make sense higher compression is a better burn

Will_T

Reaction score
Will,
I monitor some of the same stuff as you but I use an Edge CTS3. My % PID is % soot (first column, second PID, PF REGEN). I only started recording regens data the last two regens. In both cases, the % soot went to 100% and then the regen started. The first one completed in 6+ miles and went to 10%. The second completed in 10+ miles and went to 9%.

So which one of the display boxes in your photo do you think corresponds to the Ram PIDs displayed on my iDash? In other words which one of yours correspond to my "DPFRG" and my "PM1%"? It seems my "PM1%" is not monitoring the same thing as your "PF_REGEN_" as mine never leaves 0%. Is that a % sign beneath the "68"? If my "DPFRG%" is the same as your "PF_REGEN" then that does not seem right either since mine is at 75% which does not correspond at all to the evic DPF% of close to zero%. It also does not correspond to the % of time used until the next regen as that would be 96%. Confusing!!

When your "PF_REGEN" approaches 100% right before a regen starts, what does your evic DPF gauge display show?

John Jensen

Reaction score
So which one of the display boxes in your photo do you think corresponds to the Ram PIDs displayed on my iDash? In other words which one of yours correspond to my "DPFRG" and my "PM1%"? It seems my "PM1%" is not monitoring the same thing as your "PF_REGEN_" as mine never leaves 0%. Is that a % sign beneath the "68"? If my "DPFRG%" is the same as your "PF_REGEN" then that does not seem right either since mine is at 75% which does not correspond at all to the evic DPF% of close to zero%. It also does not correspond to the % of time used until the next regen as that would be 96%. Confusing!!

When your "PF_REGEN" approaches 100% right before a regen starts, what does your evic DPF gauge display show?
Let's start with your last sentence.
When PF_REGEN (Yes, that's a % sign beneath the 68) hits 100% the PID above that changes from a 0 to a 1 (going from regen off to regen on). My EVIC gauge has never moved but when a regen starts it displays that message on the EVIC gauge. And it stays there until the regen completes (the EDGE PID then goes from 1 back to 0).

You ask, "which one of the display boxes in your photo do you think corresponds to the Ram PIDs displayed on my iDash? In other words which one of yours correspond to my "DPFRG" and my "PM1%"?"
I'm not sure because I don't know your definitions.
Since it is at 0, I would guess your PM1% is reading the EVIC gauge data.
Because your DPFRG shows 75% I would guess it is reading the DPF's % soot, the same as my PF_REGEN % Soot.

None of these monitors create data, they can only read and display data from the ECU,

Hope this helps

FYI - here's data regards what's displayed in my picture

Attachments

• 01c-Edge CTS3 Ram 3500 PID Data Alternative.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 16

Will_T

Reaction score
You ask, "which one of the display boxes in your photo do you think corresponds to the Ram PIDs displayed on my iDash? In other words which one of yours correspond to my "DPFRG" and my "PM1%"?"

Since it is at 0, I would guess your PM1% is reading the EVIC gauge data.
That is what I thought too until the EVIC gauge went to about 25% for a couple of weeks and that PM1% stayed at zero. So, it is reading something else, not the EVIC gauge data, just no idea what.

Because your DPFRG shows 75% I would guess it is reading the DPF's % soot, the same as my PF_REGEN % Soot.
I thought that was possible, but it never goes down, even after towing the TT up hills at highway speed. And when the DPF EVIC gauge finally went from 25% back to 0%, that DPFRG did not lower at all, but in fact gradually went up some more over that same time period. Because the rise of the DPFRG seems slow, regular, and linear, I had started thinking it was just reading engine hour percentage until the next 24 hour regen starts. But now that the next 24 hour regen is only one hour away, if it was reading that it would be at 96%, not 75%. Seems like DPFRG is not reading the soot level either as it never decreases, even when towing, So I have no idea what it is reading.

None of these monitors create data, they can only read and display data from the ECU,
I understand that of but... I was just hoping someone would know for sure exactly what PM1% and DPFRG were reading and displaying. We can guess like we have been, but as I have described, our guesses do not seem to pan out correctly. But those two PIDs are reading something. It would just be interesting to know what.

I also understand that wanting to track and display all this is not necessary to using the truck. Some people like me, and probably you, just like to watch what is going on. And since threads like this one show that many would like to know more about how the truck is monitoring the DPF and Regen process, I thought if I could figure out what my iDash was actually displaying, it would help. But unless someone like @Jimmy07 whose knowledge about these trucks seems to have wide breadth can help, we may not be able to figure it out.

I would think Banks could say what their iDash is reading for PM1% and DPFRG, but I have called them twice and their tech support does not know. I am sure some engineer at Banks knows, but we don't have access to their knowledge. At least your CTS3 seems to be better than my iDash as far as exactly what is being read and displayed. I love the physical form of the iDash and some of the functions it allows. But I do like a lot about your CTS3 also. I am not quite nuts enough to own both though!

John Jensen

Reaction score
That is what I thought too until the EVIC gauge went to about 25% for a couple of weeks and that PM1% stayed at zero. So, it is reading something else, not the EVIC gauge data, just no idea what.

I thought that was possible, but it never goes down, even after towing the TT up hills at highway speed. And when the DPF EVIC gauge finally went from 25% back to 0%, that DPFRG did not lower at all, but in fact gradually went up some more over that same time period. Because the rise of the DPFRG seems slow, regular, and linear, I had started thinking it was just reading engine hour percentage until the next 24 hour regen starts. But now that the next 24 hour regen is only one hour away, if it was reading that it would be at 96%, not 75%. Seems like DPFRG is not reading the soot level either as it never decreases, even when towing, So I have no idea what it is reading.

I understand that of but... I was just hoping someone would know for sure exactly what PM1% and DPFRG were reading and displaying. We can guess like we have been, but as I have described, our guesses do not seem to pan out correctly. But those two PIDs are reading something. It would just be interesting to know what.

I also understand that wanting to track and display all this is not necessary to using the truck. Some people like me, and probably you, just like to watch what is going on. And since threads like this one show that many would like to know more about how the truck is monitoring the DPF and Regen process, I thought if I could figure out what my iDash was actually displaying, it would help. But unless someone like @Jimmy07 whose knowledge about these trucks seems to have wide breadth can help, we may not be able to figure it out.

I would think Banks could say what their iDash is reading for PM1% and DPFRG, but I have called them twice and their tech support does not know. I am sure some engineer at Banks knows, but we don't have access to their knowledge. At least your CTS3 seems to be better than my iDash as far as exactly what is being read and displayed. I love the physical form of the iDash and some of the functions it allows. But I do like a lot about your CTS3 also. I am not quite nuts enough to own both though!
Interesting - so much for logical guessing. I'm surprised that Banks is no help. Is the iDash theirs or supplied by iDash? Can you contact iDash?

Yeah, I'm a gadget guy and like to know what's going on. I monitor and record Regen data and miles between regens. Mainly to see the differences between stock, GDE, SFT, and MRT tunes, And to watch for significant changes as an alert to a problem somewhere.
I monitor DEF data to know what quality or % Urea and how much the SRC is demanding. The EGTs to keep at safe levels. Etc.

Let us know when/if you get that iDash figured out.

Will_T

Reaction score
Interesting - so much for logical guessing. I'm surprised that Banks is no help. Is the iDash theirs or supplied by iDash? Can you contact iDash?
The iDash is theirs. Their tech support is pretty good but only trained on what they anticipate being needed. There is an engineering department that would know more, but the only way to get access is to ask a tech support agent to ask them and they have the agent get back in touch with you. That never seems to pan out.

Yeah, I'm a gadget guy and like to know what's going on. I monitor and record Regen data and miles between regens. Mainly to see the differences between stock, GDE, SFT, and MRT tunes, And to watch for significant changes as an alert to a problem somewhere.
I monitor DEF data to know what quality or % Urea and how much the SRC is demanding. The EGTs to keep at safe levels. Etc.
I think I will change out my Torque Converter slip to a DEF PID as I have lost interest in seeing what the torque converter is doing. Maybe also add a 2nd DEF PID in place of my PM1% since that never goes off of zero anyway so what good does it do to display it?

One big advantage of your CTS3 is the ability to display more PIDs on one screen. The iDash is limited to a max of 8 fields. Any more would be hard anyway since it is small. You can set up multiple screens though but then you have to scroll to them and that sort of defeats the purpose of real time monitoring.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Only started looking at the DPF gauge after the increase regens in the Y78 thread. Every time I've scrolled past it, it's been at zero but have been leaving it on since just out of curiosity as I've never noticed the truck doing a regen (unless dropping my fuel mileage to 7 pulling the 5th wheel in Iowa was one) other than an occasional burnt rubber smell. So Friday after work, shut the truck down at 0 on the gauge where it sat until Sunday. Started it up and gauge was over 25%. So, curious why the change when the truck is not running?

Will_T

Reaction score
Friday after work, shut the truck down at 0 on the gauge where it sat until Sunday. Started it up and gauge was over 25%. So, curious why the change when the truck is not running?
I don't know the answer but this is what I saw also. It was at zero forever. Then after starting one time it was just over 25%. Stayed there for several days then one day after starting it was back at zero. Different than an idiot light but I really think that DPF gauge is an "idiot gauge". It really does not seem to know what it is doing.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I've been curious to see if anyone has not had the 24 hour active regen. Was coming back from Dallas last week on 35/130 where the speed limit is 75/85 watching my DPF gauge to see if it entered active regen. This was through hours 24 and 25 and never saw it pop up. Maybe I missed it, but I never saw MPG decrease off the usual 17-19 it was giving me both ways depending on wind and speed (about 800 miles of highway round trip). I avoid short tripping it as much I can, stealing the other half's little ecoboost edge for my in town errands when I can get away with it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been curious to see if anyone has not had the 24 hour active regen. Was coming back from Dallas last week on 35/130 where the speed limit is 75/85 watching my DPF gauge to see if it entered active regen. This was through hours 24 and 25 and never saw it pop up. Maybe I missed it, but I never saw MPG decrease off the usual 17-19 it was giving me both ways depending on wind and speed (about 800 miles of highway round trip). I avoid short tripping it as much I can, stealing the other half's little ecoboost edge for my in town errands when I can get away with it.
It could have done a regen if needed prior to the 24 hr period

Will_T

Reaction score

I am only at 143 hours but so far my truck has done a regen at every 24 hour interval. I know because in addition to anything shown on the evic, I have "Regen On/Off" displayed on my iDash. I have not seen a regen in between the 24 hour intervals though so do not know what a regen in between might do to the next 24 hour regen.

I imagine I will get a regen soon. Probably what will happen is that I will be in town like the last couple of times and need to get on the freeway and run it until the regen completes. I feel better letting it complete once it starts, rather than letting it start and stop several times before it completes. Once started, I just want it over with.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Yea I need to get a data monster, but I've been trying to work out a mounting solution being that I have a tinted windshield. Thinking about cobbling together the Edge Mount with the Twin Pod mount from Banks, but I haven't done enough research to see if the ball mounts on those two match up.

Basically take the twin pods off their ball and stuff em on the ball from the CTS a pillar mount is what I'm after.

1659546665147.png
1659546681867.png

Will_T

Reaction score
Yea I need to get a data monster, but I've been trying to work out a mounting solution being that I have a tinted windshield. Thinking about cobbling together the Edge Mount with the Twin Pod mount from Banks, but I haven't done enough research to see if the ball mounts on those two match up.

Basically take the twin pods off their ball and stuff em on the ball from the CTS a pillar mount is what I'm after.
I needed only one for the iDash so I just got this cheap one. I did replace the double sided tape it came with, with a better tape. So far so good.

flan

Reaction score
My last regen was at 414hrs, slightly off from the 24hr mark. It was a few back it went off schedule, not sure why. Either way the gage has only gone up to 25% once, and the system has been trouble free over the last 17k miles. 6hr tow coming up on sat down to MD with the the camper, first of the season it’s been a slow one for us.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Interesting - I hooked my 5th wheel up to take it on a short spin to the repair shop - DPF gauge jumped from 27% where it had been sitting to 50% and started active regen before I even moved the truck and trailer. Noted 539 hours on the clock and have about 1200 miles to do the next couple of days. Think I'll leave the DPF gauge up just to see.

Users who are viewing this thread