Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

Will_T

Reaction score
Well, at least I am in good company! I am not that concerned as I believe even without the DPF covered, it is worth the $1.400.00 I paid to extend it to 8 years. There is a lot of other stuff that could happen where one repair might cover the cost of the warranty. What I am frustrated and concerned about are all the people with similar stories of dealers pushing off warranty work for months, or parts never becoming available, or stories of trucks sitting for weeks and months with no repairs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Today. Still hasn't started an active regen and has been on the highway a few times in the last 2 weeks.

1652288764578.jpeg

Razzman

Reaction score
I've never seen mine off of zero. Two weeks ago did a 2,400 mile trip towing and watched it occasionally throughout and nothing. Did go through almost a full tank of DEF though.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I will have to look at mine later today. But I have seen mine off of zero and I have seen it tell me regen in progress when not on the DPF screen.
'20 HO drw. I am over 30K on miles, too.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Here is mine showing off of zero the other day. If I see it go to regen with the message it is doing so, I will try to capture a pic of that, too. I have seen it tell me before. Or I could be confusing that with the '16 I had before this one.

dpf.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is mine showing off of zero the other day. If I see it go to regen with the message it is doing so, I will try to capture a pic of that, too. I have seen it tell me before. Or I could be confusing that with the '16 I had before this one.

View attachment 38681

Mine has been running around 30% for a week now and only went down around 7% after towing my 5th wheel 25 miles from my buddy's repair shop. Still hasn't gone into an active regen.

I might run it up the big road a ways @ 80-85 to see if it will start a regen or will passive clear. It's never stayed that high for that long. I could also try to force a regen with AlfaOBD as I've personally never seen that work.

steve49

Reaction score
I've monitored mine and have seen it get up around 50% being the highest. I've seen the gauge go up and after a while drop down some and then go up again after a while of driving. I assumed the up and down may have been during passive regens that I've seen mentioned here. Then after all that it will reach a point and eventually do a full regen with the message on the screen.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
Mine has been running around 30% for a week now and only went down around 7% after towing my 5th wheel 25 miles from my buddy's repair shop. Still hasn't gone into an active regen.

I might run it up the big road a ways @ 80-85 to see if it will start a regen or will passive clear. It's never stayed that high for that long. I could also try to force a regen with AlfaOBD as I've personally never seen that work.

From what I have seen it will take roughly 1-1.5 hours driving at highway speed to complete a passive regen. My gauge was recently below halfway before I started a road trip. After one hour of highway speeds the gauge started to go down and was at 0 after 30 additional minutes of driving.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Passive regeneration occurs when the load and speed of the engine produce DPF exhaust temperatures greater than 662 degrees F, and it burns off the trapped DPF soot as long as the vehicle operates at that level (EGT3 sensor).

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From what I have seen it will take roughly 1-1.5 hours driving at highway speed to complete a passive regen. My gauge was recently below halfway before I started a road trip. After one hour of highway speeds the gauge started to go down and was at 0 after 30 additional minutes of driving.
That is all subjective to load,speed and terrain

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
Mine has never moved off of zero. I’m only at 4K miles but I have burned Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage the entire time. To my knowledge the truck has never re-gen‘ed.
$200/gallon! Dang! I assume the cost benefit overall is worth it.

CFE

Reaction score
$200/gallon! Dang! I assume the cost benefit overall is worth it.
Was about to say the same - doing funny math to see if 64 portions (1oz per 25gal so 2 per full tank) with a $300 full tank bill (50 gal tank), so 64x300 and $2xx for a gallon PPMM...

I imagine in the long run, it's nickel and dimes if the stuff works, it's worth it. The heartburn for paying $2xx for a gallon of anything is real though..lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hooked the boat to fill it at the local Murphy's and the truck started an active regen. Probably coincidence.

I had a few stops but it eventually completed and went to Zero on the gauge.

"DPF" PID still showed 55% (down from 76%). I didn't log anything ,but it was interesting to watch the DPF pressure differentials as I drove it.

Not sure my MPG has increased or decreased but I got an average of 9MPG running 65 miles up all 2-lane so not any constant speed for any length of time.

Will_T

Reaction score
Well I just noticed that for the first time I have ever seen, my DPF screen is showing a percentage of about 25%. I have only been driving around town and some highway for a couple of months and maybe 400 miles. No towing of the TT at all so maybe that is why. The hours on the engine are at 136 so it will be doing a regen in 8 hours.

By the way, what is the gauge shown at the arrow? It does not seem to be part of what you can customize but I am pretty sure it was not always there. I thought maybe it is also DPF as the dial is close to the same %. But it is not and exact match. I will go find an old photo of my dash to see if it has always been there.

DPF.jpg

Will_T

Reaction score
I just went back and looked at a few older photos of my dash and indeed that small round gauge at the arrow was not displayed so I was right that it just appeared. It stays in place no matter what screen I scroll to also. Anyone know if it indeed is the DPF and maybe it only pops up when something is registering? Or is it for something else that just appeared for some reason?

I think it must be for something other than the DPF as others, like @Brutal_HO in post 42 in this thread, have posted photos of the DPF screen with a % showing but not that small gauge.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I just went back and looked at a few older photos of my dash and indeed that small round gauge at the arrow was not displayed so I was right that it just appeared. It stays in place no matter what screen I scroll to also. Anyone know if it indeed is the DPF and maybe it only pops up when something is registering? Or is it for something else that just appeared for some reason?
I don't know as I've never seen that on my truck. That said, I've never seen the DPF gauge move either

Will_T

Reaction score
I don't know as I've never seen that on my truck. That said, I've never seen the DPF gauge move either
OK thanks. Maybe someone else will know. I am pretty sure it is not an error message of some sort as it is in white not yellow.

And yes this is the first time in 1-1/2 years of ownership I have seen anything on the DPF gauge.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
OK thanks. Maybe someone else will know. I am pretty sure it is not an error message of some sort as it is in white not yellow.

And yes this is the first time in 1-1/2 years of ownership I have seen anything on the DPF gauge.
Thats the cruise control it means its on but not set….

And at 53,000 km i have seen my dpf gauge move to 1/8th 2 times and quickly clear up until the other day it started at 1/8 then went to 1/4 now it fluctuates between 1/4 and 5/16 ish i have not regened yet but im sure it will clear when i do

Will_T

Reaction score
Thats the cruise control it means its on but not set….
Of course. Thanks. I had turned it on to use high idle earlier today and I guess even though I long before turned off the engine while I was draining and refilling the DEF tank, I guess it was not "off" enough in some way. Usually if the CC is on and I turn off the engine it is not still on the next time I start up. But maybe it is on a timer or somehow senses I, and the FOB have not left the general area of the truck. These trucks can be eerie at times. I noticed long ago that because I store my FOB in the house but within range of the truck, that it will sometimes "wake up" for no clear reason. I have taken to storing the FOBs in a Faraday container when I am not going to be using the truck for a while. That way they cannot communicate with the truck and it is not intermittently waking the dash and uConnect screen.

Users who are viewing this thread