Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

Riddick

Reaction score
I have only looked at my gauge a few times but on my last road trip I took, the truck had 1700 miles and it was showing around 30 percent full. After an hour on the freeway it was down to 0.

Will_T

Reaction score
Mine has never moved off of zero. I’m only at 4K miles but I have burned Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage the entire time. To my knowledge the truck has never re-gen‘ed.
You have the HO but same year as mine. My gauge has never moved off zero either. But I am pretty sure yours has regened. You would not know it unless you were on that DPF screen full time or had an iDash or CTS3, etc. and were monitoring it that way. At 4,000 miles you must be long past 24 hours on the engine so it would have regened regardless of the particulate% at 24, 48, 72, hours, etc. I have had 5 regens so far. I caught it at 24 hours because I monitor the EGR temps. Then as I approached 48, 72, 96, and 120 hours, each time I watched the hour display and within minutes of turning over to one of those hour markers, regen started. If all continues as it has, I will see the next regen at 144 hours.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Disregard the Hold to Regen. Tried turning it on in AlfaOBD but it didn't work.

View attachment 35730
My screen is identical and supposedly I have the manual regen option, or at least I paid $245 for something called Manual DPF Regeneration. I assume it will always do it's thing based on normal parameters or allow me to force it on demand to fit my schedule when needed. I just got home from a 1600 mile trip, truck now has over 1700 total miles, and to my knowledge it has not regen'd yet. It never showed an alert, maybe it doesn't, and I watched instant fuel economy thinking I could spot it that way but never saw anything that looked like it was burning excess fuel. Averaged about 11mpg pulling my 26ft 5th wheel, about the same as my Dmax trucks did. I was worried all the way home that the DPF might be plugging up but after reading this thread, seems like maybe it's normal? I've been used to GM kicking off at 800 miles if it hadn't regen'd on soot load yet. Ram seems to not regen as often?

dslbrnr

Reaction score
You will experience passive regens when at full temp under load or hwy speeds. Meaning it won't show regen on the DPF gauge, not burning excess fuel but the system will be removing soot do to high temps inside the DPF. The after treatment exhaust system on Rams seems to work well, at least that's been my experience although they do use some DEF

flan

Reaction score
If you leave your evic on the dpf screen a message will pop up when in active regen. Usually around the 24hr of engine operation interval. (Engine run time also has a screen in the evic)

Blythkd1

Reaction score
You will experience passive regens when at full temp under load or hwy speeds. Meaning it won't show regen on the DPF gauge, not burning excess fuel but the system will be removing soot do to high temps inside the DPF. The after treatment exhaust system on Rams seems to work well, at least that's been my experience although they do use some DEF
So how does the system reach high enough temps to burn off the soot if it's not burning extra fuel? I apologize for the ignorance but I'm still trying to re-program myself from the GM side. On a Dmax, you can clearly see the decrease in instant fuel mileage during regen.

Seems like we enjoy substantially longer time between regens than GM does. Also, theirs takes about 20-25 minutes at highway speeds, hoping ours is similar if not better.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So how does the system reach high enough temps to burn off the soot if it's not burning extra fuel? I apologize for the ignorance but I'm still trying to re-program myself from the GM side. On a Dmax, you can clearly see the decrease in instant fuel mileage during regen.

Seems like we enjoy substantially longer time between regens than GM does. Also, theirs takes about 20-25 minutes at highway speeds, hoping ours is similar if not better.
You dont need the extra fuel if the engine has enough load

John Jensen

Reaction score
So how does the system reach high enough temps to burn off the soot if it's not burning extra fuel?
Others have explained it. To explain in other words: Any time the truck reaches prescribed exhaust temps it will perform a passive regen. Extra fuel burn only happens with Active regens. Active regens will occur when soot levels reach 80% and/or every 24 hours of engine time. The att may help

Oops! Edited to add the att

Attachments

• 01b2-Active-Passive-SRC & Notes.pdf
    101.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

C A S

Reaction score
19 3500 6.7 31k on it. Gauge has ALWAYS read 0% . Even as it gave us a check engine fault for a DPM sensor. 1st time the dealer's tech reset it and ordered the part (while in Indiana); 2nd time we got the fault code was approx. 3 wks later and we were in Ft. Stockton, TX. 8 dys later a new DPM & heat sensor was installed (dealer). It has still read zero %, and I've never been able to discern it doing a regeneration.

red

Reaction score
After reading this thread I decided to keep my display on the DPF. It was at zero for a few days and never moved and then all of a sudden, while I was towing my TT, it indicated a regen was in progress. This lasted about 10-15 minutes and the display went back to zero. Hasn't moved off zero since.

resoverlord

Reaction score
After reading this thread I decided to keep my display on the DPF. It was at zero for a few days and never moved and then all of a sudden, while I was towing my TT, it indicated a regen was in progress. This lasted about 10-15 minutes and the display went back to zero. Hasn't moved off zero since.
If your engine hours were a multiple of 24, it may have been that. The truck regens every 24 engine hours or when it thinks the filter is full.

OuterUB

Reaction score
You have the HO but same year as mine. My gauge has never moved off zero either. But I am pretty sure yours has regened. You would not know it unless you were on that DPF screen full time or had an iDash or CTS3, etc. and were monitoring it that way. At 4,000 miles you must be long past 24 hours on the engine so it would have regened regardless of the particulate% at 24, 48, 72, hours, etc. I have had 5 regens so far. I caught it at 24 hours because I monitor the EGR temps. Then as I approached 48, 72, 96, and 120 hours, each time I watched the hour display and within minutes of turning over to one of those hour markers, regen started. If all continues as it has, I will see the next regen at 144 hours.
Thanks for this. Now I'll be able to anticipate regens....

thecastle

Reaction score
Mine comes off of zero and usually climbs to 50%. Around that time it goes into regen. I have a 2019 HO. I usually only see these on short trips while not towing. When towing I think the dpf stays hot enough to not need regens.

OuterUB

Reaction score
Here's my new favourite sales pitch from RAM...

"Let's see if he actually KNOWS what DEF is and that he DOESN'T need to make an appointment...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-070328.png
    Screenshot_20220501-070328.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

resoverlord

Reaction score
I found this very interesting:

Basically, the more miles you put on a filter, the more ash it accumulates. More ash = more frequent regens. Given that the diesel emissions warranty is only for 50k miles, and that any extended warranty from Mopar excludes the DPF as a covered component, I'd venture to guess that Ram expects the DPF to become filled with ash and require more frequent regens after 50k miles or so.

The article defines ash as "the incombustible material left behind following filter regeneration and soot oxidation."

Article also says "an increase in regeneration frequency by a factor of 1.6 over 240,000 miles is unavoidable, in the best case, due to the significant filter volume occupied by the ash and reduction in the DPF’s soot storage capacity"

For those who's gauges aren't coming up at all, vs those who are, I'd be curious to see everyone's mileage. I'm at 60k miles and my gauge does come up well before the 24 hour mark.

Will_T

Reaction score
any extended warranty from Mopar excludes the DPF as a covered component,

For those who's gauges aren't coming up at all, vs those who are, I'd be curious to see everyone's mileage. I'm at 60k miles and my gauge does come up well before the 24 hour mark.
Guess I should read the fine print. Did not know the DPF was excluded.

My truck only has 4,000 miles or so and the gauge never moves.

OuterUB

Reaction score

Me neither .... Negotiated the mega-extended warranty in order to AVOID DPF cost issues. :mad:

John Jensen

Reaction score

Me neither. Thought bumper to bumper meant what it said.

jbncccb

Reaction score
I keep my dash on the fuel economy screen. I can always tell when Regen occurs because my fuel mileage goes to crap. I flip screens and it will say Regen in process.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread