Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF system issues

Kingsfisherman

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my 2020 Ram 3500 DRW w/6.7 Cummins in Aug. in Yuma Az. to haul a 36' 5th wheel back to Alaska, which I did.
The truck handled the trip flawlessly and I was very impressed with this truck then but now... here in Alaska it's winter time and I have discovered a problem with this truck, apparently the DEF system doesn't do well in cold climates.
Last week my wife was driving the truck and the DEF system issue message appeared and she immediately took it to the dealership where we learned that either we over filled the tank and it set off the trouble message or the DEF tank froze and caused the problem. I don't believe I have over filled the tank but it could have happened, I believe it's more likely that the tank froze while being parked outside.
I have an engine block heater and use it when I have to park the truck outside but apparently that won't help.
Anyways do we now have a truck the the DEF system is susceptible to problems in the cold weather?

I've been reading in a bunch of different forums about this system and it appears that problems with it are hit and miss. As I understand it, it designed so that when it freezes the internal heater thaws it enough to have some available when it's needed but that may or may not happen that way and causes a wide variety of problems ie: pump failure, sensor failure, brief ECU warnings of going in to limp mode etc. Also crystallization can occur and cause problems. Here I thought I was buying the last truck I'll ever need and now I'm having second thought's
There must be ways around this problem.

TIA for any help.
Tony F.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Sorry no help other than the knowledge that your truck you need to drive in the cold was designed well down in the lower 48 and built in Mexico so…good luck. Removal may be the only foolproof option :eek:. The problem is it’s kinda good to wait until the warranty is over.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my 2020 Ram 3500 DRW w/6.7 Cummins in Aug. in Yuma Az. to haul a 36' 5th wheel back to Alaska, which I did.
The truck handled the trip flawlessly and I was very impressed with this truck then but now... here in Alaska it's winter time and I have discovered a problem with this truck, apparently the DEF system doesn't do well in cold climates.
Last week my wife was driving the truck and the DEF system issue message appeared and she immediately took it to the dealership where we learned that either we over filled the tank and it set off the trouble message or the DEF tank froze and caused the problem. I don't believe I have over filled the tank but it could have happened, I believe it's more likely that the tank froze while being parked outside.
I have an engine block heater and use it when I have to park the truck outside but apparently that won't help.
Anyways do we now have a truck the the DEF system is susceptible to problems in the cold weather?

I've been reading in a bunch of different forums about this system and it appears that problems with it are hit and miss. As I understand it, it designed so that when it freezes the internal heater thaws it enough to have some available when it's needed but that may or may not happen that way and causes a wide variety of problems ie: pump failure, sensor failure, brief ECU warnings of going in to limp mode etc. Also crystallization can occur and cause problems. Here I thought I was buying the last truck I'll ever need and now I'm having second thought's

TIA for any help.
Tony F.
I am fighting the same issues when the injection pump recall gets done im deleting the def and egr problem solved this garbage is not ment for cold climates

aman

Reaction score
Hello,

TIA for any help.
Tony F.
Brother I feel the pain, I live in Kentucky and still have the same problem as you, I have had mine a year and the def problem at times I smell antifreeze and only had to add 1qt for 22000 now have recall on fuel pump and lug bolts you would think 80k would get you a little better truck lol, dealer said they have no idea when part would come in so I keep driving on.

Users who are viewing this thread