Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Def injector disconnect

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do you know how long a DPF should last? I've only got 16.7k on my truck and the dealer says it's too clogged to clear. I hardly drive the truck since I bought it to tow my travel trailer. When I do, it is usually a short trip unfortunately, but I can't imagine I've done enough of them to destroy the DPF. I never got a warning or anything, just DPF full, see dealer. Thanks
It should last at least 300k miles before it needs to be removed and cleaned the DPF should last the lifetime of the vehicle unless the exhaust rots off

techman

Reaction score
Do you know how long a DPF should last? I've only got 16.7k on my truck and the dealer says it's too clogged to clear. I hardly drive the truck since I bought it to tow my travel trailer. When I do, it is usually a short trip unfortunately, but I can't imagine I've done enough of them to destroy the DPF. I never got a warning or anything, just DPF full, see dealer. Thanks

Worst answer I know...but it depends.

DPF's need heat to keep the soot build up at bay. Drive, drive, drive. and don't idle. If you are driving consistently enough that will make it last longer and the active regens should pick up the slack. But if soot builds up because of the inability to burn it effectively it's just a matter of time before build up exceeds the ability to burn it off. Perfect conditions, I would say 150K or more easily before a take off cleaning or replacement is warranted. At 100K miles on any car you have to be prepared to start replacing worn out stuff. Nothing lasts forever.

R. Yates

Reaction score
Worst answer I know...but it depends.

DPF's need heat to keep the soot build up at bay. Drive, drive, drive. and don't idle. If you are driving consistently enough that will make it last longer and the active regens should pick up the slack. But if soot builds up because of the inability to burn it effectively it's just a matter of time before build up exceeds the ability to burn it off. Perfect conditions, I would say 150K or more easily before a take off cleaning or replacement is warranted. At 100K miles on any car you have to be prepared to start replacing worn out stuff. Nothing lasts forever.
Thanks for the reply. It just boggles my mind that soot would build up that fast. I definitely don't idle it. But like I said a lot of times it's just a short trip to the grocery store if my wife's car isn't available. I wonder if letting the truck sit for long periods makes it worse. i've gone 2 weeks sometimes without driving it. Ram needs to do a better job with this problem. At least give a warning that a regen is necessary, or a regen is in progress leave the engine running, anything. 3 weeks and counting for the new DPF.

R. Yates

Reaction score
It should last at least 300k miles before it needs to be removed and cleaned the DPF should last the lifetime of the vehicle unless the exhaust rots off
I guess the key word is should. Do you think it's worth doing a manual regen myself instead of trusting the dealer? 3 weeks and counting for the new DPF

MtnRider

Reaction score

I highly doubt it is clogged with 16.7k miles, if it is that truck has some serious issues. If I had to bet it's a sensor problem telling them that is is full. Either that or the DPF was defective from the factory, some sort of restriction?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I guess the key word is should. Do you think it's worth doing a manual regen myself instead of trusting the dealer? 3 weeks and counting for the new DPF
The no the system does its own regens if there is issues where its getting clogged the issues should be fixed as the DPF should never be full at your low millage. My 19 for 53k km only saw the DPF gauge move 3 times 2 times it hit 1/8th then cleared the last time it hit 3/8s and then cleared during a regen i have since deleted the truck so i have no more DPF but thats just an incite on how the system should be

R. Yates

Reaction score
I highly doubt it is clogged with 16.7k miles, if it is that truck has some serious issues. If I had to bet it's a sensor problem telling them that is is full. Either that or the DPF was defective from the factory, some sort of restriction?

I'm also highly suspicious because the clog occurred right after the Cp3 installation...about the 3rd trip I think. Coincidence? maybe

R. Yates

Reaction score
The no the system does its own regens if there is issues where its getting clogged the issues should be fixed as the DPF should never be full at your low millage. My 19 for 53k km only saw the DPF gauge move 3 times 2 times it hit 1/8th then cleared the last time it hit 3/8s and then cleared during a regen i have since deleted the truck so i have no more DPF but thats just an incite on how the system should be
Ok thanks. I am going to be watching that DPF gauge like a hawk from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread