Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF Gauge Question ( Longhorn / Limited )

jakebrake

Reaction score
Going to put this here as well, so more folks can see it.

Well here is some info that I learned today.

1. I have a new ( three day old ) Longhorn 3500, 6.7 when it had 120 miles on it, the DPF gauge in the instrument cluster showed 30% ( full, blockage ) of a 100%. ( my 2018 Laramie didn't have this gauge ).

2. I took off on a road trip and drove 175 miles at highway seeds. and now this is what the gauge looks like.

What does it take to get to 0% I wonder.

Anyone going through something like this, or can share. DSC_3259.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

Mine will drop to zero without much fuss. Do you have a trailer you can hook onto and make it work harder?

jakebrake

Reaction score
Mine will drop to zero without much fuss. Do you have a trailer you can hook onto and make it work harder?

not right now. will have in another 8-10 months. no option other than keeping an eye on it. is your's a 2019.

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
Mine has never shown anything except zero, at about 3000 miles now. During regen the gauge disappears for a message saying regen in progress.

jakebrake

Reaction score
Mine has never shown anything except zero, at about 3000 miles now. During regen the gauge disappears for a message saying regen in progress.

this is what I don't understand. if you've never shown anything other than 0, why has yours gone into regen. maybe mine hasn't gone into regen yet and will after I get some more miles on it. I know it seems like I'm worried about nothing but, I'm trying to understand this gauge and what's in the owners manual. can't find the gauge in the manual.

Don-T

Reaction score
Mine has gone to about 30% when the truck idles for a long time (30 minutes or more) and it has done a regen after being there for a while. It has also done a regen with the gauge still showing 0. I ignore it now.

jakebrake

Reaction score
Mine has gone to about 30% when the truck idles for a long time (30 minutes or more) and it has done a regen after being there for a while. It has also done a regen with the gauge still showing 0. I ignore it now.

if mine does that I'll post, but for now keeping a eye on it. I feel it did idle a good bit at the dealer before I picked it up. will you get a message on the dash every time it regens.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Mine was like that first fee weeks, but since then has been at zero and I’m at 3400 miles.

D

Deleted member 80

if mine does that I'll post, but for now keeping a eye on it. I feel it did idle a good bit at the dealer before I picked it up. will you get a message on the dash every time it regens.
If you go to the DPF gauge screen it will say. "Active Regeneration In Progress". The engine also makes more timing rattle.

Don-T

Reaction score
Minie did another regen yesterday and the gauge was on zero when it started.

Fierodough

Reaction score
I have a tad over 4500 Miles on my 2500 Laramie and I have never seen the gauge show anything over 0%.... I'm wondering if it's even working?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i have about 3500 miles on my tradesman and the dpf gauge has never shown anything but zero. even when this happened for the 1st time the other day.20190910_173302.jpg

DieselDZ

Reaction score
I have over 5000 miles on my 2019 HO, guage has never been above zero and i have never seen a regen message. I have put about 5+ gallons of DEF fluid in since new. No towing. I do drive 50+miles each way to work on the highway at 70+mph so it's ovious to me why it should never get clogged. I also give it a good foot to the floor on the on ramp up to about 75, clear that **** right the hell out. :)

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
^ that's kind of what i do. i take the toll way 3x a week to the office, and usually do 85 - 90. hopefully that
helps clear the crap.

flan

Reaction score
I think unless you leave it on the DPF screen the message will not appear can anyone else confirm?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
correct. if i was not on the dpf screen, it would not show the regen activity. that comment is for
my t'man only. some of the fancy pants trucks may show a different view.

rmarchjr

Reaction score
It does seem on these new one that if your exercising them on a highway daily, they don't go into active regen and get it done without notice leaving us with 0% on the guage. When I don't drive highway, idle more and drive around town only for 3-5 days, the guage fills up to near 25% then initiates regen. I've used 5 gallons of DEF in 1800 miles. 2019 HO/Aisin

Users who are viewing this thread