Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of Diesel

TigerRP

Reaction score
You are confusing with hydrogen. Natural gas is either produced from fossil fuel (not renewable) or biofuel. And both still both produce carbon emission.
Hydrogen is considered a green solution, but you still need to produce electricity to make it. So unless it is solar, wind or hydro, it is not that green. But yes, the byproduct is indeed water.
Hydrogen will win for transportation hands down over batteries. Number 1 look at the environmental damage being done to mine lithium. These are worse than iron ore mines. Look at what’s mining, massive CAT equipment.

So unless there’s a break thru in battery technology, there’s not enough lithium to power the US economy. Stantec is doing a lot with hydrogen, working on hydroelectric power to hydrogen and, what I think would work, is using inefficient wind power in our bread basket to make the power needed to make hydrogen.

Hydrogen can be mixed up to around 5-10% in our present Ng lines, above that causes corrosion. Then using present pipeline right of ways, could build a transportation network first then other uses later.

Also large Ng builders like Siemens and GE are quietly testing hydrogen in their generation lineup.

I certainly don’t know the state of research in battery tech but I’ve heard that the scientist who developed the lithium battery has, with a research student, found a way to improve energy density in batteries significantly without rare earth metals. It came up a few times, and I haven’t seen this story again for a while.

But If they could come up w a battery with enormous energy density, and quick charging times we will all like batteries.

When I worked in coal mines, we had a 440 v dc system, we had a trolley and power stations through out the mine. The power of dc motors is impressive.

Peace

sstoner911

Reaction score
The change will happen gradually. Most "oldies" won't have anything to do with electric. But the younger generations will gradually take over the buying market and they will adopt it fast.
Don't think the grid will not follow the market... it will. Follow the money.

Just look of the expansion of Tesla in the last 10 years. It started as a joke. Now, they are everywhere.
Electric semi are coming fast. And it is not just for highway vehicles. Yesterday I saw an article on a logging company that put deposit on one.

In the meanwhile, I will enjoy my diesel truck!
The younger generation better figure out what fuel they are going to use to make electricity to charge all those batteries...

Then what are you doing with the old batteries...land fill?

senecagreen

Reaction score
2022 Nissan Leaf is $27,000, the cheapest electric car on the market right now. The only way most young people could get that is with the $7000 federal tax credit.

Most young people I know can't afford it and would rather buy something used that fits their image. They would rather have something cool. The Nissan leaf is not cool compared to something like the Hyundai Santa Cruz compact pickup for that kind of money.

A prius is not cool either. Ram 2500 with 850 ft. lbs of torque? Yea that's cool and most of the mods done to these trucks are all about image. Level kits, lift kits, wheels, tires etc. etc. I am guilty too, I just put a 5" tailpipe on my truck with a 6" tip. lol doesn't do a damn thing but looks good.

These diesel trucks aren't going away anytime soon. Sadly, most young people can't afford a new one but plenty of used ones to mod.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Interesting Report about a guy towing with A Rivian. Not sure if that has been shared but that "should" tell you how much the Diesel is needed.
Biden's infrastructure bill got shut down, too. I was hoping for chargers on Interstate Rest station but that might take a long time until they are coming?
Electric vehicles....you can only understand the pros and cons if you have one in your household. Too much fake news around.

Firebird

Reaction score
Interesting Report about a guy towing with A Rivian. Not sure if that has been shared but that "should" tell you how much the Diesel is needed.
Biden's infrastructure bill got shut down, too. I was hoping for chargers on Interstate Rest station but that might take a long time until they are coming?
Electric vehicles....you can only understand the pros and cons if you have one in your household. Too much fake news around.
What a PITA it would be to have to tow with an EV

senecagreen

Reaction score
Because of truck stops and the range of a diesel, there shouldn't be anywhere in the US you cant go and make it to fuel.

I asked 2 15 yr olds if they knew what a Nissan Leaf was. They said yes. I asked do you thonk it's cool? They said no. I asked, do you think a Prius is cool? They said no. I asked what do you think is cool? They said, I don't know but not a Prius or a Leaf. lol

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
We have a Tesla MY21, awesome car. Nevertheless my 11 year wants a Vette when he's 16- he mows the neighbours' lawns to make it happen. My 7 year old son is into Lambos and other exotic cars. We always go to car shows and everything I see with a lot of attention has a real engine so far.
Motorsports has Formula E but nobody is watching it. Real motorsport has sound, flames and more what can't be explained.
I think young people are less into motorcycle and cars, but all the announcements that IC engines will be going away soon are a pipe dream of some hippies.

MikeXM

Reaction score
So far what I have seen is if EVs are towing or going offroad, they shorten their range by 66% roughly. So before EV are somewhat equivalent to diesel, EVs will need a base range of 1200 to 1500 miles unloaded. Rivian are 300ish unloaded. They are way far from that 1500 miles goal.

Not saying this can't happen, it will, but new energy storage technologies will need to be created before diesel goes into extinction.

So, not in the short term for sure.

yorken99

Reaction score
I can't say this enough; We nee to start building Gen IV Nuclear Plants ASAP if we want to fuel this coming evolution.
I completely agree with Brutal. The new breeder reactors are incredibly safe. And it's a completely carbon neutral source of energy. We have this hangover from 3 mile island and chernobyl and the Japan earthquake. And rightly so - all three of those events were incredibly dangerous and damaging with long term impacts. But as usual, people react to the media and the headlines rather than educate themselves.

The new reactor designs literally don't allow run-away nuclear events to happen. the nuclear reaction is self-quenching without active management. Don't take my word for it - look it up. Idiots like Bill Gates are huge proponents and trying to get the new design nuclear reactors built in the US.

Lastly, as long as we don't act like the French and dump the nuclear waste in the ocean, there is virtually no environmental impact. That's what Nevada is for.....

MikeXM

Reaction score
Lastly, as long as we don't act like the French and dump the nuclear waste in the ocean, there is virtually no environmental impact.

When I read this, I was like WTF... Why would they do that for? So I looked it up. Turns out that 13 countries has done it. Actually the USA did it 10X more than the French. That was before 1970 in both cases. But the largest culprit is Russia with 10X more than the USA. And they did it until the international ban in 1992.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I think I posted at the beginning of this thread.... diesel is not going anywhere in anyone's lifetime that is reading this thread. What will happen is of course EVs are going to advance and get better. That is the nature of any technology. With regards to towing with an EV truck, absolutely valid ... but do you think the RV industry is not also paying attention? Lippert frames and a few other big manufacturers already have prototype "EV" RV (trailers) - stop thinking that the world we are in right now is what the world will be like with an EV. This entire space is very much still in its infancy and the ripple effects are going to be vast - like several have already commented. But in the end, diesel engines and diesel trucks are going to be on the road for years to come.

senecagreen

Reaction score
The inconvience of waiting for a charge puts off many I think. I like to stop, fuel and get to where I am going. This is from an srticle in the UK about their charge stations.

The key problem is that EV charging, even at ultra-fast speeds, is a time sink. You can’t just roll up, fill up, and be gone within a few minutes. You have to plug in and wait, and that’s something we just cannot avoid. Even the fastest charging cars need at least 15 minutes to recoup a meaningful amount of range - even longer if you want to charge your battery to the 80% mark.

flan

Reaction score
Tfl did a test up the Ike with the new electric rivivan and used up 80% battery power. Diesel isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Harryman

Reaction score
Here in Oz we have some lengthy road trips, many towing a caravan (RV)
The last place we want to be waiting around for lengthy recharge times is in a service centre.
Same people who claim 25 minute charge time is OK are the ones who use phone Apps to pay without going inside to pay for fuel :)

mcarey

Reaction score
And when the governor of your state shuts the power grid off for half a day, and you need a charge then what? Maybe they should all come with bicycle racks.
How do you plan on getting, or paying for fuel at a station if the grid is down?

AJ608

Reaction score
Tfl did a test up the Ike with the new electric rivivan and used up 80% battery power. Diesel isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
I just watched that, man that thing used all it's power just getting to the hill to start the test. Even then they sat at that charging station for like an hour or so to get like 45-50% charge.

Users who are viewing this thread