Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash camera

carlrx7

Reaction score
Anyone done a dash camera install yet? Looking for the switched power to tap into. I'm thinking i'll find some in the mirror or under that massive cover on the windshield. Any tips taking that thing off so I don't snap any plastic clips?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the aux switches?

I'm going to wire mine into an Aux switch because I have a hardwire kit for my battery free camera that takes one ignition source and one vehicle battery source for the parking guard feature. I want to be able to disable it for long term parking and less drain on an already battery draining system.

MSundet

Reaction score
What camera are you running ?

What camera is everyone running ?

I would like to wire one install one into my bottom of my mirror...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_1648

I have a BlackVue 900 mounted just under the rear-view mirror. I ran the power up through the cover by the mirror and along the roof line down to the A-pillar. From there routed it under the dash and to the drivers-side where I tapped into the interior fuse box. I suppose you could tap into an existing power source under that box by the mirror. I just wasn't confident enough to do that.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Carl,
This forum thread has goos information
Dash Cams Thread

Here's my basic instructions on getting to the mirror wiring & what leads to use

Wiring Cover Removal:
First, remove the smaller of the two plastic assembly at the base of the mirror, this can be done using a small screwdriver and slightly sliding the piece up. Next, remove the larger plastic piece by spreading inside clips apart. Or leave it on, it will come off when the mirror is removed

Remove Mirror:
Twist the mirror & mount assembly (and bottom cover if not removed above) 1/6 turn counter-clockwise to the left.

Mirror Harness Wiring:
"Key ON" is the pink with yellow stripe wire (+12V when the truck is ON).
The black wire is ground.
"Key off" power is either the dark blue/light green wire or the light green/dark blue wire. Double-check as it's not the same on all trucks.

Replacing Mirror:
First, place the top cover before replacing the mirror.
There's a hex bolt head attached to the windshield. On the arm, there is a nub, that you align up with a cut out above the hex head. Rotate the assembly about 1/6th clockwise to the right to line up the notch. Then push up against the hex head and then rotate the assembly counter-clockwise about 1/6th to the left.

I hope this helps you

MSundet

Reaction score
Carl,
Dash Cams Thread

Here's my basic instructions on getting to the mirror wiring & what leads to use

Wiring Cover Removal:
First, remove the smaller of the two plastic assembly at the base of the mirror, this can be done using a small screwdriver and slightly sliding the piece up. Next, remove the larger plastic piece by spreading inside clips apart. Or leave it on, it will come off when the mirror is removed

Remove Mirror:
Twist the mirror & mount assembly (and bottom cover if not removed above) 1/6 turn counter-clockwise to the left.

Mirror Harness Wiring:
"Key ON" is the pink with yellow stripe wire (+12V when the truck is ON).
The black wire is ground.
"Key off" power is either the dark blue/light green wire or the light green/dark blue wire. Double-check as it's not the same on all trucks.

Replacing Mirror:
First, place the top cover before replacing the mirror.
There's a hex bolt head attached to the windshield. On the arm, there is a nub, that you align up with a cut out above the hex head. Rotate the assembly about 1/6th clockwise to the right to line up the notch. Then push up against the hex head and then rotate the assembly counter-clockwise about 1/6th to the left.

I hope this helps you

All very helpful !! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestuarts

Reaction score
I installed BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K Dash Cam. It has a 4K camera in the front, and a 1080p camera in the rear window. This evening I will make a quick YouTube video showing how I installed it.

I ran power from AUX1 to a BlackVue battery pack, and I ran power from the battery pack to the cameras so the camera can keep running long after I turn off the vehicle.

I configured the AUX switch to be latching (not momentary), and I configured it to remember the state after powering off the vehicle so I don't have to turn it on every time.

The most difficult part was punching through the firewall and tapping into the AUX power distribution system under the hood. I hate drilling through the firewall, but I couldn't find an existing hole to reuse. I bought some rubber grommets to prevent chafing, and I hit the hole with a little sealant.

The BlackVue battery pack charges to 100% in about 40 minutes of driving which is my typical commute (before Covid-19). The BlackVue battery pack is expandable by daisy chaining batteries for more capacity.

Camera:

Battery pack:

thestuarts

Reaction score
I uploaded a video explaining how I installed my front and rear dash cameras and connected the power to the AUX 1 switch. YouTube is still processing it, so the 4k encoded version will be activated later, but I am going to bed.

IronByron

Reaction score
I installed BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K Dash Cam. It has a 4K camera in the front, and a 1080p camera in the rear window. This evening I will make a quick YouTube video showing how I installed it.

I ran power from AUX1 to a BlackVue battery pack, and I ran power from the battery pack to the cameras so the camera can keep running long after I turn off the vehicle.

I configured the AUX switch to be latching (not momentary), and I configured it to remember the state after powering off the vehicle so I don't have to turn it on every time.

The most difficult part was punching through the firewall and tapping into the AUX power distribution system under the hood. I hate drilling through the firewall, but I couldn't find an existing hole to reuse. I bought some rubber grommets to prevent chafing, and I hit the hole with a little sealant.

The BlackVue battery pack charges to 100% in about 40 minutes of driving which is my typical commute (before Covid-19). The BlackVue battery pack is expandable by daisy chaining batteries for more capacity.

Camera:

Battery pack:

You had to drill through your FW to access the upfitter switch controlled power? I thought I had seen in the documentation that they had a route into the cab already (aside from the switches themselves). That sucks. I have the aux switches and have some future plans but wasn’t expecting to have to do my own drilling.

thestuarts

Reaction score
You had to drill through your FW to access the upfitter switch controlled power? I thought I had seen in the documentation that they had a route into the cab already (aside from the switches themselves). That sucks. I have the aux switches and have some future plans but wasn’t expecting to have to do my own drilling.

The instructions that came with my upfitter switches do not mention a route through the firewall. I looked for one, but I could have missed it. If I find out there is a factory hole through the firewall, I will update the video.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Carl,
Dash Cams Thread

Thanks John. That thread is loaded with info. I have a Blackvue camera, it will be on its third vehicle. I'm still not 100% confident in removing the plastic radar cover. I looked in the owners manual but cant seem to locate the interior fuse box. am I blind?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I can't help you as my 2020 just arrived at the dealer today - I won't take possession until next week
I understand it has a fuse box behind the lower knee panel. Removed by 2 screws, one at each bottom end.

IronByron

Reaction score
The instructions that came with my upfitter switches do not mention a route through the firewall. I looked for one, but I could have missed it. If I find out there is a factory hole through the firewall, I will update the video.

I looked back through my docs. Looks like they mention under location “D” in the diagram, “Port Upfitters Connectors, Under
Dash Board near park brake bracket / Steering Column”. I think there is a power wire controlled by the designated “pto” aux switch (which I think is the last switch, would have to check docs). Could be wrong, reading schematics on my phone isn’t ideal.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I looked back through my docs. Looks like they mention under location “D” in the diagram, “Port Upfitters Connectors, Under
Dash Board near park brake bracket / Steering Column”. I think there is a power wire controlled by the designated “pto” aux switch (which I think is the last switch, would have to check docs). Could be wrong, reading schematics on my phone isn’t ideal.

I just checked that location on my 2019. I see one unused (white) connector near the location "D" near the park bracket/steering column. However, I have doubts this connector is powered by the last switch (AUX 6) because I've already wired AUX 6 to a 2WD LOW device. AUX 6 is powered by port #2 in the light-gray AUX connector under the hood.

Here are the AUX instructions that I used.

20200501_061951.jpg

1588339982111.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked that location on my 2019. I see one unused (white) connector near the location "D" near the park bracket/steering column. However, I have doubts this connector is powered by the last switch (AUX 6) because I've already wired AUX 6 to a 2WD LOW device. AUX 6 is powered by port #2 in the light-gray AUX connector under the hood.

Here are the AUX instructions that I used.

View attachment 4244

View attachment 4245

Doesn't the Spare G425 come from that grayt/white (D) connector above the parking brake?

Couldn't Pin 2 grey for AUX #6 just be connected to Pin 4 Grey and then picked up inside the cab?

Might be worth throwing a meter on Pin 5 to the underhood pin # lt grey.

1588398252690.png

I have a 2WD low kit to install too.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I found the Grey connector.

Higher up, horizontally aligned with the headlight switch and CAN bus blocks, close to the firewall.

The Upfitter/Aux cable kit that came with my truck was the clue. In addition to the individual pinned wires for under the hood, there are two wired plugs (and some extra smaller pinned wires).

One is black (fis the truck white connector)

The other is Light Grey (fits Light Grey)

I should get a better pic, but you can see the Violet/Yellow wire there in the grey head. The wires on the other end of those headers are just blunt cut unsealed/bare.

20200502_000748.jpg

connectors.jpg

20200502_001144.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That grey jumper plug is also what brings power to the rear frame blunt cut Ignition and BAT wires. Explains why I've seen a few posts of owners not measuring any voltage there.

De-pin #1 and #4 if you need ignition or BAT inside the cab. I will probably use those for my dash cam.

1588402602738.png

Attachments

• 1588401952642.png
    1588401952642.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread