Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins Maintenance Costs

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Anyone get a breakdown of maintenance costs of the normal Cummins vs the Hemi? Or out of warranty costs for things like the fuel injectors? Or how the extended warranty costs change?

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Also does the 68RFE shift any better than the HO Aisin? Wife was not happy with the HO's Aisin somewhat abrupt shifting vs the ZF 8 speed in the Hemi but haven't had a chance to test drive the "normal" cummins yet.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Maintenance is a bit of a wash if you do your own oil, fluids and filters changes. Cummins is at 15000 oil change interval. Def fluid is $16 for every 4000 miles or so. Had a diesel, had a hemi, back into a diesel now as tow capacity and fuel economy works out better for me. 2500 is a daily driver and weekend boat warrior......
The 68RFE is no 8 speed zf in terms of smooth shifting but it’s very comfortable on highways between 4,5 and 6th gears.

Pros and cons to each...test drive a warmed up 2500 before making final decision.

archer75

Reaction score
I spend $9.99 on def once, maybe twice a year. Oil change I do yearly and it costs me about $65. Fuel filters I do about every year and a half and I buy the filters when their on sale, about $80 for the set. Injectors aren't something you have to change often. And if you take good care of your truck they should last a very long time.
So for me maintenance is pretty cheap. Averaging it out it's about $120/year or so.

Aisin is an excellent transmission. And being a heavy duty truck I wouldn't expect the shift feel or ride of a half ton. They're built for towing. I have the 68RFE. It can shift smooth or rough depending on the circumstances i'm in. Even should the aisin shifts rough i'd still go for it.

Last edited:

Zinga

Reaction score
I calculated the DIY maintenance costs to be about $300 per year, excluding tax and shipping. It might be a little lower, depending on the actual fluid change interval and requirements of the AISIN.

Zinga

Reaction score
For my truck, here are the detailed DIY maintenance costs per year that I gonkulated.
I probably won't exceed 10,000 miles per year. After 4 years, it'll cost about $1,240 which averages a little over $300 per year.

Users who are viewing this thread