Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

Florotory

Reaction score
Won't last long, did it a couple of times before I could get it in the shop, comes right back

A little over 2 months so far and no noise. Longer than some people that replaced parts. I’ll replace when something breaks or there’s a permanent fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
I've read this from the beginning and I'm resurrecting it because mine is having this problem as well.

Mine is a 2023 with 3k miles. It first started after a cold front moved in. Squeeled like crazy in the morning startup.

A quick summary of this entire thread for those that don't want to go back and read:

This is an ongoing issue that dealers/ram can't seem to solve. Some have mostly temporary (although some people report permanent fix and haven't been back since to confirm later) with replacing the belt with gates K081244HD and the gates tensioner

It seems that even with the replacement of the belt/tensioner the noise still comes back after a while.

There were some reports to remove any paint off the crankshaft pulleys but STAR has now said do NOT do this as it results in other potential problems.

The only thing on this thread that people are doing right now is applying a dab (nickel size) worth of dielectric grease to the RIBBED side of the belt. This seems to work for a few thousand miles. (Side note do NOT put on a bunch of grease one person had reported that his belt started slipping like crazy while towing but he put more than a nickel amount).

One person in this thread has got their vehicle bought back under lemon law because of this issue.

Dealers seem to dismiss/ignore the issue as normal or not able to replicate. Some just throw parts at the problem ( belts/tensioners/idler pulley/ac pulley/crankshaft pulley/bearings ), none of which seem to resolve the issue permanently.

If anyone in this thread has any updates on your squeel. Please let us know! I'm off to apply a bit of grease....

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a TSB for this telling the dealer to replace the crank pully. After waiting months for the part, now my dealer is "too short on techs" to schedule the work. Which means someone else got the part that was sitting on the shelf for my truck.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
Is this a confirmed fix? I've read crank pulleys been replaced by the dealer in this thread and the sound still came back.

Razzman

Reaction score
Mine went back three times for it over a year ago. Last time they again changed the belt and tensioner and it has not come back. If they did anything else i'm not aware of it.

Florotory

Reaction score
Is this a confirmed fix? I've read crank pulleys been replaced by the dealer in this thread and the sound still came back.
I’ve heard the same as far as it being fixed multiple ways but comes back. I just put a tiny amount of Di grease if I hear it and it usually stops for the season. Did it last year about this time and it went away till the first cold the other day.

Lift89

Reaction score
Hey all. I had the TSB done replacing the harmonic balancer and new belt. So far 4 weeks later and freezing temps the squeak/chirp is totally gone. The TSB worked 100%

Florotory

Reaction score
Hey all. I had the TSB done replacing the harmonic balancer and new belt. So far 4 weeks later and freezing temps the squeak/chirp is totally gone. The TSB worked 100%

Never messed with TSB before so excuse the dumb question. To have it done do I just need to go to dealer and have them hear the squeak and they perform the TSB or how does that work? Thanks

flan

Reaction score
Never messed with TSB before so excuse the dumb question. To have it done do I just need to go to dealer and have them hear the squeak and they perform the TSB or how does that work? Thanks

Yes, as long as you are within your warranty period. It’s engine related so I’d think it falls into the 5yr/100k mile warranty.

Florotory

Reaction score
Yes, as long as you are within your warranty period. It’s engine related so I’d think it falls into the 5yr/100k mike warranty.

Great thank you

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

My dealer is usually OK with TSB stuff if I press the issue. The chipmunk had to be noted 3 times and with a video to get them to do anything.

That said, between "backorder" parts, then no techs, then my work schedule, I still haven't gotten it done.

Users who are viewing this thread