Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins Break in period

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess you and I have different levels of reading comprehension, but thanks for the assist!

To me and millions of others at the time, this meant work the truck to break it in.

Yes that means to work the motor, but not the true story you claimed " back then the owners manual actually suggested you hook to a load and tow immediately in order to break in the engine and rear end." It says nothing about towing immediately, and still tells you to not tow the first 500 miles or exceed 50 mph the 500 miles towing.

If you turn the page you would have read the Caution and not spread misinformation.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yes that means to work the motor, but not the true story you claimed " back then the owners manual actually suggested you hook to a load and tow immediately in order to break in the engine and rear end." It says nothing about towing immediately, and still tells you to not tow the first 500 miles or exceed 50 mph the 500 miles towing.

If you turn the page you would have read the Caution and not spread misinformation.

So, work the motor but don't work the motor? Post above literally contradicts itself. Misinformation? Ok Jen Psaki!

Youre a sharp one!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So, work the motor but don't work the motor? Post above literally contradicts itself.

Gotcha. Youre a sharp one!

It’s hardly contradictory, or complex.

Working the motor during the first 6000 miles will help it break in faster, but for the first 500 miles don’t tow. When you do tow, limit your speed to 50 mph for the first 500 miles. So you can tow for 5500 of the first 6000 miles, that’s over 90% of the miles. Nothing says you can’t work the motor the first 500 miles ether, just no towing. It’s that simple, not sure how it contradicts itself, or why you feel the need to pretend it’s complicated or that the recommendation didn’t exist 18 years ago.

They usually write the owners manuals for the lowest common denominator, but they exceeded your comprehension abilities on this one. Maybe they should write it with crayons for you.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
It’s hardly contradictory, or complex.

Working the motor during the first 6000 miles will help it break in faster, but for the first 500 miles don’t tow. When you do tow, limit your speed to 50 mph for the first 500 miles. So you can tow for 5500 of the first 6000 miles, that’s over 90% of the miles. Nothing says you can’t work the motor the first 500 miles ether, just no towing. It’s that simple, not sure how it contradicts itself, or why you feel the need to pretend it’s complicated or that the recommendation didn’t exist 18 years ago.

They usually write the owners manuals for the lowest common denominator, but they exceeded your comprehension abilities on this one. Maybe they should write it with crayons for you.

Tell us more, Sharpie! Like the time you said Ram doesn't know what it's talking about with max coolant temp. But then you said they did. Then you said they didn't.

We're eager to learn but your Bidenomics way of teaching don't translate, little buddy!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Tell us more, Sharpie! Like the time you said Ram doesn't know what it's talking about with max coolant temp. But then you said they did. Then you said they didn't.

We're eager to learn but your Bidenomics way of teaching don't translate, little buddy!

Comprehension just isn’t your strong suit. I never said Ram was wrong, I pointed out the differences in Ram published specs and Cummins published specs… nothing more or less. It was just too much for you to understand, that’s all.

At least you provide plenty of comic relief to offset your misinformation.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Comprehension just isn’t your strong suit. I never said Ram was wrong, I pointed out the differences in Ram published specs and Cummins published specs… nothing more or less. It was just too much for you to understand, that’s all.

At least you provide plenty of comic relief to offset your misinformation.

Thanks Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread