Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins Break in period

Status
Not open for further replies.

arude

Reaction score
I have the 2019 2500 that i am trying to get enough mileage on to start some test tows of my TT prior to a long trip in August. After reading the owners manual it states that we need 500 miles before a tow and then 500 miles towing at 50 miles an hour. While I clearly want to get the truck broken in before towing and 500 miles seems reasonable, 500 miles towing at 50 miles an hour does not sound practical or bearable all things considered. So my questions is if the 500 miles at 50 towing actually necessary and what happens if you go lets say 60 rather than 50? 60 give or take a few MPH is about what i usually do on the interstates anyway.

Don-T

Reaction score
The break-in is for the rear end ring and pinion gears, not for the engine. The rear ends have been known to get noisy if not broken in properly. The engine doesn't need the break-in at low speeds and low loads. It will break-in once you start towing your trailer.

arude

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info. I will do the best i can although towing for so long at such a low speed may get me run over..

jpaeth

Reaction score
I hooked up my trailer 2 days after I picked mine up... I looked in the manual at the engine break-in and missed the part about the drive train.. Hope I didn't mess things up too bad

jpaeth

Reaction score
I did'nt even bother with any sort of break in period and towed right away. 4 years later it's still fine.
I towed right away with my '15 1500, and much closer to the rated limit of the truck as well. Never had an issue with that truck either so I can't say I'm overly worried. I do, however, plan on keeping this truck for a loong time so I'm more aware of things like this :)

foneguy

Reaction score
well once i get the truck im sure i wont have 500 miles till i bring home my fifth wheel from the shop

AKDoug

Reaction score
I had to ignore it. There was simply no way to safely tow 500 miles at 50mph. I have one road choice and it is 65mph. I'd have to go buy a couple of those slow vehicle triangles to keep from getting run over.

GottaLuvLife

Reaction score
I have the 2019 2500 that i am trying to get enough mileage on to start some test tows of my TT prior to a long trip in August. After reading the owners manual it states that we need 500 miles before a tow and then 500 miles towing at 50 miles an hour. While I clearly want to get the truck broken in before towing and 500 miles seems reasonable, 500 miles towing at 50 miles an hour does not sound practical or bearable all things considered. So my questions is if the 500 miles at 50 towing actually necessary and what happens if you go lets say 60 rather than 50? 60 give or take a few MPH is about what i usually do on the interstates anyway.
We asked this question to Truck Salesman at local dealer (seemed knowledgeable) and he stated there is no break-in period for Ram 2500 cummins we were looking at.

foneguy

Reaction score
well i don’t have time for that type of towing. i pick up my fifth wheel in a couple weeks to bring home i’ll give it a 45 mile 70mph break in

Finn5033

Reaction score
Just got my truck, it had 120 miles on it when I took it on a 600 mile round trip towing the camper. My salesman was very knowledgeable and new that I was leaving for a trip the day after I picked it up and he didn’t say anything about a break in period.

jebruns

Reaction score
Old thread you dug up here! There is no break in for the motor, per se. But the owners manual does have some towing breakin recommendations. I decided to follow the manuals recommendations personally. Here's what my 22 2500 manual says:

 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just got my truck, it had 120 miles on it when I took it on a 600 mile round trip towing the camper. My salesman was very knowledgeable and new that I was leaving for a trip the day after I picked it up and he didn’t say anything about a break in period.
Most salesman hardly know how to read the brochure let alone the owners manual never believe a salesman

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Old thread you dug up here! There is no break in for the motor, per se. But the owners manual does have some towing breakin recommendations. I decided to follow the manuals recommendations personally. Here's what my 22 2500 manual says:

 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

This is a change from the mid 00's trucks. I had a brand new 2006 cummins 2500 and back then the owners manual actually suggested you hook to a load and tow immediately in order to break in the engine and rear end. True story.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hook it and book it.

That said, if towing heavy, I'd probably try to get a little ring and pinion wear settled in first.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a change from the mid 00's trucks. I had a brand new 2006 cummins 2500 and back then the owners manual actually suggested you hook to a load and tow immediately in order to break in the engine and rear end. True story.

Not according to the 2005 owners manual that came with my truck, or the 2006 owners manual that came with Dad's 2500. It does tell you that light operation will extend the break-in period for the engine, but nothing about towing immediately.

This is from the 2006 2500 owners manual, and is nearly identical to the verbiage in the current owners manuals regarding engine and drivetrain break-in.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

I bought my 05 used with 10K miles on it, so I didn't do the break-in but my dad went on a couple drives just to get the 500 miles without towing, then 500 with towing out of the way before the 2005 hunting season.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Not according to the 2005 owners manual that came with my truck, or the 2006 owners manual that came with Dad's 2500. It does tell you that light operation will extend the break-in period for the engine, but nothing about towing immediately.

This is from the 2006 2500 owners manual, and is nearly identical to the verbiage in the current owners manuals regarding engine and drivetrain break-in.

View attachment 61572
View attachment 61573

I bought my 05 used with 10K miles on it, so I didn't do the break-in but my dad went on a couple drives just to get the 500 miles without towing, then 500 with towing out of the way before the 2005 hunting season.

I guess you and I have different levels of reading comprehension, but thanks for the assist!

To me and millions of others at the time, this meant work the truck to break it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread