Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins 6.7 Oil Analysis Thread

g00fy

Reaction score
Sent a sample of oil from my 2nd oil change @ 10,000 to blackstone to see how things are looking. I've seen on other forums there's sometimes a dedicated thread where people can post their oil analysis for other members to compare with maybe that's what we can do with this thread. Here's mine:

oil analysis.jpg

Should be noted there's a Typo, i use Rotella T6 5w40.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sent a sample of oil from my 2nd oil change @ 10,000 to blackstone to see how things are looking. I've seen on other forums there's sometimes a dedicated thread where people can post their oil analysis for other members to compare with maybe that's what we can do with this thread. Here's mine:

Should be noted there's a Typo, i use Rotella T6 5w40.

Did you confirm "typo" or did they actually measure 15w/40?

g00fy

Reaction score
Well, i know the oil i sent them was T6 5w40, i can't say what they measured it as. Maybe i'll give them a call when i have a free minute to find out if it makes any difference.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When its measured its hot so the 40 is the only thing that is really measured....

thats a great analysis are you going longer on the oil or was that when it was dumped? Ill be doing my analysis on my current (second)oil change at about 12k miles but i don't see why i cant got to 14k miles on the oil

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm going to follow the factory recommended oil change interval of 10,000 miles. I had done a "break in" drain & fill at 1,000 miles, so I only technically went 9,100 miles on the oil that was sent out in this sample.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be lucky to hit 5000 when my 12 months pop.

Is it still recommended to forego the first one?

Sent from my work avoidance device

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
These are my two reports I have sent in so far, I have a third oil change ready to send in, just haven't had the time yet. Note the Kirkland 15-40. After discovering that I need 10 weight per the TSB, as of this last oil change I switched to Rotella T6 5-40, so the next sample will reflect that. I'll post the third one when I get it back...

I have three extra cases of kirkland oil as it was on sale for $23 per case of 3 Gal... I'll return those to Costco on my next trip out.

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 57
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 57

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm going to follow the factory recommended oil change interval of 10,000 miles. I had done a "break in" drain & fill at 1,000 miles, so I only technically went 9,100 miles on the oil that was sent out in this sample.
Where do you see 10,000 miles for factory recommendation? In my owners manual it states 24,000km (15k miles) for oil change and fuel filters i hit millage before the year is up

g00fy

Reaction score
Where do you see 10,000 miles for factory recommendation? In my owners manual it states 24,000km (15k miles) for oil change and fuel filters i hit millage before the year is up
Your right the manual says 15k but I recall seeing on the mopar owners page 10k and the evic oil life gauge was also at about 0% at 10k. I'm gonna stick with 10k to do oil changes and fuel filter changes, it's easier to keep track of and I like the extra peace of mind.

roegs

Reaction score
So are all you guys doing your first oil change before the recommend service interval?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Your right the manual says 15k but I recall seeing on the mopar owners page 10k and the evic oil life gauge was also at about 0% at 10k. I'm gonna stick with 10k to do oil changes and fuel filter changes, it's easier to keep track of and I like the extra peace of mind.
Hmm mine was at 14% at 12k miles and it was worked pretty good in that period

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
So are all you guys doing your first oil change before the recommend service interval?
I did the first ever oil change from whatever was in there from the factory to the Kirkland at 7500 miles. I figured I'm not going to go all the way to 15k on the factory oil being that break-in is a thing, even though diesels aren't really broken in until a good 30-50k miles are in her. Everyone does it differently, as far as warranty and stuff, as long as you follow the manual you're good. I and some others like to go the extra miles just in case/peace of mind.

as far as the gauge in the cluster telling you percentage, that's based on 15k miles.

GBB

Reaction score
Always change my factory oil around 2000 miles..differentials also. Then it’s every 10,000 for oil and fuel filters

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
as far as the gauge in the cluster telling you percentage, that's based on 15k miles.
Thats wrong the oil life monitor is based on how it is driven and in what temps its driven thats how it monitors the oil quality and it will adjust the life remaining accordingly to a maximum of 15k miles (24000km)

flan

Reaction score
I won’t do 15k miles a year so I just do it annually regardless.

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
Thats wrong the oil life monitor is based on how it is driven and in what temps its driven thats how it monitors the oil quality and it will adjust the life remaining accordingly to a maximum of 15k miles (24000km)
Gotcha. Guess I'm using it as intended then, as 0% is always on point at 15k miles... I go through that number in a month and a half depending on how hard I run. lol

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Gotcha. Guess I'm using it as intended then, as 0% is always on point at 15k miles... I go through that number in a month and a half depending on how hard I run. lol
Your running highway hauling im assuming? That would be why your running the full 15k with the oil life its the ideal situation for the oil

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
Your running highway hauling i'm assuming? That would be why your running the full 15k with the oil life its the ideal situation for the oil
yes, I haul RVs as a business. 85-95% highway driving 62-65 MPH while loaded 72-[not gonna admit] it while empty. Fun fact, you cannot set the cruise control higher than 85. ;-)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, I haul RVs as a business. 85-95% highway driving 62-65 MPH while loaded 72-[not gonna admit] it while empty. Fun fact, you cannot set the cruise control higher than 85. ;-)

I can. Don't know why, but I can. Probably one of the "limiter" settings I messed with trying to get rid of the actual 102MPH limiter.

For those that can't set it over 85, you can set it @85 or less, and bump it up to the limiter.

Users who are viewing this thread