Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CTD oil change at 7500 miles?

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
My Yota dealership days helped inform me about what saving a dollar on a Fram eventually costed most 22RE owners in timing chain swaps. Rotella T6 & Mopar filter at 6kmi here just cuz I'm OCD. Be annual for me since it only gets 8000mi/yr

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I know I might be wasting money but I'm changing mine every 5000 miles with Rotella T6 5W40 and Mopar Oil Filters ($14)
I just did my 2nd oil change and 1st fuel filter change, I'm planning to do that every 2nd oil change.
Probably way over kill but I do my own service and it's cheap insurance

Rockwell

Reaction score
I have my rams oil changed at the dealer every 2500 miles or 4000 kms. Oil and filter is cheap compared to an engine Rebuild or replacement.

Dwilly

Reaction score
I have my rams oil changed at the dealer every 2500 miles or 4000 kms. Oil and filter is cheap compared to an engine Rebuild or replacement.
That is a rediculous waste of funds IMO. But if it makes you happy go for it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If you're that concerned about the engine, you should have regular oil analysis performed and change it on the recommended schedule.

I agree, huge waste of resources and money, but it's your truck.

Dwilly

Reaction score
Its literally 6x more oil changes than what Cummins recommends. Its borderline insanity lol. You're killing the planet bro!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
$40 each in Canada. Which is rediculous. Fram TG is made for 15,000 mile oil changes. $14. 2nd one I've put on.
Wix xp 24$ at any autoparts store better than fram and just as good as the fleetgaurd (wix used to make the mopar filters)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats actually worse because of the detergents the first 3k km will show more wear contaminates in the oil than the remaining 21k km acording to many oil analysis records

Rockwell

Reaction score
None of my cars past 5000 kms with out an oil change. Never had an engine failure in 35 years.
15k miles on an oil and filter, never!
Air filters 15k kms or 8k miles.
waste of money? Maybe?
peace of mind for me

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
None of my cars past 5000 kms with out an oil change. Never had an engine failure in 35 years.
15k miles on an oil and filter, never!
Air filters 15k kms or 8k miles.
waste of money? Maybe?
peace of mind for me
You are living the old thought process meant for old non detergent dino oil…. Get oil analysis it will give you real peace of mind unless you only go 5k a year then it would make sense…. I put about 30-35k km a year on my truck if i were to do the same ------- oil intervals as you it would cost me 1800-2100$ a year in oil/filters doing it myself….. and for what its worth everybody i know with high millage cummins trucks do extended intervals as per oil analysis recommendations ( one of the guys had 1.8 million on the OEM engine last time i checked and he still runs it daily hauling)

[mod: please don't be insulting to other members]

[H3LZSN1P3R: Looks like i have been a bad boy, sorry if i hurt anyones feelings ]

Ps… not taunting you Brutal just trying to repent my sins

Last edited:

Rockwell

Reaction score
You are living the old thought process meant for old non detergent dino oil…. Get oil analysis it will give you real peace of mind unless you only go 5k a year then it would make sense…. I put about 30-35k km a year on my truck if i were to do the same stupid oil intervals as you it would cost me 1800-2100$ a year in oil/filters doing it myself….. and for what its worth everybody i know with high millage cummins trucks do extended intervals as per oil analysis recommendations ( one of the guys had 1.8 million on the OEM engine last time i checked and he still runs it daily hauling)
My truck is parked,
my previous truck did 28k kms in 5 1/2 years. I just sold my previous truck, as new 2016 with 28kms and I mean as new. The truck looked drove and smelled like the day I bought it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My truck is parked,
my previous truck did 28k kms in 5 1/2 years. I just sold my previous truck, as new 2016 with 28kms and I mean as new. The truck looked drove and smelled like the day I bought it.
That makes more sence lol

Users who are viewing this thread