Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CTD oil change at 7500 miles?

Razzman

Reaction score
So I took the truck to the dealer today for a chirping noise under the hood on startup, sounds like a belt tensioner. So while there the service guy says i need an oil change to which I stated the manual states 15K and he says no they say 7500 now. Never heard this, has anyone else? I didn't have him to it as it's only got 7438 on the odo.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I took the truck to the dealer today for a chirping noise under the hood on startup, sounds like a belt tensioner. So while there the service guy says i need an oil change to which I stated the manual states 15K and he says no they say 7500 now. Never heard this, has anyone else? I didn't have him to it as it's only got 7438 on the odo.
Thats just dealer tactics to sell more oilchanges, mine tried the same stating that the 24,000km intervals didnt count for us as the region we are in makes it severe duty and needed it every 12,000km, i then proceeded to show him the info that states severe duty still states 24,000km… he got mad at me saying the info was wrong and RAM changed the info but could not show me proof…

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
olm is pretty accurate based on usage. I follow that, or 12k mile.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Unless they can show you a TSB changing what the manual says, it's 15K. Sounds like they are trying to make a quick buck to me.

CdnHO

Reaction score
They call that upselling and the service advisor gets a cut. BS in my opinion and that is why the more you know before going to the dealer, the better.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
15K or 12 Months (or when the gauge says to change it if sooner.)

That's what the manual and TSB show.
Perhaps you can chime in but from what i have been told these trucks actually just go by the mileage and thats all the gauge shows not a variant from driving conditions, I have not found any info to contradict that even though i would like to believe the gauge does vary depending on driving habits

Razzman

Reaction score
15K or 12 Months (or when the gauge says to change it if sooner.)

That's what the manual and TSB show.
Yup and that's what I intend to go by, I also assumed he was full of it and just trying to get cash from me.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I always changed oil and fuel filters at 10K in my 2017 CTD. Cheap insurance especially with the fuel pump/injectors.

Dwilly

Reaction score
Change it when the computer says so lol. 48,000 km on mine now. Just did my 2nd oil change. Had 37s on since 25,000km. Truck has not hiccupped at all.

Dwilly

Reaction score
Because I didn't spend $40 on fleetguard or Mopar?

Dwilly

Reaction score
$40 each in Canada. Which is rediculous. Fram TG is made for 15,000 mile oil changes. $14. 2nd one I've put on.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought everybody knew fram was the worst oil filter

Apparently not.

They're trying to redeem themselves with some new redesigned synthetic material filters but after reading on TDR about the wrecked engines and Cummins sending them a bill for a few, and seeing all the ugly cut open videos, they're dead to me.Of the new filters, all but the Ultraguard still have cardboard endcaps on the filter media.

TBH, I've not touched a Fram filter for longer then I can remember. Always used the OEM or recommended equivalent on all my vehicles for 30 years now. I certainly would never put one on a Cummins.

Fleetguard
Mopar
Baldwin
WIX
Donaldson
NAPA Gold

For Euro cars, OEM, Bosch, or Mann.

But never ever in a million years, no matter what they claim, would I ever use a Fram oil filter on my vehicles. Air or cabin filter maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread