Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crew cab vs Megan cab

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The 5th gen 1500 CC actually has more leg room than the mega cab but you have ZERO behind seat storage. I have an 06 2500 mega cab and absolutely LOVE the behind the seat storage. My friend has a '19 1500 Rebel CC and the added leg room is nice but for me the behind seat storage is more useful. As is the available room when everything's folded down, the few times I've ever needed that. I will get a mega cab when I finally pull the upgrade trigger.
I don't known that anyone knows when, but when the 5th Gen cab hits the HD's (2023?), that will likely be the end of the Mega.

DougB

Reaction score
I don't known that anyone knows when, but when the 5th Gen cab hits the HD's (2023?), that will likely be the end of the Mega.
Yep, that's my guess as well. Hence why I am likely going to order a '22 MC as we're hearing some tidbits about the few new things available for them. UC5 being what I was holding out for. Well and not wanting to spend $80k. UC5 makes that sting a little less. Maybe stock market will be back up come delivery of '22s.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
Yep, that's my guess as well. Hence why I am likely going to order a '22 MC as we're hearing some tidbits about the few new things available for them. UC5 being what I was holding out for. Well and not wanting to spend $80k. UC5 makes that sting a little less. Maybe stock market will be back up come delivery of '22s.

What in UC5 is supposed to be so much better than UC4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What in UC5 is supposed to be so much better than UC4?

UC4 processor is tapped out. That's why the 12" doesn't have all the maintenance data available.

UC5 will offer wireless AA and CarPlay, more (multiple) user customization of screens and more processing capacity overall. There's a link to the article in the Uconnect forum.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
The 5th gen 1500 CC actually has more leg room than the mega cab but you have ZERO behind seat storage. I have an 06 2500 mega cab and absolutely LOVE the behind the seat storage. My friend has a '19 1500 Rebel CC and the added leg room is nice but for me the behind seat storage is more useful. As is the available room when everything's folded down, the few times I've ever needed that. I will get a mega cab when I finally pull the upgrade trigger.
My bro got a 2020 CC 1500, I'll have to check out your claim when I get home.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Negative nanny here with way too much stock in the market........could very well tank BIGGLY making me cry once again. Easy come, easy go......just way too easy to go, these days. Waiting could cost you as costs increases with ram, seems to happen frequently. Get ordering. I really liked my 2500 but needed more truck. I really like this new one, so I should be happy for many years to come. I’m happy, and better yet, the wife is happy! Happy wife, happy life!

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
UC4 processor is tapped out. That's why the 12" doesn't have all the maintenance data available.

UC5 will offer wireless AA and CarPlay, more (multiple) user customization of screens and more processing capacity overall. There's a link to the article in the Uconnect forum.

Wireless CarPlay is overrated. I have it now w/ CPlay2air and actually stay plugged in more than unplugged. I don’t think ANY of these reasons would be cause to hold off buying just for UC5.

DougB

Reaction score
Negative nanny here with way too much stock in the market........could very well tank BIGGLY making me cry once again. Easy come, easy go......just way too easy to go, these days. Waiting could cost you as costs increases with ram, seems to happen frequently. Get ordering. I really liked my 2500 but needed more truck. I really like this new one, so I should be happy for many years to come. I’m happy, and better yet, the wife is happy! Happy wife, happy life!
I agree. This market could implode at any time it seems. My company announces earnings next week so hoping that sparks the stock up again and I can lock in enough for the new truck. We just bought a travel trailer so buying the new truck so soon is a bit of a financial shock and higher stock $ will help offset all of that. Good news is my '06 should fetch more in the used market than I was figuring on 6 months ago.

I do expect '22s to be higher price but hopefully not significantly higher. And hoping the deal-making dealers are still in those moods.

Wireless CarPlay is overrated. I have it now w/ CPlay2air and actually stay plugged in more than unplugged. I don’t think ANY of these reasons would be cause to hold off buying just for UC5.

Wireless CarPlay was a minor part in my holding off ordering a new truck to see if UC5 came out. Have you compared factory integrated wireless CP with these after market wireless CP dongle/adapters? Wireless CarPlay with the wireless charging pad and same performance as plugged in is the goal, but if wireless CP introduces lag or reduced capability, I'm fine with plugged still. The faster hardware and future upgradability were more compelling reasons to me to wait for UC5.

All in all, I do not NEED a new truck, it's a pure WANT play, so I have had the luxury to make decisions to hold off spending $80k for minor things like UC5 that will make the truck even more perfect.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
I agree. This market could implode at any time it seems. My company announces earnings next week so hoping that sparks the stock up again and I can lock in enough for the new truck. We just bought a travel trailer so buying the new truck so soon is a bit of a financial shock and higher stock $ will help offset all of that. Good news is my '06 should fetch more in the used market than I was figuring on 6 months ago.

I do expect '22s to be higher price but hopefully not significantly higher. And hoping the deal-making dealers are still in those moods.

Wireless CarPlay was a minor part in my holding off ordering a new truck to see if UC5 came out. Have you compared factory integrated wireless CP with these after market wireless CP dongle/adapters? Wireless CarPlay with the wireless charging pad and same performance as plugged in is the goal, but if wireless CP introduces lag or reduced capability, I'm fine with plugged still. The faster hardware and future upgradability were more compelling reasons to me to wait for UC5.

All in all, I do not NEED a new truck, it's a pure WANT play, so I have had the luxury to make decisions to hold off spending $80k for minor things like UC5 that will make the truck even more perfect.

I haven’t witnessed OEM wireless CarPlay but I’m happy with aftermarket. The ONLY issue I’ve had is when using wireless and someone calls to FaceTime w/ my kids in backseat, it flakes out (the person calling can’t see us). So, I’ll have to unplug the wireless box and call them back. Also, it does take up 1 of the USB ports where the OEM wireless wouldn’t. Neither of these are critical issues. It’s nice to be able to wireless charge while connected to CarPlay. And, as far as the different RAM screen themes, I do think it’s neat, and would like to have it, but after I get set on one, the chances I change to another are very slim.

DougB

Reaction score
I haven’t witnessed OEM wireless CarPlay but I’m happy with aftermarket. The ONLY issue I’ve had is when using wireless and someone calls to FaceTime w/ my kids in backseat, it flakes out (the person calling can’t see us). So, I’ll have to unplug the wireless box and call them back. Also, it does take up 1 of the USB ports where the OEM wireless wouldn’t. Neither of these are critical issues. It’s nice to be able to wireless charge while connected to CarPlay. And, as far as the different RAM screen themes, I do think it’s neat, and would like to have it, but after I get set on one, the chances I change to another are very slim.

Thanks for the feedback. Those issues do seem pretty minor. I agree, once customizations/themes are set, that's not something I usually change.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
So RAM is killing off the Mega Cab? I'm surprised to hear this as I was under the impression it was very popular.

DougB

Reaction score
So RAM is killing off the Mega Cab? I'm surprised to hear this as I was under the impression it was very popular.
Just speculation that it’ll go away once the HD’s change to the 5th gen body, like the 1500, where per the numbers the crew cab has more leg room than the mega cab. But the space behind the seat is lost.

DougB

Reaction score
I just read on another forum that a dealer could not configure a '22 mega cab except with the DRW option. Hopefully, just a bug in the configurator.

Also, the site speculated that the '23 HDs will move 5th gen, but again just speculation.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I know cubic feet interior space is better on the 5th gen 1500's but the extra backseat storage is a very popular feature. I know alot of folks with kids prefer the Mega due to the extra storage and larger area. Plus the mega is a very popular option in the market. I'd be surprised to see RAM just cancel this after 10+ years?

DougB

Reaction score
I know cubic feet interior space is better on the 5th gen 1500's but the extra backseat storage is a very popular feature. I know alot of folks with kids prefer the Mega due to the extra storage and larger area. Plus the mega is a very popular option in the market. I'd be surprised to see RAM just cancel this after 10+ years?
Exactly why I got and love the mega cab = behind/under seat storage. When I got mine in '08 the only option was the quad cab or mega cab so with a family the mega cab made most practical sense. I've looked at the HD crew and the 1500 5th gen crew, and still prefer the mega cab simply for the behind the seat storage. I use that so frequently that I would not know what to do otherwise. I used under the seat as well for backpacks, umbrellas, CB antenna.

I've reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge about a '22 3500 SRW MC and will see if he has trouble configuring one. Might be a bug and would get cleared up to allow MC on 2500/3500 as on the '21.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly why I got and love the mega cab = behind/under seat storage. When I got mine in '08 the only option was the quad cab or mega cab so with a family the mega cab made most practical sense. I've looked at the HD crew and the 1500 5th gen crew, and still prefer the mega cab simply for the behind the seat storage. I use that so frequently that I would not know what to do otherwise. I used under the seat as well for backpacks, umbrellas, CB antenna.

I've reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge about a '22 3500 SRW MC and will see if he has trouble configuring one. Might be a bug and would get cleared up to allow MC on 2500/3500 as on the '21.

While you're at it, find out what trans options are available. There's so much speculation and BS floating around right now...

DougB

Reaction score
While you're at it, find out what trans options are available. There's so much speculation and BS floating around right now...
This was the reply I received today:

At this time, we do not have any additional information about the new packages, products, or pricing. I have seen many of the same 2021 packages in the system, but not any real details for what 2022 holds.

Sounds like the system may not be fully populated yet for 2022 orders. Hopefully, in a few weeks we’ll get clear news.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I'd get a 3500 mega if I could get the 50gal tank. Really want that bigger tank for towing.

Users who are viewing this thread