Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

mostcorey95

Reaction score
{MOD: Thread starter merged into this thread]

Well just so everyone knows FCA one the 21 models are no longer using the cp4. In the start FCA is the one who choose to go with Bosch cp4 and leave the cp3. Well Cummins has made a judgement call and asked FCA to support their decision to discontinue the cp4 in favor of a new pump. They are returning the cp3 pumps in the 21. Also their is talk of them switching to denso in the next 3 years and using a hp4 which is as robust as the cp3 is. The HP4 can also be found in the newer 17 and up duramax. Also they are working on a recall for the egr valve due to its likelihood of it rotating and blocking all egr flow. See picture below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egr issue with star online publication

Last edited:

Darkone

Reaction score
I just Posted in the other thread about my 21. It was delivered to the dealer today, and I snapped a picture of the pump, looks like a cp3 to me. 4CC5A7D2-22C2-4ED7-BDD6-37E307E52507.jpegCAA4972E-EC31-4EF9-AD61-2C2C36EE86B8.jpeg

g00fy

Reaction score
I guess it'll be up to the NHTSA if they feel the injector pump is enough of a safety issue to force FCA to do a recall... If they don't hopefully Cummins will push FCA to at least issues a TSB which would probably work out pretty well for them, since the only guys who will ask for it will be the small percentage of enthusiasts like ourselves that know about it. Everyone else, the majority of owners, will continue to drive their trucks blissfully ignorant of the nightmare that is the CP4 until it either fails under warranty and they get lucky enough to have FCA pick up the tab, or it makes it past warranty and FCA can tell them sorry, you're out of warranty.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I guess it'll be up to the NHTSA if they feel the injector pump is enough of a safety issue to force FCA to do a recall... If they don't hopefully Cummins will push FCA to at least issues a TSB which would probably work out pretty well for them, since the only guys who will ask for it will be the small percentage of enthusiasts like ourselves that know about it. Everyone else, the majority of owners, will continue to drive their trucks blissfully ignorant of the nightmare that is the CP4 until it either fails under warranty and they get lucky enough to have FCA pick up the tab, or it makes it past warranty and FCA can tell them sorry, you're out of warranty.

That’s is very true. STAR is working to get a star online tsb out before end of year so Cummins can write it off as bad credit and start the new year fresh.

Cummins3

Reaction score
I would b happy with a TSB but recall would b better we won't have to fight with incompetent dealers to get it done.

D

Deleted member 80

I have seen photos of ISB 6.7 industrial engines(rear gear case)with CP4, so I think it was Cummins who made the bad call in the first place. I hope they enjoy their black eye, so they remember it for a while.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Are u in direct contact with them???? Is it star contact reliable?? Would be nice to hear from ram cares or fca

Yes I am in direct contact with him and have been for years. He has never said anything that’s hasn’t happened. FCA and Ram Cares really won’t have anything till a tsb or they agree to what star wants. Star has been testing things long before anything happens.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I have seen photos of ISB 6.7 industrial engines(rear gear case)with CP4, so I think it was Cummins who made the bad call in the first place. I hope they enjoy their black eye, so they remember it for a while.

The industrial engines also have large fuel conditioning modules that can filter out more water and they haven’t seen many failures on them from what I have heard. They also use a straight bio fuel which is better lubrications than ulsd.

Cummins3

Reaction score
That’s is very true. STAR is working to get a star online tsb out before end of year so Cummins can write it off as bad credit and start the new year fresh.

I sure hope u r right and we 19-20 guys find out about it thank keep us updated if u hear anything thanx

g00fy

Reaction score
The more i think about it, the more i feel like they're going to have to issue some sort of recall or TSB if they don't want to get sued.

Switching back to the CP3 is basically an admission by Cummins/FCA that the CP4 is defective, and if they don't do something to take care of those of us with the bastard CP4's they're gonna be opening themselves up to a hefty class action suit that will probably stipulate them having to install CP3's in our trucks on top of whatever monetary compensation they're gonna have to fork out and whatever legal fee's they'll have to cover.

Users who are viewing this thread