Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Xflight29

Reaction score
Agreed. From a financial standpoint, I really can't see FCA doing anything major. Not sure what the Ram Cares thing is all about, seems really vague.

I really like this truck, which is too bad because it is likely to get replaced once the supply issues are sorted out. I would probably stay with Ram though, it tows so well.

That being said, I really haven't shopped the other brands so they may be just as good.
By staying with Ram aren't you basically telling them its ok that they new about the pump issues. I can understand if you went with another brand because who could trust them anymore after this.

UglyViking

Reaction score
By staying with Ram aren't you basically telling them its ok that they new about the pump issues. I can understand if you went with another brand because who could trust them anymore after this.
People continue to say this but I've gotta say I don't understand the mentality. Yeah, sure you're kind of giving FCA "free advertising" by driving it around but really I can't imagine that does much for most people. I live in new england and Ford/GM are everywhere, Ram is way down in third place here, so it's not even a big deal.

That said, if you wanna make FCA "pay" for this mistake then the best thing to do is 1. never buy another FCA product new or from an FCA dealership 2. never get your vehicle serviced at a dealership except for free recalls/TSBs 3. tell everyone asking about the truck how FCA screwed you and caution them against going with it.

If you're planning on buying another truck every few years then by all means have at it, but if you're a long term buyer then why hurt yourself on trade only so you can have a product from another company they will try and screw you on something else. Sadly the days of companies building products for the long haul has mostly passed. Even Toyota and it's reputation for reliability is suffering with some issues in modern times. The almighty stockholder must be pleased and he only knows quarter to quarter profit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Everyone has had their say and there's no new information except for the constant trolling.

Now it is done. Stick a fork in it done.

If when there's a TSB or recall. We can start a new thread. Perhaps this one will get unlocked. Perhaps not.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares

@RamCares

It's been a long time coming, and we're still a bit in the dark on what pump FCA is going to install in our trucks with the announced Y78 recall.

When and if you are able, please do update us with more details.

... I'm opening this thread back up, let's keep things on track.

Last edited:

Nfryan

Reaction score
I pm’d ram cares about this as well for an update about a week ago and haven’t heard anything. Very interested in hearing news about a TSB for the issue.

flan

Reaction score
I pm’d ram cares about this as well for an update about a week ago and haven’t heard anything. Very interested in hearing news about a TSB for the issue.
You’re getting a new high pressure fuel pump jack..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You've missed the 40 threads about the Y78 recall?

To be fair, I did edit my post above as I wrongly assumed anyone paying attention heard about the recall.

agtcovert

Reaction score
You've missed the 40 threads about the Y78 recall?

To be fair, I did edit my post above as I wrongly assumed anyone paying attention heard about the recall.
I think, for those who've seen the threads and FCA notice, there's a lot of curiously about what actual pump will be installed. I know I am, to see if they're adapting the 21+.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think, for those who've seen the threads and FCA notice, there's a lot of curiously about what actual pump will be installed. I know I am, to see if they're adapting the 21+.
A salient point I've made numerous times including post #1206. My response above was provoked by the statement, "hearing news about a TSB for the issue."

TigerRP

Reaction score
I had the change to the software maybe 4 months ago. I run Power Service and I don’t let the tank get below 1/3. I was considering a changeout of the pump early next year.

Actually these two advanced notices look like they may replace entire engines? Maybe that’s just an identifier but it looks like whole engines.

Also this now has me worried, because it is a safety recall and with 240,000 vehicles needing to be done, that could take years. I don’t want to be going down a mountain out west and have it fail on me.

What do you all think? Just a worry wart?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I had the change to the software maybe 4 months ago. I run Power Service and I don’t let the tank get below 1/3. I was considering a changeout of the pump early next year.

Actually these two advanced notices look like they may replace entire engines? Maybe that’s just an identifier but it looks like whole engines.

Also this now has me worried, because it is a safety recall and with 240,000 vehicles needing to be done, that could take years. I don’t want to be going down a mountain out west and have it fail on me.

I'd wager a guess that they are going to look and see if there are metal shavings, if so they may replace the entire engine if bad enough. I don't expect them to swap out whole engines for a pump that has not yet failed, but who knows.

MEGA HO

Reaction score

Very unlikely that it will be a complete engine replacement. Changing the pump shouldn't take years but supplying all the pumps could

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I'd wager a guess that they are going to look and see if there are metal shavings, if so they may replace the entire engine if bad enough. I don't expect them to swap out whole engines for a pump that has not yet failed, but who knows.

That's the way I read it. Inspect, and if damage found to the engine and injectors, replace both HPFP and engine.

I'd also wager they're going to borescope cylinder walls and possible do oil analysis and would have to get Star approval for replacement engines if they find anything in the pump or fuel system. However, I think we all know these CP4 probably don't have any failure mode other that sudden and catastrophic.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I feel that they most-likely are having Bosh modify the CP4 with a new designed pump that will fit the same provisions of the engine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would imagine if they were going to the 21 pump they may change the engine with an engine with the provisions for the new pump already installed IE the timing gear case…. So that they dont have techs doing in frame engine tear downs to swap the timing case unless they do develop an adapter…. Its easier to R/R engine and send it out than having an in frame tear down to pull the cam.

Users who are viewing this thread