Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Dare I say it.....??????????but, I own a couple of vehicles where the manufacturer was allowed to just extend the warranty period, for engine as well as some body related issues. I am very easy on my vehicles, in that I don’t abuse and maintain meticulously. So just an extended period of warranty pisses me off because I like to think I have a better chance than most, attaining very high mileage before a major issue. Gone are the days of yesteryear, when stuff was built to last, not to a price point or planned obsolesence.

UglyViking

Reaction score
^^^^^
I’ll be the difference between keeping mine, or going to another brand.
You mean buying a chevy? Because Ford still uses the CP4, so I don't quite understand why you would swap one CP4 for another CP4, especially considering the Ford can't be retrofitted. I suppose you could go chevy but it's ugly as sin, the GMC looks nice but you can't really put nice sized wheels without jacking the thing to the sky.

I think at this point just keep the thing and swap a CP3.

heyguy

Reaction score
I'm still hopeful RAM will come through on this one. You'd think they'd have to be considering the liability. A known issue where the truck will just randomly shut off. If someone drives off the road or is stuck in the middle of a railway crossing and dies I'm thinking a significant lawsuit would ensue costing the company millions along with very bad PR. It would be in their best interests to rectify the issue rather than a warranty extension etc.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
You mean buying a chevy? Because Ford still uses the CP4, so I don't quite understand why you would swap one CP4 for another CP4, especially considering the Ford can't be retrofitted. I suppose you could go chevy but it's ugly as sin, the GMC looks nice but you can't really put nice sized wheels without jacking the thing to the sky.

I think at this point just keep the thing and swap a CP3.
Isn’t the failure rate a lot lower in the Ford? I think I remember reading the cp4 in the Ram spins faster, or something along those lines.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Isn’t the failure rate a lot lower in the Ford? I think I remember reading the cp4 in the Ram spins faster, or something along those lines.
No hard data on this but it would appear that the failure rate of the Ford is lower than the RAM. The RAM CP4 is indeed overdriven, by 50% at that, so it would make sense it's seeing more failures. No one outside Ford/FCA/Bosch know these numbers.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Didn't it take them 6 months for a "service solution" on the bed step (actually a recall) that did not involve just removing it? Hopefully this service solution is more thought out....
Remember dealers also removed the bed step without warning from customers' trucks when they were being serviced. Just wait until you see them remove the CP4 as a preventive measure :p

mra400ex

Reaction score
No hard data on this but it would appear that the failure rate of the Ford is lower than the RAM. The RAM CP4 is indeed overdriven, by 50% at that, so it would make sense it's seeing more failures. No one outside Ford/FCA/Bosch know these numbers.
Must be the overdriving of the pump that makes it worse than the Ford failures. A local pump shop I discussed the cp4 and he said if you have the CP4 on a Ford to get the bypass kit on it so if it becomes a glitter bomb it does not spread to the injectors. I think the S&S kit is $300 or so. Several guys I know have the 6.7L Ford and had no idea about the CP4 issue and have not had it happen to them. Father in-law of a buddy of my son had his CP4 fail on his 2019. No details of miles or what all it took out. Just that it was warranty

99ls1tj

Reaction score
Sounds like a compelling reason to swap one cp4 for another to me. It's been a couple months ago, but the service advisor at my dealer said they had 3 trucks in with cp4 failures waiting on parts. One with less than 4k miles. This is not a big town dealer. I don't like the odds one bit, and I'm seriously considering a Ford if this "service solution" does not pan out (not looking good). I like the chevy drivetrain, but dang those trucks are ugly!

UglyViking

Reaction score
Must be the overdriving of the pump that makes it worse than the Ford failures. A local pump shop I discussed the cp4 and he said if you have the CP4 on a Ford to get the bypass kit on it so if it becomes a glitter bomb it does not spread to the injectors. I think the S&S kit is $300 or so. Several guys I know have the 6.7L Ford and had no idea about the CP4 issue and have not had it happen to them. Father in-law of a buddy of my son had his CP4 fail on his 2019. No details of miles or what all it took out. Just that it was warranty
Overall I wouldn't doubt that the CP4 on the Ford is more reliable. At least during my time of exploring and comparing the two I barely saw any mention of the CP4, vs the Ram forums have been more up in arms about it. It's nice that S&S offers the bypass kit so that if the CP4 grenades it doesn't wreck the engine, only the fuel system back of the pump.

On the plus side, you can actually upgrade to using a CP3, so that the failure "never happens" where as the Ford is stuck with the CP4.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Sounds like a compelling reason to swap one cp4 for another to me. It's been a couple months ago, but the service advisor at my dealer said they had 3 trucks in with cp4 failures waiting on parts. One with less than 4k miles. This is not a big town dealer. I don't like the odds one bit, and I'm seriously considering a Ford if this "service solution" does not pan out (not looking good). I like the chevy drivetrain, but dang those trucks are ugly!
I agree, odds aren't great. That said I don't fully understand that swap. Ford is generally a little more expensive than Ram on like for like items so even if you get all the money for your Ram you're gonna pay a little more to get it similarly equipped. Then you've gotta deal with the death wobble that seems to be more prevent on the Ford than the Ram.

I guess if you're looking at a new truck anyways, yeah why not. That said for likely less money than you'd lose in trade in and spend on a new Ford you can get a bulletproof CP3 swapped and the engine as a whole will be dead reliable.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I agree, odds aren't great. That said I don't fully understand that swap. Ford is generally a little more expensive than Ram on like for like items so even if you get all the money for your Ram you're gonna pay a little more to get it similarly equipped. Then you've gotta deal with the death wobble that seems to be more prevent on the Ford than the Ram.

I guess if you're looking at a new truck anyways, yeah why not. That said for likely less money than you'd lose in trade in and spend on a new Ford you can get a bulletproof CP3 swapped and the engine as a whole will be dead reliable.
yes, I could swap in a cp3 for less than I would lose in trade in, but at that point I’d be driving a 1 year old truck i paid A crap ton load of money for with no Warranty, a questionable fuel delivery system and a crappy hvac system (I won’t even mention the body mount issue).

WXman

Reaction score
Speaking of, the Internet is going to explode if RamCares comes back in here with a warranty extension instead of a swap. I would call in sick on announcement day if I was on that team :p

If a guy swaps a CP4 for a CP3, are there any other parts that need changing? Lines? Injectors? Sensors? Programming? In-tank pump?

Reason I ask is because my assumption is that going to a different HPP would also require additional changes and updates to the truck, all of which are super expensive, and assuming that a manufacturer is going to retro-fit used trucks with those new systems is a pipe dream. I cannot see ANY manufacturer doing that.

Toyota had an issue with a section of their frames corroding once, and they found that it was easier to buy back the entire truck rather than try to retrofit all the old ones.

mra400ex

Reaction score

From your previous posts I agree the Ford can be a little more expensive. On all diesels I have read one of the best upgrades is a Fass Fuel system. Lower micron filtering and stops aeration. On the Ram they recommend you drop the tank and modify the module to allow fuel pickup better. AS you know, I did the switch to a Ford with 7.3L gas. SO far so good. Pulls my 11K trailer like a top. But anyway, local shops all recommend the Fass system. Especially on the Duramax too. On resale a neighbor just traded a 2011 f250 w 6.7L with over 100k and got like $22K trade in. I felt that was a decent number but could be wrong. They also dropped off MSRP some also. Around our area the Suoerduties seem to move out of dealers quickly. I still want to see Ram step up on this issue with the CP4. Worse part of it is being without your truck if you use it for a living.

Users who are viewing this thread