Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

carl2591

Reaction score
not really,,, you get one bulletproofed you have a one dam fine truck. the power is eppic and the reliability is eppic.. only issues is they quit making them in 2007,. the next engine was the 6.4,, that was the OH HELL NO engine. a beast when running ....

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Had a few of them. Faster than a big block gasser, but lousy fuel economy and poor reliability.
Fun truck to drive

RVTRKN

Reaction score
not really,,, you get one bulletproofed you have a one dam fine truck. the power is eppic and the reliability is eppic.. only issues is they quit making them in 2007,. the next engine was the 6.4,, that was the OH HELL NO engine. a beast when running ....
That reminds me of my 07 3500 CC, awesome truck, UNTIL Dodge updated the ECM, then $8K dollars later, it was a damn fine truck. When paying the prices of these trucks, they should be bullet proof the day you buy it, regardless of the make. My 2019 3500 is leaps and bounds better, but the unexpected CP4.2 in my truck has me worried and again I'll have to spend more money to upgrade the factory mistake.

D

Deleted member 80

Yes, really. I learned my Navijunk lesson prior to the 6 Oh-No with two 6.9 pieces of Intrashnational. I knew folks who lost their arses, and jeopardized their businesses after multiple engine failures. They didn't buy their Ferds as a do-it-yourself truck building kit. The 6.0 is a half-step above the GM 350 converto-diesel hand grenade.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I am not seeing many failures on the forums. I have talked to a lot of hotshot and drivers for Horizon transport who are all 2017+ Cummins owners - many with 500,000 miles and bever had a CP4 failure. They have had mechanical issues but $5000 in fixes with 500,000 miles is pretty good.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I think the 4’s in the 17’s and 18’s were the gooder ones. :rolleyes:
Should have clarified - 2017 to 2018 very few issues in general and a the ones with 2019+ no CP4 issues.

So overall Ram makes a good product. All brands have certain issues....as for the CP4 I don;t really see any huge problematic failures.

Ya it sucks if your the lucky one. but all diesel owners will have been stranded on a trip for one mechanical failure or another at some point. You drive enough miles it will happen.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
For the owner of one with a glitter bomb, life must be awful. I wouldn’t know what to think.

Talked to my Ford diesel tech friend. We became friends because I had 3 Fords with 2008 diesels and it was like “musical trucks” for years. One or two in the shop and one patched up and barely running. I mean fellas, it was almost comical for a while. I literally could have hired him as a “personal diesel mechanic” with the Ford diesels. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the rest of the truck was nice. Great transmission, solid, heavy duty truck. Diesel engine was a pile. I have farm tractors with 8.3L Cummins, SISU diesels, and they are so trouble free. Why were these Diesel engines so awful? Of course emissions is a big reason.
Anyway, my Ford Diesel tech friend says Ford pump failures were pretty seldom.

I really wanted this truck to be “the bomb” (in a GOOD way LOL). This has cast some doubt and now I don’t know what to think. Coming off the multiple Fords, I bet anything will be better.

Last edited:

clawdog79

Reaction score
I am not seeing many failures on the forums. I have talked to a lot of hotshot and drivers for Horizon transport who are all 2017+ Cummins owners - many with 500,000 miles and bever had a CP4 failure. They have had mechanical issues but $5000 in fixes with 500,000 miles is pretty good.

I’ve read about several failures on various forums and YouTube. Plus, many people aren’t on the forums or YouTube. My guess is there will be many more failures in the future since the 19-20 trucks with CP4s are still relatively new. Ram went to a new pump (basically a CP3) in 2021 for a very good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

Am I reading correctly that Ford uses the CP-4?
Yes, the 6.7 has run it. Yes, they have plenty of failures. I have run across some mega-threads about it on Ferd forums. The CP4 is junk for everybody.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
So for what its worth, one friend of mine is an experienced Ford diesel tech and is the "go-to-guy" for fixing Ford diesels. I have taken my 6.4's to him for almost 10 years. He works at a large Ford truck dealership and people travel from 50 miles to get their trucks to him. He has fixed the impossible for me.
I asked him "How common are CP-4 pump failures?"
His answer was "only seen a few".

Now I know what some of you might be thinking...like he wants me to buy a Ford truck from their dealership...... he already knows I bought a new Ram and he is openly, brutally honest about Ford issues with the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7..... he doesn't sugar-coat anything.

So why would Fords have only a few pump failures? Does Ford have a better fuel system?

I am in NO WAY saying this pump may not be a CP-3 in terms of reliability, or the failures posted are not legitimate, but is it possible that this is being overblown and hyped up a bit? It doesnt take too many failures of a small percentage of pumps to get people thinking all the pumps are bad.

GBB

Reaction score
“Only seen a few”...at his dearlship..there are 1000’s more dealerships across the US.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
How long has the CP-4 been in the 6.7L?
"Only a few" at a dealership that services the bulk of the Ford diesels in my very populated area is a lot of Ford 6.7's!

Before this goes on any further, I want to make sure its known I am not saying there are NO CP-4 failures or its on par with the CP-3.
Im just trying to find out whats real and whats hype.

GBB

Reaction score
19 and 20 model years for Ram...don’t know about the Fords

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Hello to all, I have been patiently reading all related posts relating to this issue and it appears their seems to be a common issue and concern, That is fuel quality and filtration. Many people can not be sure what the quality of fuel they are pumping into their tanks at the pump. We all place a great deal of trust into these fuel stations and believe we are actually getting what is posted at the pump. How many times have you been at the fuel station and witnessed the tanker truck delivering fuel in a rain storm or a snow storm. Their is always a possibility that the fuel could get contaminated. I have read that diesel fuel in other parts of the world have higher cetane and sulfur ratings than in the US. Sulfur in the fuel acts as a lubricant, which is what the CP4 needs to keep it from shaving apart in little metal pieces that gets pumped all thru your fuel system. I have read that the CP4 is popular in other parts of the world and they are not experiencing issues as widespread like here in the US, My point is this. The high tolerances in the CP4 unit and the lack of higher lubrication properties in our fuel add up the the nightmare that several people are experiencing. I have always added some sort of fuel conditioner in my 2019 Ram and I will be adding an additional fuel filter device in the very near future to assist and possibly prevent a total failure and not to be stranded on the side of the road with my family on a dark roadway in the middle of nowhere. Ram has a problem they need to address with its loyal customers and make good on some type of solution. In the mean time we have to do whatever we can to keep our trucks safe and reliable if and until a positive plan is made to correct the situation. Stay safe and enjoy your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread